unRAID Server release 4.5 "final" Available

limetech

The problem I have is with 4.5 beta 6 the HPA was there and I could live with it.

When I upgraded to 4.5 final then things started messing up.

I just want to know if I just go back to 4.5 beta 6 because it worked and existed with the HPA just fine for the past 6 or more months.

I would like to have UNRAID just ignore the HPA and leave it as is, or at least have the option to do so.

You can try updating the BIOS of the motherboard also and see if there is now an option to turn it off completely.  It sounds like Gigabyte may have added that as an option now.  If you do update the BIOS and then turn the HPA off via BIOS the "issue" may go away.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone provide a working url of Syslinux that works with v4.5?

I believe the last one listed on the LimeTech downloads page was the v3.63 version, so here is a direct link to the original of it:  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Old/syslinux-3.63.zip

I don't know of any reason why you should not use the latest though, as of a couple of days ago, v3.84:  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/syslinux-3.84.zip

Those zip files are 2.4 and 5 megabyte files, but the only file you need to extract is syslinux.exe from the win32 folder within the zip.  It is only 24KB or 28KB.

They are from the syslinux web site, as linked on the USB Flash Drive Preparation page.

I have a pretty stable 4.3.3 final setup with 14 disks and just upgrade two 2TB parity yesterday, there are a few things I would like from 4.5, Is there anything I should do or be prepared for in advance of upgrading.

The first post of each release announcement has all the instructions you need, but there is a little additional related info in the FAQ entry:  "How do I upgrade the unRAID software?"

All you really need to do is extract bzroot, bzimage, and memtest to your flash drive, and reboot.

I believe the last one listed on the LimeTech downloads page was the v3.63 version, so here is a direct link to the original of it:  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Old/syslinux-3.63.zip

I don't know of any reason why you should not use the latest though, as of a couple of days ago, v3.84:  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/syslinux-3.84.zip

Those zip files are 2.4 and 5 megabyte files, but the only file you need to extract is syslinux.exe from the win32 folder within the zip.  It is only 24KB or 28KB.

They are from the syslinux web site, as linked on the USB Flash Drive Preparation page.

Thanks, great answer, just what I needed to know.

I'm getting Bandwidth Limit Exceeded when I try and download the syslinux.zip. I found the full syslinux-3.84.zip but wasn't sure if it's good enough, but now I know.  :)

Hi,

I have been running 4.4.2 for quite a while and my server has been stable.

I recently upgraded to 4.5 and have noticed that my server freezes up after a period of no usage, like about 6 or 8 hours. Never had this issue on 4.4.2

i tryed the 4.5.13 beta but switched to the final in a day or 2, so i don't know if the problem was happening with the beta. My hardware configuration has not changed since i installed 4.4.2 either, so i am a bit puzzeled as to what is happening here. Being a linux noob doesn't help either.

I am attaching the last log file.

Thanks,

Gary

I wanted to report back and let you know that my server has been fine for a week now without any problems.

I think i narrowed down the issue to this setting in the bios

CPU enhanced halt (C1E) - enabled - changed to disabled

unraid notify and powerdown scripts are both installed and server is stable.

Thx for the help.

Gary

The problem I have is with 4.5 beta 6 the HPA was there and I could live with it.

When I upgraded to 4.5 final then things started messing up.

I just want to know if I just go back to 4.5 beta 6 because it worked and existed with the HPA just fine for the past 6 or more months.

I would like to have UNRAID just ignore the HPA and leave it as is, or at least have the option to do so.

Yes, go back and you should be fine. Run another parity check and if you see problems then do it yet again until any parity drive errors are corrected and you see a clean one.

Regarding the HPA - unRAID should never ignore these and if it now is then that's going to be a big problem for a number of people. In my opinion this is something that needs to be investigated and the behaviour corrrected.

At this stage turning off the HPA backup in the BIOS will very likely not remove the HPA that exists on the disk. Once writing to the HPA is off then it should make no difference though.

Peter

Has anyone tried creating a ram drive for their Cache drive, if you happen to have say 12GB of ram, and unraid only need 2-4GB of ram, the remaining 8-10GB could it be used as a ram drive? It would be perfect for most of my file transfers.

They make lots of 64GB Motherboards now, and memory is cheap.

Has anyone tried the ocz Z-Drive PCI-E 80GB SSD drive in unraid for a cache drive?

I know the network is the bottle neck, unless you can get teaming working or 10 Gige or inifiniband.

Some of us are crazy.

I was looking to download the older versions of unRAID, like 4.3 and 4.2, to test my new untorrent package with them.

Does anyone know if those can be found hosted someplace else?

I don't think any of us have copies of the older files available right now.  I figured by now that limetech would have resolved the issue even if it meant asking for some bandwidth support form someone for a little while.

I was looking to download the older versions of unRAID, like 4.3 and 4.2, to test my new untorrent package with them.

Does anyone know if those can be found hosted someplace else?

Purko

purko,

I've uploaded two older unRAID Server versions to RapidShare.

Here are the URLs:

unRAID 4.2.4:

http://rapidshare.com/files/324233370/unRAID_Server_4.2.4.zip

unRAID 4.3.3:

http://rapidshare.com/files/324233371/unRAID_Server_4.3.3.zip

Timeframe?  I wanted to release 5.0-beta1 simultaneous with 4.5-final, but it's going to take some more time.  But I do want to get it out before Christmas to give you guys something to experiment with in-between catching up with watching all those movies you have on your servers!

How about it? Can we expect something to play around with these boring joyful days?  ::)

the 4.5 series will continue with much smaller number of changes per "release".  For example, will probably soon produce a 4.5.1 "final" version that includes a linux kernel update.

Just a note that Linux Kernel 2.6.31.8 and 2.6.32.1 have been released recently. They both have some SCSI fixes and a ton of EXT4 fixes.

Personally, I'm waiting for 2.6.32.2 before I give that kernel stream a try.

Linux Kernel 2.6.32.2 stable as of 2009-12-18.

I'm experiencing some weird issues connecting through Windows 7 on all my machines....

This is for a User Share for Music which only has read access...

Browsing my music folder, the folder "Music" appears fine, but then sometimes when clicking on the "Music" folder takes me to an emtpy folder and windows displays "This Folder is Empty", click on Music again, my folders appear.

Same thing happens when I click on an Album folder, somtimes it displays the songs, somtimes it says the folder is emtpy, if I go back, somtimes it doesn't even list the Albums anymore either saying the "Folder is Empty"...

I don't put my disks to sleep and it seems to happen if i don't access the unraid server for a while...i've attached the syslog

Rebooting unraid fixes the issue and the actual disk share works fine.

I am also having a Win 7 problem. I am building a unraid server, so I still have the basic package setup. When I do a recursive md5 sum from Win7 on a disk level access some come back file not found. This does not happen with WinXp machines.

I built this system with 4.4.2 and upgraded to 4.5 . Downgraded to 4.4.2 Win7 md5 sums finish with no errors.

It seems my problem with Windows 7 is Windows itself.  I want to setup a hard drive in my uraid server for swap and maybe developement. I have a 40 gb drive from a Windows XP machine, it has a little over half the space used. I hooked it up to a usb adapter and connected it to my Win7 desktop to create a md5 sum, and transfer all the files to my unraid server. I  would then install the drive in the uraid server. I got a lot of file does not exist errors. Imagine that. How can windows say you  have a file named xxxx.xxx but it does not exist!!! These are not zero sized files. I am using MD5Summer version 1.2.0.11

the 4.5 series will continue with much smaller number of changes per "release".  For example, will probably soon produce a 4.5.1 "final" version that includes a linux kernel update.

Just a note that Linux Kernel 2.6.31.8 and 2.6.32.1 have been released recently. They both have some SCSI fixes and a ton of EXT4 fixes.

Personally, I'm waiting for 2.6.32.2 before I give that kernel stream a try.

Linux Kernel 2.6.32.2 stable as of 2009-12-18.

Linux Kernel 2.6.32.3 stable as of 2010-01-06.

NFS question...

I seem to have gotten it up ok and working. My XBMC ubuntu 9.10 box mounted and read the user share fine.

The problem I have run into is updating the mounted share files..

If I add files from my windows PC via samba, the linux box can't see the new files until a reboot, or if I add a file from ubuntu to nfs share.

I am mounting the nfs share in ubuntu with rw,intr,hard options...

I know little about linux, but this behavior is telling me I can't mix and match smb and nfs...  Seems like the nfs share is only updated when files change via nfs... it doesn't see samba changes until I remount or reboot unraid.

Is this the right thinking?  Cause I only have vista premium which doesn't include the SUA software for nfs shares.... (maybe I willl just have to upgrade to 7:)

Bubba, thanks for the update.  Makes sense to me that nfs/smb don't check in with each other...

I haven't tested a remount, I could and I would suspect that it would work fine.  The problem is I would have to create a xbmc script to run to do it, I would rather not.

There seems to be a smb issue with unraid and the new version of xbmc, that is what I am trying to resolve with NFS.

So I have a few options, my last option would be to create a script on the ubuntu box to unmount, remount then update my xbmc library...  Can be done I would just rather have a more turn key option, like updating to windows 7 on my main PC and use nfs from there.  Or fix the smb issue entirely...