impmonkey

Keep certain VM's running without array started

27 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hmm.. I‘m sorry I have only „tested“ this behaviour with the power outage I had. I did not stop the array with the GUI or anything. I thought the array is offline during a parity check which is definitely not right.

I forgot I had my array in „auto start“.

Nevertheless, it would be really a good idea to be able to run VMs from unassigned devices or cache drives with the array offline.

Sorry again = (

Allowing access to array members (cache included) while the array is stopped is probably not going to happen, for various reasons Tom has stated before.

However...

I see no real reason that we couldn't allow VM's that aren't on the array to operate. It's not like you couldn't set up a VM configuration where all the required elements were on a non array device, but it wouldn't be able to easily share those elements with the VM's currently configured. You would need a separate XML storage location, and an iso location for install media.

Maybe a GUI section for array limited VM's, and another for VM's on unassigned devices?

As soon as limetech actually takes control of UD instead of relying on dlandon to maintain it, I see no reason why we can't have 2 VM types. However, as long as limetech doesn't actively manage unassigned devices, it's probably not going to happen unless someone writes a plugin.