binhex

[Support] binhex - DelugeVPN

6107 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello,

I followed VPN Docker FAQ but I'm still experiencing slow downloads.

I subscribed to PIA, using port forwarding endpoint (France), port are opened, using reiserfs filesystem, Rate limit IP overhead is unticked.

Could you please help me to find the reason?

Thanks

supervisord.log

1 hour ago, neuk34 said:

Hello,

I followed VPN Docker FAQ but I'm still experiencing slow downloads.

I subscribed to PIA, using port forwarding endpoint (France), port are opened, using reiserfs filesystem, Rate limit IP overhead is unticked.

Could you please help me to find the reason?

Thanks

supervisord.log

If you read the FAQ you should have seen that you need to redact your vpn user/pass from the log. The first thing you need to do is change your password asap.

Also in the FAQ (somewhere), you should've seen that in order to get the optimal speed you should reduce your upload speed, have you done that? You need to limit it to about 80%  of what your connection can handle. 

And you have followed the rest of the FAQ, specifically Q6 here: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?do=findComment&comment=433613

In addition to that here's another tip:

your ISP might be throttling your vpn connection. Try different ports and protocol if your vpn provider supports it. It's been a couple years since I tried PIA but at least then they supported connection over different ports and protocols, don't know if that has changed. I remember when I was using PIA, the only way I could get decent speed was when I was connecting over TCP port 53 and maybe 443. All UDP ports were throttled by my ISP. I know where I live ISP's are commonly throttling UDP VPN connections. I've had this issue with several ISP's and VPN providers. But switching port/protocol usually does the trick. 

21 hours ago, binhex said:

ok thats going to be a problem then as it will clash with the containers openvpn process, you need to disable that if you want to use this container.

OK.  Thank you for confirming my suspicions.  I'll disable it and use an openvpn docker for the same duties.

On 1/25/2019 at 9:59 AM, binhex said:

ok thats going to be a problem then as it will clash with the containers openvpn process, you need to disable that if you want to use this container.

I turned off the QNAP OpenVPN service and everything is working now.

Thank you.

Hi @binhex, using the DelugeVPN docker with wlvpn (the free VPN of NewsHosting account), but I got a new Windscribe account (Pro version Lifetime deal).   Windscribe now support "Port Forwarding".  I would like to know if I can use this with DelugeVPN docker?  Do I only need what is the Port Number that i'm assigned by Windscribe and add it as a Variable of the docker page of DelugeVPN ?  Thanks!

22 hours ago, Pducharme said:

Hi @binhex, using the DelugeVPN docker with wlvpn (the free VPN of NewsHosting account), but I got a new Windscribe account (Pro version Lifetime deal).   Windscribe now support "Port Forwarding".  I would like to know if I can use this with DelugeVPN docker?  Do I only need what is the Port Number that i'm assigned by Windscribe and add it as a Variable of the docker page of DelugeVPN ?  Thanks!

as long as windscribe supports openvpn clients then yep it should work just fine, just download the openvpn config file(s) and certs, put them in /config/openvpn and then set the vpn username and password credentials via the env vars. as far as port forwarding goes, if windscribe allocate you a static port them you simply go to deluge and set the port through the deluge web ui and you are done.

[Update: issue resolved via this FAQ entry:

Q13. I can see from the '/config/supervisord.log' file that the openvpn process keeps getting killed every 30 seconds on my QNAP appliance, what could be the cause of this?

A13. For some reason (unknown at this time) QNAP decided to kill any openvpn process running on the host by adding in a line to the 'daemon_mgr.conf' file. In order to prevent this you need to delete the following line from the 'daemon_mgr.conf':-

DAEMONxx = openvpn, stop, /usr/sbin/openvpn

Where xx will be 2 random digits.

Additional note: found instructions on how to use WinSCP to edit the daemon_mgr.conf file on QNAP here: https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=117004#p519883

end update.]

Hi, been working through setting up DelugeVPN in a Docker container on QNAP. Have it basically working, but get occasional errors. Using this script:

docker run  \

--cap-add=NET_ADMIN \

-p 8112:8112 \

-p 8118:8118 \

-p 58846:58846 \

-p 58946:58946 \

--name=delugevpn \

-v /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/appdata/delugevpn/data:/data \

-v /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/appdata/delugevpn/config:/config \

-v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \

-e VPN_USER=[removed] \

-e VPN_PASS=[rempved]  \

-e VPN_PROV=torguard \

-e STRICT_PORT_FORWARD=yes \

-e ENABLE_PRIVOXY=yes \

-e LAN_NETWORK=192.168.1.0/24 \

-e NAME_SERVERS=209.222.18.222,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,8.8.8.8,209.222.18.218,37.235.1.177,1.0.0.1,8.8.4.4 \

-e DELUGE_DAEMON_LOG_LEVEL=info \

-e DELUGE_WEB_LOG_LEVEL=info \

-e DEBUG=false \

-e UMASK=000 \

-e PUID=0 \

-e PGID=0 \

binhex/arch-delugevpn

I seem to get it running, and it does connect through VPN and show the right VPN external IP address. However, I regularly see this error:

2019-01-29 11:09:20,815 DEBG 'start-script' stdout output:
Tue Jan 29 11:09:20 2019 ERROR: Linux route add command failed: external program exited with error status: 2

Is this something of concern?

Possibly related, when I go to the Privoxy port (8118), a web page loads but I only see this error message: "Invalid header received from client."

Appreciate any feedback or assistance, with thanks!

Edited by Dublindog
Solved problem.

For the life of me, I can't fix my speed issues. I'm using PIA per SpaceInvaders youtube guide. I can only get around 1Mb downloads no matter what server I try.

Any suggestions?

Hey all! Trying to get the DelugeVPN container to work.  Followed SpaceInvaderOne's tutorial but seem to have an issue with torrents not starting.  They get added but forever stay paused at 0%.

I am using PIA and input my user and pass into the config, changed STRICT_PORT_FORWARD and ENABLE_PRIVOXY to yes, selected a PIA Server that supports port forwarding (CA Toronto) and placed that ovpn file in the openvpn folder along with the 2 ca.rsa.2048 files.  Everything appears fine when it starts but when I add torrents they just stay paused at 0%.  Any thoughts? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, jvorn said:

Hey all! Trying to get the DelugeVPN container to work.  Followed SpaceInvaderOne's tutorial but seem to have an issue with torrents not starting.  They get added but forever stay paused at 0%.

I am using PIA and input my user and pass into the config, changed STRICT_PORT_FORWARD and ENABLE_PRIVOXY to yes, selected a PIA Server that supports port forwarding (CA Toronto) and placed that ovpn file in the openvpn folder along with the 2 ca.rsa.2048 files.  Everything appears fine when it starts but when I add torrents they just stay paused at 0%.  Any thoughts? Thanks!

Sorry if this is a silly question, but are they actually paused?  That is, are you adding them in a paused state?  And if so, does pressing the "Resume" button at the top do anything?

Just now, Cessquill said:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but are they actually paused?  That is, are you adding them in a paused state?  And if so, does pressing the "Resume" button at the top do anything?

Yes sorry I should have said that, pressing resume appears to change nothing.

I'm guessing misconfigured volume mappings. Please post your docker run command or screenshot of the template settings and a screenshot of the deluge download settings.

Edit: And be sure to redact any username/password

Edited by strike

3 minutes ago, strike said:

I'm guessing misconfigured volume mappings. Please post your docker run command or screenshot of the template settings and a screenshot of the deluge download settings.

Forgive my ignorance, is the docker run command found in the logs for the docker?

Just make a change in the container template, change it back then hit apply. The docker run command will then pop up in a window. paste it here, but redact any username/password

1 minute ago, strike said:

Just make a change in the container template, change it back then hit apply. The docker run command will then pop up in a window. paste it here, but redact any username/password

Thanks!  Run command:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='binhex-delugevpn' --net='bridge' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VPN_ENABLED'='yes' -e 'VPN_USER'='REDACTED' -e 'VPN_PASS'='REDACTED' -e 'VPN_PROV'='pia' -e 'VPN_OPTIONS'='' -e 'STRICT_PORT_FORWARD'='yes' -e 'ENABLE_PRIVOXY'='yes' -e 'LAN_NETWORK'='192.168.1.0/24' -e 'NAME_SERVERS'='209.222.18.222,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,8.8.8.8,209.222.18.218,37.235.1.177,1.0.0.1,8.8.4.4' -e 'DELUGE_DAEMON_LOG_LEVEL'='info' -e 'DELUGE_WEB_LOG_LEVEL'='info' -e 'DEBUG'='true' -e 'UMASK'='000' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -p '8112:8112/tcp' -p '58846:58846/tcp' -p '58946:58946/tcp' -p '58946:58946/udp' -p '8118:8118/tcp' -v '/mnt/user/downloads/':'/data':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-delugevpn':'/config':'rw' 'binhex/arch-delugevpn' 

006a8d92a28b4bdbfdb873f5a604e8766389e1c2c953c2eda6aba34951e6b145

delugesettings.thumb.PNG.38992e017b349f32f887cea005c97ce6.PNGdelugedownloadsettings.PNG.c25438599cacb50caeb0fe8249a58475.PNG

7 hours ago, strike said:

Have you read my post further up? Link to it: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44109-support-binhex-delugevpn/?do=findComment&comment=715291

Just ignore the first part regarding the password, that was for another user.

Thanks for the link, I think it got me looking in the right place.

I had to install PIA's client on my PC to find out what ports the server I'm connecting to supports. I found one that gives decent speeds on my PC.

What I'm not sure of is how to get Deluge's VPN to use that port. Also, testing on my PC I got way better performance with UDP instead of TCP, but I'm not sure how to make it use UDP. 

Just for some more info, I have a 1Gb connection. Sepeedtest on my PC with PIA I get 70Mb/8Mb.  

For whatever reason, even with 2 or 3 torrents going with multiple seeds on them, it seems like DelugeVPN is capped at 1..2Mb, I just can't seem to get faster than that.

10 minutes ago, jvorn said:

Thanks!  Run command:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='binhex-delugevpn' --net='bridge' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VPN_ENABLED'='yes' -e 'VPN_USER'='REDACTED' -e 'VPN_PASS'='REDACTED' -e 'VPN_PROV'='pia' -e 'VPN_OPTIONS'='' -e 'STRICT_PORT_FORWARD'='yes' -e 'ENABLE_PRIVOXY'='yes' -e 'LAN_NETWORK'='192.168.1.0/24' -e 'NAME_SERVERS'='209.222.18.222,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,8.8.8.8,209.222.18.218,37.235.1.177,1.0.0.1,8.8.4.4' -e 'DELUGE_DAEMON_LOG_LEVEL'='info' -e 'DELUGE_WEB_LOG_LEVEL'='info' -e 'DEBUG'='true' -e 'UMASK'='000' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -p '8112:8112/tcp' -p '58846:58846/tcp' -p '58946:58946/tcp' -p '58946:58946/udp' -p '8118:8118/tcp' -v '/mnt/user/downloads/':'/data':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-delugevpn':'/config':'rw' 'binhex/arch-delugevpn' 

006a8d92a28b4bdbfdb873f5a604e8766389e1c2c953c2eda6aba34951e6b145

delugesettings.thumb.PNG.38992e017b349f32f887cea005c97ce6.PNGdelugedownloadsettings.PNG.c25438599cacb50caeb0fe8249a58475.PNG

That looks good. Do you have a cache drive or are your downloads share on the array? If you have a cache drive I want you to try and change your /mnt/user/downloads to /mnt/cache/downloads and change your appdata to use cache instead of user also. Restart the conatiner after. If you still have issues please follow this procedure: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?do=findComment&comment=435831

1 hour ago, jvorn said:

click on the container and goto console then run

curl ifconfig.co

That will show the ip inside the container. 

Then goto https://www.iplocation.net/

you will see your wan ip here (not through the vpn) they should be different

Then paste the ip from the curl command into the ip lookup page on the above location. It should report the location as CA Toronto.

If it doesnt maybe something wrong with your openvpn config files

7 minutes ago, shaunvis said:

Thanks for the link, I think it got me looking in the right place.

I had to install PIA's client on my PC to find out what ports the server I'm connecting to supports. I found one that gives decent speeds on my PC.

What I'm not sure of is how to get Deluge's VPN to use that port. Also, testing on my PC I got way better performance with UDP instead of TCP, but I'm not sure how to make it use UDP. 

Just for some more info, I have a 1Gb connection. Sepeedtest on my PC with PIA I get 70Mb/8Mb.  

For whatever reason, even with 2 or 3 torrents going with multiple seeds on them, it seems like DelugeVPN is capped at 1..2Mb, I just can't seem to get faster than that.

To change the connection port you have to replace .ovpn file with a different one that uses the port you want. Search PIA's website for it, I think the link is in this thread also.  The default port is 1198 UDP. But they have a link with alternative ports. Have you confirmed that you get an incoming port from the server? check the logs

24 minutes ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

click on the container and goto console then run

curl ifconfig.co

That will show the ip inside the container. 

Then goto https://www.iplocation.net/

you will see your wan ip here (not through the vpn) they should be different

Then paste the ip from the curl command into the ip lookup page on the above location. It should report the location as CA Toronto.

If it doesnt maybe something wrong with your openvpn config files

Everything looks good here, IP is different and reporting Toronto.

50 minutes ago, strike said:

That looks good. Do you have a cache drive or are your downloads share on the array? If you have a cache drive I want you to try and change your /mnt/user/downloads to /mnt/cache/downloads and change your appdata to use cache instead of user also. Restart the conatiner after. If you still have issues please follow this procedure: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?do=findComment&comment=435831

I do have a cache drive and did your change.  Nothing appeared to be different (torrents still stuck at paused).  Here is the log requested:

supervisord.log

19 minutes ago, jvorn said:

Everything looks good here, IP is different and reporting Toronto.

Can you check in deluge preferences/network that you dont have peer exchange or dht enabled