[Support] ich777 - Application Dockers

ich777

I am having problems using LuckyBackup with an external USB hardrive. The external drive is mounted on the Unraid server and I can view the share on my PC. However, when I try to run the backup using luckyBackup, it says 

"Destination directory: /mnt/disks/WSD8TD9Y/Backup is not mounted. This task will be skipped."

How do I get it to backup my data to this external drive?

1 hour ago, Erich said:

I cannot find any way to do incremental backups in LuckyBackup. Am I wrong? Is there a way to do this?

may rather start looking for the lucky documentation as this is more app specific then unraid docker specific.

by default lucky is using rsync which does incremental ... i guess (just a guess) your destination drive (USB) is may wrong formatted to allow this or something else ...

here i would start

https://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/manual.html

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Erich said:

I had to add a new path for /mnt/disks/.

I hope you have mounted it as R/W Slave in the Docker template.

1 hour ago, Erich said:

I cannot find any way to do incremental backups in LuckyBackup. Am I wrong? Is there a way to do this?

What filesystem is that drive?

luckyBackup does only incremental Backups by default, can you tell my what do you want to do exactly?

2 minutes ago, Erich said:

The drive is NTFS. I just want to backup some of my data on my unraid server to an external USB hard drive that is connected to unraid via as an extra level of security.

I would recommend to format it as XFS or some Linux native format since you are working with Linux here.

If you want to use NTFS you loose some attributes sonce NTFS doesn‘t support all attributes from Linux and you also have to set the flag that it is a NTFS filesystem in the advanced settings from the sync job.

If you want to read it from Windows there should be a application from Paragon software where you can read Linux filesystems natively in the Explorer.

2 minutes ago, Erich said:

Sorry, I am new to this. Thanks for the link to the manual.

No worries. ;)

You should be also able to configure how many backups to keep in the settings from the sync job, but I really don‘t know how it behaves when doing this with a external drive.

It could also be the case that incremental backups are not working correctly because it‘s a NTFS drive, make sure that you tick the box that this is a NTFS drive in the advanced settings from the sync job.

Just read in the manual "luckyBackup copies over only the changes you've made to the source directory and nothing more. Whatever changes you make to the source including adding, moving, deleting, modifying files / directories etc, will have the same effect to the destination."

This is not what I want. I want to be able to retain incremental copies of new/changed files. So I don't think it is doing incremental backups in the normal way of incremental backups (keeping the incremental backups in separate folders, distinct from the full backup). It seems to me, that it is actually writing over the full backup that already exists with files that have been changed since the last backup. Am I understanding this correctly?

Edited by Erich
18 minutes ago, Erich said:

This is not what I want. I want to be able to retain incremental copies of new/changed files. So I don't think it is doing incremental backups in the normal way of incremental backups (keeping the incremental backups in separate folders, distinct from the full backup). It seems to me, that it is actually writing over the full backup that already exists with files that have been changed since the last backup. Am I understanding this correctly?

If you turn on snapshots then it is storing deltas from all the modified files and if you want to get some files back you have to restore the full backup from that time to get that file back.

Yes, the normal way, it does only copy files over which have actually changed and stores a delta from the changes so that it is able to restore the file at a certain time, this is exactly how rsync handles that because luckyBackup uses rsync as Backend.

I think then luckyBackup is not the right tool for you.

26 minutes ago, ich777 said:

If you turn on snapshots then it is storing deltas from all the modified files and if you want to get some files back you have to restore the full backup from that time to get that file back.

Yes, the normal way, it does only copy files over which have actually changed and stores a delta from the changes so that it is able to restore the file at a certain time, this is exactly how rsync handles that because luckyBackup uses rsync as Backend.

I think then luckyBackup is not the right tool for you.

Ok, thanks. I was thinking the same thing. Can you recommend another tool that will do what I want?

Hi @ich777!
First of all thank you for creating the LANCache-Prefill template, I was running a VM just for filling the LANCache up until now.
I'm trying your container but I get severall errors when running the cron job after selecting my games.

It seems like some of the games are not working as expected. Can you think of a reason for this? 
image.png.ddc455f095045e10653aeab547ea82a0.png

edit: These are the three errors I get:

1. Request for manifests failed.  Retrying...
    Request for manifests failed.  Retrying...
        Unexpected download error : Unable to download manifests!  Skipping...
  2. Manifest request timed out.  Retrying...
    Manifest request timed out.  Retrying...
    Manifest request timed out.  Retrying...
       Unexpected download error : Unable to download manifests!  Skipping...
  3. Unexpected download error : Unable to get available CDN servers from Steam!

Best regards!

Edited by zAch523
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, zAch523 said:

Best regards!

This is most likely the case because LANCache isn‘t answerong quick enough and times out.

Do you have added the —dns parameter to your Extra Parameters?

Are you sure that you have a stable Internet connection when running the cron schedule?

Can you try to turn on Force Update in the template and see if this makes a difference, BTW this will only run the prefill every time the container starts/restarts and not re-download everything.