Tips and Tweaks Plugin to possibly improve performance of Unraid and VMs

1 hour ago, BVD said:

I've found myself repeatedly sending folks the command below to run on their servers while trying to help them track down things like random disk spinup, and wondered if we might add the it to the help section for the "Max Watches fs.inotify.max_user_watches" section? It's a simple one liner that gives the total current watchers in use:

find /proc/*/fd -lname anon_inode:inotify | cut -d/ -f3 | awk '{s+=$1} END {print s}'

I suppose it could instead have something within the plugin that just runs the above and displays it as 'currently used watchers' or something as well, but that'd take a bit more doing, so I figured I'd go for the low hanging fruit here 😅

Or if you've got a better way to get to the info (or perhaps a more reliably accurate one - the number changing constantly can make it hard for folks to nail down as new pids spawn/die), I'm all for it of course! Just figured an easy way for folks to check this being on hand in the tool would be cool.

Thanks for all your work to better the UI experience @dlandon!!

Thanks for the suggestion.  Nice idea.  I'm including this in the UI.  I'm not a fan of users having to go to the command line to do things.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

My server uses a i9 11-900t but an ES (test) version so as such unraid doesn't display it's an i9 but if you request the cpu info it does know its a model 167 & that it ranges from 0.8ghz - 4.5ghz

Do you think it's worth me telling unraid what the CPU is?

I have no problem boosting but it doesn't scale down properly. Any small task will boost up to full speed.

Looking for some kind of middle ground where it can boost say from 0.8 - 2ghz. 

Then another setting would do 2 - 4.5ghz when running a cron script.

Currently performance does full wack 3.8 - 4.5ghz

and powersave does 0.8 - 1.1ghz

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

I was just playing with this app and found that the link to the WIKI for it does not work.  In fact, none of the links in the app work.  I believe they still point to lime-technology.com...

The links haven't been updated in the plugin for a long time.  They will be addressed in the next release.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, dopeytree said:

Getting lots of wrong notices. It keeps saying its starting a partity check when parity is valid (it did a check a few days ago).

Also showing notifications from quite a while ago.

Should I delete the appdata folder & reinstall to force clear logs?

This has nothing to do with the Tips and Tweaks plugin.

11 hours ago, dopeytree said:

It keeps saying its starting a partity check when parity is valid (it did a check a few days ago).

Parity checks are never automatically started by the system without a good reason or something configured to start them.    You should try opening a new thread and posting your system's diagnostics zip file taken when this happens so we can try and work out what is going on.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 11:24 AM, dopeytree said:

The plugin is not clearing old pop up notifications.

Do not quite understand what you mean by this.    There is no concept within the plugin of ‘old’ notifications that need clearing as they are simply generated in real time as appropriate and then no record kept within the plugin of this happening.    Are you talking about clearing notifications at the Unraid level?

7 hours ago, Sqibble said:

Hi there and thanks for the great plugin and support. I'm not experiencing any issues with it or my system. BUT, should I be concerned about these numbers? 😋

TipsAndTweaks.png.264fefe7841f0bc9b1d1477bf6f5568c.png

You don't have enough user watches.  Increase the 'Max User Watches' to at least 2,700,000.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

This plugin is the best!  It has saved me so much money.  I'm not sure this is the place to post issues, but I have just have one problem.  It seems the "Schedule CPU Power Saving Mode" isn't working for me.  I made sure my Unraid date and time are correct, set the schedule properly, but it still won't change to "Power saving" mode during the schedule.  I'm on Unraid 6.11.5 with Tips & Tweaks plugin dated "2023.02.01".  I att ached my diag file.  Thanks!

2023-04-18_092637.thumb.jpg.2c2586ca204c97477d0c37f54a082a9a.jpg

skynet-diagnostics-20230418-0915.zip

13 minutes ago, cjohnson46 said:

This plugin is the best!  It has saved me so much money.  I'm not sure this is the place to post issues, but I have just have one problem.  It seems the "Schedule CPU Power Saving Mode" isn't working for me.  I made sure my Unraid date and time are correct, set the schedule properly, but it still won't change to "Power saving" mode during the schedule.  I'm on Unraid 6.11.5 with Tips & Tweaks plugin dated "2023.02.01".  I att ached my diag file.  Thanks!

2023-04-18_092637.thumb.jpg.2c2586ca204c97477d0c37f54a082a9a.jpg

skynet-diagnostics-20230418-0915.zip 262.08 kB · 0 downloads

Please realize that if you make a change to the settings, the CPU mode be set to "On Demaind" and will not change to "Power Save" until 23:00 hours.  UD sets up crons to switch the mode, but doesn't switch the mode if it is in the timeframe when changes are made.

I previously had it set to 23:00 for "power save" then 09:00 for "Normal (On demand)". So you're saying that the cron won't trigger until it goes past 23:00 or 09:00.  It was set last night before 23:00 but didn't trigger/change when I checked at 07:00. I'll give it a couple more tests and see if I can figure it out.