Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

2 hours ago, ruthan said:

Hello i just want to ask, if Its possible to mount partition from unassigned devices into unraid VM, and if yes how?

Why? Inside the VM you'd be able to access the disk using SMB. Since it is local to the same machine, it is quite fast.

But if you really needed to pass it through this would not be the place to ask. Check out SpaceInvader One's (on youtube) videos on passthrough. I know you can pass through a SATA controller and pass the disk through that way. Not sure if you can just pass through a single disk. 

Hi,

After reading carefully your first post I activated security in your plugin. I have my desktop pc running and accessing a disk mounted in UD (more precise accessing a mapped network share located in this disk). But also a vm is accessing it. I get an error mesage in my vm when trying to access the mapped network share saying in windows two machines cannot access the same share/disk simultaneously. This happens after my desktop pc already accessed the mapped share. Is there any way to solve this?

Also, I read it is recommended to create a user and set a password in Unraid and that both should match the Windows_desktop/vm  user+password that will access Unraid to avoid login problems. Is it like this when using UD too? Do I need to set the root password the same as the one used in the new user that I created?

Feel free to ask if you need more info.

Rgds.

Why? Inside the VM you'd be able to access the disk using SMB. Since it is local to the same machine, it is quite fast.

But if you really needed to pass it through this would not be the place to ask. Check out SpaceInvader One's (on youtube) videos on passthrough. I know you can pass through a SATA controller and pass the disk through that way. Not sure if you can just pass through a single disk. 

Its for gaming, i have lots bad experiences with network shares for gaming disc, local device is everytime better.

5 hours ago, luca2 said:

Also, I read it is recommended to create a user and set a password in Unraid and that both should match the Windows_desktop/vm  user+password that will access Unraid to avoid login problems. Is it like this when using UD too? Do I need to set the root password the same as the one used in the new user that I created?

There are 2 parts to network security generally. Authentication (login) and Authorization (what the user is allowed to do). unRAID authenticates (logs in) the user, and UD authorizes the user to access the device. There is no way to login to UD, just a login to unRAID.

Also, root user has no network access. If you try to login as root, you only get guest access to public shares. If you notice, there is no way for you to authorize root user when setting up private or secure shares.

4 hours ago, windlok1010 said:

Hi all, Newbie here.

I would like to mount a SMB share (Synology) on Unraid. I can choose the Share (Download Station in this case) from "Add Remote SMB/NFS Share" so I am pretty sure the Username and Password are correct. However I cannot mount it. 

Any Insight? Thanks.

WhatsApp Image 2017-07-13 at 12.46.46 PM.jpeg

Look at the UD log and see why it doesn't mount.

6 minutes ago, windlok1010 said:

I did not type those slash. All I did was type the IP/Host (192.168.11.30), Username and Password and select the correct share after clicking "Load Shares".

May I know how to change the "auto generated" slash? Thanks.

Let UD lookup the server and share.  When you add an SMB share click on the "Search for Servers in WORKGROUP" button to lookup the servers on your network.  Select the server and then click on "Load Shares" and select the share.  Enter any credentials and add it to UD.

There may be an issue with UD when entering the IP address.  I'll have a look.

2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Let UD lookup the server and share.  When you add an SMB share click on the "Search for Servers in WORKGROUP" button to lookup the servers on your network.  Select the server and then click on "Load Shares" and select the share.  Enter any credentials and add it to UD.

There may be an issue with UD when entering the IP address.  I'll have a look.

The server did show up if I click "search for servers in WORKGROUP" but no share can be find after clicking "Load Shares".

I will try to set up another working smb server to see if there is a bug in the plugin or anything else.

56 minutes ago, windlok1010 said:

I did not type those slash. All I did was type the IP/Host (192.168.11.30), Username and Password and select the correct share after clicking "Load Shares".

May I know how to change the "auto generated" slash? Thanks.

The "//" are correct for UD mounts.

When you add an SMB or NFS share and the 'Mount' button is grayed out, it means that UD cannot ping the server and therefore thinks the server is off-line and can't mount it.  Figure out why the server cannot be ping'd and it should work.  You also see the 'smb' icon shows the server is off-line.

2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Yes.  UD doesn't think the server is on-line if there is no response to the ping.

It is strange. UD can find the server when searching but think it is offline. I can mount the share using command line (this method). 

May I have some suggestions that where should I look into first?

Just now, windlok1010 said:

It is strange. UD can find the server when searching but think it is offline. I can mount the share using command line (this method). 

May I have some suggestions that where should I look into first?

Mounting the share would happen in UD if the server responded to the ping.  UD won't even attempt to mount the share if the server doesn't respond to a ping.  Get the server to respond to the ping, and UD will allow mounting the share.

See if there is an option on the server to respond to pings.

8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Mounting the share would happen in UD if the server responded to the ping.  UD won't even attempt to mount the share if the server doesn't respond to a ping.  Get the server to respond to the ping, and UD will allow mounting the share.

See if there is an option on the server to respond to pings.

YOU ARE THE BEST! I put the IP address on Unraid in the whitelist of the firewall setting on the synology and now UD can successfully mounted the shares.

I had trouble mounting my Windows 10 SMB shares, until I remembered that I had disabled SMB v1 earlier this year, after the WannaCry attacks.
After enabling it again, mounting works fine!

(When I had SMBv1 disabled I could mount the SMB shares from a Windows 10 VM running on unRAID, but couldn't mount them from UD. This made my head spin for a while.)

On 13/7/2017 at 0:37 AM, trurl said:

There are 2 parts to network security generally. Authentication (login) and Authorization (what the user is allowed to do). unRAID authenticates (logs in) the user, and UD authorizes the user to access the device. There is no way to login to UD, just a login to unRAID.

Also, root user has no network access. If you try to login as root, you only get guest access to public shares. If you notice, there is no way for you to authorize root user when setting up private or secure shares.

Thx for help trurl. I checked again and it works.

Now, although I have not setup security in my shares, but I did in UD, the first time I access from a windows machine in my network to Unraid it asks for a login. Should this happen? Also, what happens if I activate security now also in my unraid shares?

Rgds.

• trurl pinned this topic