flaggart

Ryzen 3000 series build / Struggling with PCI-e lanes

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Posted (edited)

Hi all

Like many here (I assume), I am planning on a Ryzen 3000 series build in the next couple of months, to replace my existing setup.  This brings with it some choices around chipsets, pci-e lanes, etc.  My current setup is:

• Node 804 (limited to Micro ATX or smaller)
  • i7-2600k
  • Supermirco Micro ATX 
  • Broadcom 9207-8i 8 port HBA (PCI-e 3.0 8x)
  • TBS dual DVB tuner (PCI-e 2.0 1x)

Switching to Ryzen has certain limitations:

1. Lack of integrated graphics - meaning I have to fit a GPU on a mATX board reducing the number of available slots for other cards
  2. Only 6 (B450) or 8 (X470) PCI-e 2.0 lanes from chipset.  

So the best case would be PCI-e 4x 2.0 for the 9201-8i (in a 16x mechanical slot), meaning it will only be running at 2GB/s total instead of 8GB/s.  This works out to ~ 2Gbit per drive so it is above SATA1 speed and I assume unlikely to limit performance much for mechanical disks - can anyone confirm?  Will the card even function like this?

Generally, will Ryzen boards boot (and will unRaid function) if no GPU is present?

I am aware that new boards with X570 chipset may solve this problem (12 Gen 4 lanes from chipset), but trying to clarify if it is possible to go with a cheaper chipset.

Edited by flaggart

I've been on a Ryzen 1700X for over two years & last night I switched it with a 6700K. Unfortunately The first & second Ryzen gen have memory comparability issues & my server wasn't stable enough.

Just make sure you choose the correct memory that is compatibly with your motherboard of choice.

I actually upgraded my setup yesterday with a 2600 running on a X470D4U in a Node 804. It has an integrated GPU with a VGA output (and remote IPMI). It may help with your GPU.

On 6/11/2019 at 3:51 AM, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

I've been on a Ryzen 1700X for over two years & last night I switched it with a 6700K. Unfortunately The first & second Ryzen gen have memory comparability issues & my server wasn't stable enough.

Just make sure you choose the correct memory that is compatibly with your motherboard of choice.

I am running a 1700x but having many stability issues. My server freezes about every 12 hours, no errors in syslog just hangs up and will not respond via keyboard or mouse or IP address. Is this an issue with these processors? Memtest shows no issues and ive ran this hardware for years as a windows 10 machine.

i switched back to the Ryzen. the main problem was as always the incompatible memory... I have the  Corsair LPX 3200 (Clocked 2933 - 15-17-17-35).

I took a look at its closest compatible module from corsair which is the 3000mhz that was clocked at 2933 according to their memory QVL and set the memory to automatic and changed the voltage and timings manually to the timings matching the listed one.

Since then I have never seen a crash yet I'm still in a bit of a worry if it might crash at any given point but managed to get 4 days before I manually restarted to add some cards & drives.

3 hours ago, erax0r said:

My server freezes about every 12 hours

This used to happen a lot before disabling the c-state, is it disabled in your case?

Under windows when u install AMD chipset drivers AMD also installs their own power profile to keep the CPU from idling and crashing.

On 6/11/2019 at 2:24 PM, sarbian said:

I actually upgraded my setup yesterday with a 2600 running on a X470D4U in a Node 804. It has an integrated GPU with a VGA output (and remote IPMI). It may help with your GPU.

Have you had any trouble using the USB 3.0 ports with your Unraid USB stick? I thought about getting one but the lack of USB 2.0 kind of scared me off.

10 hours ago, erax0r said:

Is this an issue with these processors?

There are known issues with Ryzen and Linux, there are workarounds that work for most users, they are discussed here: