[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi

2 minutes ago, IamSpartacus said:
5 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

At no point did I infer that it should. 

Honestly that wasn't aimed at you. I realize now it was a little harsh and attack like, but I was just posting the phrase that I use when clients try to bully me into doing things.

It was a referendum on the entire situation, not a dig at you. This particular container has been a hotbed of torch and pitchfork bearing folks trying to reason, wheedle and cajole ls.io into changing their delayed update policy on unifi. It's been an ongoing issue for the better part of 6 months now, and you stepped into it without knowing the history. Originally the container was updated very quickly, and it caused a great deal of support problems.

Forum posts are really bad at conveying tone, I meant my post as a supportive rallying call to ls.io to stay the course, keep calm and carry on.

Honestly that wasn't aimed at you. I realize now it was a little harsh and attack like, but I was just posting the phrase that I use when clients try to bully me into doing things.

It was a referendum on the entire situation, not a dig at you. This particular container has been a hotbed of torch and pitchfork bearing folks trying to reason, wheedle and cajole ls.io into changing their delayed update policy on unifi. It's been an ongoing issue for the better part of 6 months now, and you stepped into it without knowing the history. Originally the container was updated very quickly, and it caused a great deal of support problems.

Forum posts are really bad at conveying tone, I meant my post as a supportive rallying call to ls.io to stay the course, keep calm and carry on.
That's the best thing, we don't delay the release. When it's available we update. But Ubnt say it's released, but they don't release it as a deb for another week or so. I love their hardware, but everything else about the company annoys me.

All points well taken.  Yes, the way UniFi handles releases is infuriating.  Even right now they have listed their latest AP firmware as released over 2 weeks ago but since there's a known bug with it, it hasn't been pushed to the repo and the rumor is they are scrapping it and will be releasing a later version.  Why they still have it listed as the latest release over 2 weeks later is beyond me.

Just a footnote, 90% of the docker containers I use are Linuxserver.io's so trust me I am a huge supported of you guys and all the volunteer work you do.  I always recommend your containers to friends and colleagues.  Thank you for the work that you put in.

Just a footnote, 90% of the docker containers I use are Linuxserver.io's so trust me I am a huge supported of you guys and all the volunteer work you do.  I always recommend your containers to friends and colleagues.  Thank you for the work that you put in.

Thanks man, appreciated

So how was the bear hug? hopefully it didn't turn into a  circle ?

anyhow new to the unifi stuff, installed the docker, always easy with LSIO, and I have read the whole update posts.

But my question is more stupid than stable or unstable, to update it we wait for the unstable to move to the stable? that will take of the care of it, or do you update from the software?

asking for a friend

I come bearing pitchforks and hatred! 

... for being such a n00b (is that word even used anymore?)

So I'm a "spend hours messing with my server then forget about it for a month" type of person so I forget a lot of stuff and just want to confirm something before I do it and really appreciate any help.

I am currently using a different repo's container. Not sure why, but I think it was because I was told that a feature I wanted was in the beta, and that repo has a beta branch. When I saw that the feature wasn't there, I didn't bother trying to change it to LSIO since I didn't wanna go through the hassle (and that container just worked).

I went to check it out and notice it's still on 5.7.19 (which is definitely not Beta). So they aren't really maintaining it. After reading the last few pages of this thread, it makes a ton of sense to not mess with beta's for something that I'll get a ton of grief for by my family if it breaks the internet worse than Kim K's naked backside.

If I want to switch to the LSIO container while keeping everything else the same, would I just have to do the following:

1. Make a backup in the controller.
  2. Make note of the IP & Ports of the current container (I'm using br0 as network type and a custom IP).
  3. Delete the current container.
  4. Install the LSIO container, entering the IP (custom br0 is fine?) & Ports. (I assume that I need to use linuxserver/unifi:unstable as the LTS is older than the backup I'll make and won't work?)
  5. Restore the backup in the controller.
  6. Profit?

Am I missing any crucial steps?

Lastly, the current container I am using resets to default after every update. So I turned off auto update on it. Does this one do the same?

Sorry again for the ignorance. I usually just mess around until things work (helps with learning... sometimes) but I don't wanna chance it with this.

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, RevelRob said:

I come bearing pitchforks and hatred! 

... for being such a n00b (is that word even used anymore?)

So I'm a "spend hours messing with my server then forget about it for a month" type of person so I forget a lot of stuff and just want to confirm something before I do it and really appreciate any help.

I am currently using a different repo's container. Not sure why, but I think it was because I was told that a feature I wanted was in the beta, and that repo has a beta branch. When I saw that the feature wasn't there, I didn't bother trying to change it to LSIO since I didn't wanna go through the hassle (and that container just worked).

I went to check it out and notice it's still on 5.7.19 (which is definitely not Beta). So they aren't really maintaining it. After reading the last few pages of this thread, it makes a ton of sense to not mess with beta's for something that I'll get a ton of grief for by my family if it breaks the internet worse than Kim K's naked backside.

If I want to switch to the LSIO container while keeping everything else the same, would I just have to do the following:

1. Make a backup in the controller.
  2. Make note of the IP & Ports of the current container (I'm using br0 as network type and a custom IP).
  3. Delete the current container.
  4. Install the LSIO container, entering the IP (custom br0 is fine?) & Ports. (I assume that I need to use linuxserver/unifi:unstable as the LTS is older than the backup I'll make and won't work?)
  5. Restore the backup in the controller.
  6. Profit?

Am I missing any crucial steps?

Lastly, the current container I am using resets to default after every update. So I turned off auto update on it. Does this one do the same?

Sorry again for the ignorance. I usually just mess around until things work (helps with learning... sometimes) but I don't wanna chance it with this.

Thanks!

If you choose the "unstable" branch it will be 5.8.24

If that is the version you are currently using. Just make a Unifi backup, and import it on the new LS container. 

• Like 1

My three APs randomly go into "adopting" mode all the time.  One at a time, or two at a time.  Resetting (software sometimes, hardware always) them usually brings them back to "Connected," until the next day, when one randomly drops to "adopting" again.  Traffic still passes.... The devices are still on the network serving clients.  The controller just can't talk to them anymore.  

Advice?

ETA 

I think I fixed STUN issues last time by putting unfi in host mode.  Then, Fix Common Problem has a heart attack and spits out red errors.

Edited by tucansam
46 minutes ago, tucansam said:

My three APs randomly go into "adopting" mode all the time.  One at a time, or two at a time.  Resetting (software sometimes, hardware always) them usually brings them back to "Connected," until the next day, when one randomly drops to "adopting" again.  Traffic still passes.... The devices are still on the network serving clients.  The controller just can't talk to them anymore.  

Advice?

ETA 

I think I fixed STUN issues last time by putting unfi in host mode.  Then, Fix Common Problem has a heart attack and spits out red errors.

Did you add the port for STUN in the container template? 

16 hours ago, saarg said:

It should, but might for unknown reasons not be in his template. 

one odd issue, when i setup my docker i went ahead and tied to the cloud ever since i cannot access the local docker, meaning i cant login with the creds that i chose. I have to go to the unifi website to manage my AP's it odd.

16 hours ago, saarg said:

It should, but might for unknown reasons not be in his template. 

What is the STUN port? I have the same issue and had to set my UniFi container into br0 mode.

Ports mapped via my template are: 8080, 8081, 8443, 8843, 8880

What other ports can I add to prevent constant re-adopting and put this back into bridge mode?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, ijuarez said:

one odd issue, when i setup my docker i went ahead and tied to the cloud ever since i cannot access the local docker, meaning i cant login with the creds that i chose. I have to go to the unifi website to manage my AP's it odd.

I never tried their cloud stuff, so can't help you.

• trurl locked this topic