File Activity Plugin - How can I figure out what keeps spinning up my disks?

dlandon

1 minute ago, Crys said:

Hi @dlandon

Thanks for your Answer.

Why are there so many entries? Can I compress or disable them (modify status) ? Luckily I didn't have this problem in an earlier version (or it is possible to install an earlier Version?

The idea behind file activity is to log all file activity that can potentially spin up disks.  I don't intend to make any changes to cut down the logged events as this would defeat the purpose of this plugin.

Nothing has changed in what file events are logged in a long time.  It appears the app making the modifications to the file is the issue.  Why are there so many file modifications being made by the app working with the file?

Maybe the 'Open Files' plugin would be better suited for your use case.

• Thanks 1
On 5/16/2022 at 3:26 PM, dlandon said:

Read the previous post.  The inotify watches would not start on that disk, so file activity could not run.

Thanks,

After replacing disk 6 (and xfs_repair in maintenance mode) I've got it working again. But only without cache drives, which is fine for now.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Revan335 said:

Can you separate Cache and Array?

Separate them how?

1 hour ago, Revan335 said:

Please add a Exclude Option for paths/folder and files ...

What is your use case for a feature such as this?

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Separate them how?

A separate Option. I can activated this Plugin/File Activity for Cache or for Array or for Cache & Array. At the moment I can activated this only for Cache & Array.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

What is your use case for a feature such as this?

You could then exclude the Docker directory, for example. If you use the Docker Directory instead of the single img there are too many files/operations to get anything useful out of the file activity. Since the directory is individual, you can't do a global exclude like with AppData.

17 minutes ago, Revan335 said:

A separate Option. I can activated this Plugin/File Activity for Cache or for Array or for Cache & Array. At the moment I can activated this only for Cache & Array.

Not true.  Enabling the plugin monitors activity for the Array.  The 'Enable for Cache and Pool Disks?' adds monitoring for any Cache and Pool disks.  Leave it off and only Array disks are monitored.

The plugin excludes the 'appdata' and 'syslog' shares automatically.  I should add 'system' to those though so the docker and VM images get excluded.  I'll fix this in the next release.

If you do a non traditional mapping of appdata, syslog, and system shares, the file activity plugin will monitor those.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, dlandon said:

Not true.  Enabling the plugin monitors activity for the Array.  The 'Enable for Cache and Pool Disks?' adds monitoring for any Cache and Pool disks.  Leave it off and only Array disks are monitored.

The plugin excludes the 'appdata' and 'syslog' shares automatically.  I should add 'system' to those though so the docker and VM images get excluded.  I'll fix this in the next release.

If you do a non traditional mapping of appdata, syslog, and system shares, the file activity plugin will monitor those.

Great!
Many, many thanks!

Can you maybe put this in the description of the plugin and the hints of the individual functions? Then others will understand it better. I had assumed that you need this option to use the monitoring, because it activates array/cache.

And that with Enable Plugin Monitoring you have to turn on the plugin itself and then choose from the options below what you want to monitor.

Thanks for the correction!

I have found a minor bug.

With 'Log Activity by Disk or Share?' set to 'Share' I have duplicate entries being displayed.

I have a share called 'sqwrl' and I also have a share called 'email' with a subdirectory 'email/sqwrl'. When files in my email area change they are reported twice, once for each of the two shares.

e.g.

** /mnt/user/sqwrl **

Jun 27 21:45:33 OPEN => /mnt/disk5/email/sqwrl/dovecot.index.log

** /mnt/user/email **

Jun 27 21:45:33 OPEN => /mnt/disk5/email/sqwrl/dovecot.index.log

It appears that the per share filtering is being a touch simplistic and picking up the share string in *any* part of the file path, not just the third element after /mnt/disk<n>/.