New Application: S. N. A. P.

SNAP uses unraid config files.  Tom has apparently changed the config files format so SNAP is having trouble getting the information it needs.  It's my understanding that there is an application to read the unraid config files.  Can anyone offer where to get information on this application?

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had no problems getting snap installed on my 4.7 (free - for now) build. I struggled for a bit before I discovered that my precleared disk had no partition or formatting. I was able to get it partitioned using unraid_partition_disk.sh, and now, unMenu 1.5 is showing that it's ready to be formatted. Unfortunately, I'm getting an error in formatting:

mkreiserfs hda1

mkreiserfs 3.6.21 (2009 www.namesys.com)

Stat of the device '/dev/hda1' failed.
/dev/hda1: No such file or directory

sfdisk: cannot open /dev/hda1 read-write

Any suggestions from here?

After several days, I decided to try formatting again. It seems to have succeeded, however I got this message this time

mkreiserfs hda1

Warning: start=63 - this looks like a partition rather than
the entire disk. Using fdisk on it is probably meaningless.
[use the --force option if you really want this]

I'm not sure why start=63, since I have had the 4k aligned parameter set since my initial build of the machine, and this was formatted/pre-cleared in this machine.

Am I good to go ahead and start using the disk now? Since it's only a 320GB PATA drive, will the 63/64 alignment really cause any issues? My plan is to use this drive for installing MySQL, SB, NZB, etc, not within the array itself.

Thanks.

FreeMan

I had no problems getting snap installed on my 4.7 (free - for now) build. I struggled for a bit before I discovered that my precleared disk had no partition or formatting. I was able to get it partitioned using unraid_partition_disk.sh, and now, unMenu 1.5 is showing that it's ready to be formatted. Unfortunately, I'm getting an error in formatting:

mkreiserfs hda1

Stat of the device '/dev/hda1' failed.
/dev/hda1: No such file or directory

sfdisk: cannot open /dev/hda1 read-write

Any suggestions from here?

After several days, I decided to try formatting again. It seems to have succeeded, however I got this message this time

mkreiserfs hda1

Warning: start=63 - this looks like a partition rather than
the entire disk. Using fdisk on it is probably meaningless.
[use the --force option if you really want this]

I'm not sure why start=63, since I have had the 4k aligned parameter set since my initial build of the machine, and this was formatted/pre-cleared in this machine.

Am I good to go ahead and start using the disk now? Since it's only a 320GB PATA drive, will the 63/64 alignment really cause any issues? My plan is to use this drive for installing MySQL, SB, NZB, etc, not within the array itself.

This does not look right to me.  Are you familiar with partitioning and MBR's?  If so, I'd boot a tool like Partition Magic and examine the MBR and partition table for this drive, make sure it is correct.  If it isn't, use it to create a Standard MBR and your desired partition.  Or you can use sfdisk from the console command line (haven't used it myself).  But do make sure the partition table is correct first, before trying to format it.  If you are only using this drive with SNAP, then I can't see that the 63/64 question even matters.  Joe L or others may have better advice.

Thanks for the feedback, Rob. I didn't think it looked right either, that's why I asked... :D

I'm not that familiar with MBRs & partitions, but I know the basics.  I ran preclear_disk.sh on it, which, as I understand, is supposed to write the proper MBR for unRAID, and it seems to have worked on my other 3 disks. I then partitioned it using unraid_partition_disk.sh, and finally got it to format this evening using the format option in unMENU. Since I've used tools specifically designed for unRAID, I'm assuming that they all did their job. (Yes, I know what happens...)

The big news, however, is that after rebooting the server for a different issue, it seems I now have it mounted via SNAP! I can even see the share from the WinXP machine I'm typing this on.

Again, thanks for getting back to me with some input, it's appreciated, even though this seems to be working on its own now.

FreeMan

SNAP_mounted.PNG.9e00ac3ed610b8859748975ea598e51c.PNG

I just rebooted my server, and I think I lost some files that were on my SNAP mounted drive.

I have the drive mounted at /mnt/extra. I have a .sabnzbd directory there now, and I thought my .sickbeard directory would have been there. I think I had a few other directories on this drive as well.

Is there anything in the shut-down, boot, mount process that would cause a directory to be deleted? I'm currently on a 3-disk free license, so this isn't a cache drive, it's just a spare SNAPed into the server.

I'm not 100% certain - I've been doing too many things at once trying to get drives out of my WinXP machine and into unRAID - but I've been moving files around, clearing a disk, stashing them where ever I can find a few free gig. I seem to have lost a few TV shows... :(

Any thoughts on the matter?

EDIT: I can confirm that directories have gone missing - I've lost 8 TV shows. It's not a crisis, but it is quite annoying. Does anyone have any idea?

TIA

-FreeMan

I just rebooted my server, and I think I lost some files that were on my SNAP mounted drive.

I have the drive mounted at /mnt/extra. I have a .sabnzbd directory there now, and I thought my .sickbeard directory would have been there. I think I had a few other directories on this drive as well.

Is there anything in the shut-down, boot, mount process that would cause a directory to be deleted? I'm currently on a 3-disk free license, so this isn't a cache drive, it's just a spare SNAPed into the server.

I'm not 100% certain - I've been doing too many things at once trying to get drives out of my WinXP machine and into unRAID - but I've been moving files around, clearing a disk, stashing them where ever I can find a few free gig. I seem to have lost a few TV shows... :(

Any thoughts on the matter?

EDIT: I can confirm that directories have gone missing - I've lost 8 TV shows. It's not a crisis, but it is quite annoying. Does anyone have any idea?

TIA

-FreeMan

No, it seems that I'm a bit of a moron and/or should quit working on this thing between 11pm and 1am.  All my 'missing' files were there. I just needed to go to /mnt/disk/extra to find them, instead of /mnt/extra. I think I short cut my thinking because the SMB share is \\nas\extra, without the extra path level involved.

Thanks, this does, in fact work fine, and sorry for besmirching your good name!

• 3 weeks later...

Installed snap, mounted and shared a USB drive. Can see it in Windows explorer, but when i try to access the drive, a dialog pops up asking for username and password. I have no users set up on the machine other than root. And the root credentials didnt work. Not just that, now all of my shares in unRAID too are asking for a password! Do i need to run new permissions or something? syslog attached.

syslog-2013-02-20.txt

Installed snap, mounted and shared a USB drive. Can see it in Windows explorer, but when i try to access the drive, a dialog pops up asking for username and password. I have no users set up on the machine other than root. And the root credentials didnt work. Not just that, now all of my shares in unRAID too are asking for a password! Do i need to run new permissions or something? syslog attached.

Check the links in my post here, I *think* one of them may help you.

I have mounted a SNAP drive but I cannot copy anything to it using midnight commander. It says the disk is read-only. How do I change it to read/ write?

Secondly, the hotplugging feature is indeed handy. But I wasnt able to understand the instructions. Lets say I have 2 folders on my SNAP drive - "Movies" and "Music". On the server I have shares called "Movies" and "Music" too. Is there any possibility of me automating the transfer of the contents of the folders on the SNAP drive to the respective shared on Unraid?

Lastly, is it possible I can mount a network drive onto unraid using snap, and thereafter automate data copying from the network drive to the unraid share?

I have mounted a SNAP drive but I cannot copy anything to it using midnight commander. It says the disk is read-only. How do I change it to read/ write?

I haven't yet used SNAP myself, so I could be way off, but the first thing to check is whether you mounted it with the correct syntax for read/write.  The second thing to check is whether you used a read-only file system like ntfs.  Use ntfs-3g, not ntfs.  The only other reason I can think of, when finding a file system is read-only when you tried to open it read/write, is that there is file system corruption.  Check the syslog for error messages at the time of mounting, and/or use the appropriate fsck on the partition (eg. reiserfsck for ReiserFS, fsck (I think) for ext3, Check Disk on a Windows computer for NTFS, etc).

• 3 weeks later...

Certainly for me this doesnt work after upgrading. Or rather it doesnt work by default if you dont do anything after upgrading.

Edit: For clarity the obvious step is to reomve 4.X series snap with uninstall options and installl the V5 plg version

Version: 5.0-rc12a

Latest Version of SNAP

I added a portable external hard drive to my server, used snap to mount it and when go to access it through explorer is asks for a Login and password.  I've read the posts on the new security settings and still don't know how to fix it.  All of my other disks and shares are accessable without requiring a password or login. 

Also once I gain access to the drive would dragging items from "TV Shows" to the hard drive "Seale" be the same as copying them over the network.  Do I have to use MC to transfer files?

Thanks in Advance.

Shares.png.d9368f7ccb4d59a4e2411a20f95eee8c.png

SNAP.png.254e96023e9b6939085a085944c485d5.png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am having problem with SNAP. No matter what command I am trying to use I am getting one and the same message: -bash: snap.sh: command not found. What I am doing wrong?

And whenever I am using SNAP through the webgui I am getting /boot/config/plugins/snap/p13.sh: line 1311: /dev/tty: No such device or address.