unRAID OS version 6.4.0-rc7a available

155 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Upgrading: We have changed the way one checks for new unRAID OS releases.  Please refer to Update OS below.   Bugs: If you want to report an issue, please start a new topic in this board.

The flash drive backup integrated into the OS instead of via a plugin is a good idea.  But I would like one change to take place:   On the backup disk.cfg, can you please set startArray to b

I can confirm there is a bug that makes it impossible to choose cores if you have 8 or less cores when creating a new VM. If there are more than 8 cores available the first 8 are grayed out until

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, skyline7349 said:

This is my first upgrade on a RC. Im in plugins tab and theres no unraid plugin anymore. Do i have to re-add it?

No.   This now done via the option in the Tools Menu.

23 hours ago, limetech said:

We have changed the way one checks for new unRAID OS releases.  Instead of bundling an "unRAID Server" plugin on the Plugins page, there is a new page on the Tools menu in the About section called 'Update OS'.  Here you can check for a new unRAID OS release as well as switch between the latest release in the stable branch or the next branch.  In addition there is a separate control on the Notification Settings page that configures whether or not to automatically check for updates.

You probably need to copy this to the top of the first post and highlight it (in red?) until we can get retrained...  9_9

The flash drive backup integrated into the OS instead of via a plugin is a good idea.  But I would like one change to take place:

On the backup disk.cfg, can you please set startArray to be "no" regardless of the user's setting.

Users by and large are not going to remember to make a backup everytime their configuration changes, and there are circumstances where if the array autostarts when restoring super.dat that the system will clobber a data drive (eg: a Parity Drive and a Data drive were swapped by the user without a subsequent backup happening).

While it is the user's responsibility to create a backup whenever their config changes, you're going to hear nothing but grief if / when this situation happens, and the user may be hard pressed to remember events previous.

Not starting the array at least presents the user initially with the drive configuration and forces them to basically confirm the assignments when pressing start.

1 hour ago, graywolf said:

What about an Automatic Backup when the configuration changes with dated versions?

Dated and time-stamp are ready a part of the file name.  I would like to request that the version number of unRAID be a part of the file name. 

1 hour ago, Squid said:

On the backup disk.cfg, can you please set startArray to be "no" regardless of the user's setting.

Users by and large are not going to remember to make a backup everytime their configuration changes, and there are circumstances where if the array autostarts when restoring super.dat that the system will clobber a data drive (eg: a Parity Drive and a Data drive were swapped by the user without a subsequent backup happening).

This is going to be a problem because the restoration of the backup will result the starting of a correcting parity check as result of the array not being stopped when the flash drive backup is being made.  Either that or change what happens when the OS detects that the array was not properly shutdown--  If an improper shutdown is detected on startup, unRAID could load and not start the array and notify the user of the problem  and its potential issues,  and permit them to resolve it.  I would also suggest sending an E-mail to the addresses listed in the Notifications settings. 

Even without the addition of this backup feature, something should probably be done as the autostart (in the case of an improper shutdown) always has had the potential of creating additional/bigger problems then the original issue that caused the improper shutdown!!!   O.o

Edited by Frank1940
To revise the last sentence so that it made sense.
40 minutes ago, graywolf said:

What about an Automatic Backup when the configuration changes with dated versions?

Where is this automatic backup to be stored? The way this is handled in the new rc is a user initiated download in their browser, so it winds up being stored where they choose (or the default download folder on the machine of their browser).

Also, I'm not sure dated backups for the configuration really gets you anything, since after you change your disk assignments you are unlikely to go back and it would be very risky for those who don't know exactly what they are doing.

35 minutes ago, trurl said:

Also, I'm not sure dated backups for the configuration really gets you anything, since after you change your disk assignments you are unlikely to go back and it would be very risky for those who don't know exactly what they are doing.

I would hope that the OP (of this suggestion) had in mind that the backup would be of the new configuration as soon as the array was started with the new assignments.  That is the only way that it would make sense (for the very reason that you mentioned).  

Edited by Frank1940
1 hour ago, trurl said:

Where is this automatic backup to be stored? The way this is handled in the new rc is a user initiated download in their browser, so it winds up being stored where they choose (or the default download folder on the machine of their browser).

I was thinking along the lines of a configurable setting for the location.

I would hope that the OP (of this suggestion) had in mind that the backup would be of the new configuration as soon as the array was started with the new assignments. 

Exactly. Have it automatically backed up to a configurable location whenever the array is started with a changed configuration (based on file date/timestamp?)

13 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

I don't seem to be able to edit the number of CPU cores in a VM on RC7a

No problem here on rc7a. Tried both existing and new VM.

Are you using firefox?

Just now, saarg said:

No problem here on rc7a. Tried both existing and new VM.

Are you using firefox?

I tried with Firefox and Chrome.  Reverted to RC1 as was testing some other stuff out as well and it worked as expected.   When I bump back up to RC7a I'll try a browser clear.  Thanks man.

1 minute ago, CHBMB said:

I tried with Firefox and Chrome.  Reverted to RC1 as was testing some other stuff out as well and it worked as expected.   When I bump back up to RC7a I'll try a browser clear.  Thanks man.

I just thought you for some reason didn't see the problem with tick boxes and firefox. I used chrome by the way. Then it must be you are running linux :P

1 hour ago, graywolf said:

I was thinking along the lines of a configurable setting for the location.

Exactly. Have it automatically backed up to a configurable location whenever the array is started with a changed configuration (based on file date/timestamp?)

I don't know if this is really possible from the unRAID configuration side.  That would mean that you would have to have the SMB client protocol setup on the unRAID server side.  And the user would have to share the 'configurable location' on the SMB network with write permission.  (Remember that you are wanting to "write" on your PC directly from the server and from a security standpoint for that machine, it might be considered to be a bad idea.)  To me, it doesn't seem unreasonable to download the file through the browser and save it to the default download folder and then have the user move it to the location where he wants it. 

2 hours ago, CHBMB said:

I can confirm there is a bug that makes it impossible to choose cores if you have 8 or less cores when creating a new VM.

If there are more than 8 cores available the first 8 are grayed out until you choose a core above core 8. Then all are available for selection. 

Sorry for the lack of detail on this post, but I recently did an upgrade from 6.3.5 stable to 6.4.0-rc7a.  The upgrade process went without a hitch.  Here is what I've noticed so far:

- Super snappy web GUI.  Night and day between this and stable.

- After the upgrade, I lost access to the web UI for a few dockers.  Zoneminder, Headphones and MythTV are 3 I can remember losing access to.

- My server is freezing up a few times a day.  I can't access webUI or SSH in when this happens so I've had to do a hard reboot through IPMI.

- After reverting back to stable, everything has resolved except I did not regain webUI access to all of the dockers that I had lost them to.

- Still having some issues with VM GPU passthrough, specifically audio.  Issues persist on both versions.

Not sure if this is applicable here, but here is my diagnostics log:

unraid-diagnostics-20170730-0935.zip

33 minutes ago, Living Legend said:

Not sure if this is applicable here, but here is my diagnostics log:

To understand why your server is freezing we need diagnostics of 6.4.0.

3 minutes ago, Living Legend said:

Ah, that would make sense.  

Would the diagnostic test need to be performed post freezeup?

Are you still able to access the server using SSH? If so you can do diagnostics after the issue appears.

5 hours ago, Living Legend said:

No.  I have to hard reboot.

Install the 'Fix Common Problems' plugin and turn on the trouble shooting mode.   You could also try a monitor connected to the server and see if there is any useful info on the screen after the lockup.