Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array


Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, slimshizn said:

Latest update keeps the update banner on top of the screen, even after updating.

Edit* had to go to plugins tab to update, and that updated it for me and banner didn't come back up.

It was an issue with the latest release that I have fixed now.

Link to comment

@dlandon I can confirm their is some strange behavior with the Friefox browser with UD as @ClintE is reporting. I've been experiencing it for months? and been putting up with it, because I wasn't sure which plug-in was causing it, but finally had some time to look into it more.

 

First I booted into UnRAID safe mode. Problem did not occur. Then I started uninstalling plug-ins one by one...

 

When I uninstall UD, starting the array behaves normally. It's only when UD is installed that this problem occurs. This problem does not occur in safe mode.

 

I tested with MS Edge and cannot reproduce. I don't have Chrome installed to test with.

 

Here's what it looks like... UD is installed, using Firefox, I start the array... once the array is started and the page refreshes, Firefox prompts me with this. Diagnostics attached.

 

image.thumb.png.b0be715141438efdc2be5a9f7f40fb28.png

 

I must click 'cancel' or else I'm in for a world of hurt, because the GUI will no longer work and I have to ssh to umount everything and reboot.

 

 

 

tower2-diagnostics-20230115-1742.zip

Edited by Lev
Link to comment

Hi,

Im hoping someone can help me with this issue but for some reason if i try and un-share my external HDD in UD when i click the circled switch in the image below, the switch goes to the "off" position as expected but then as soon as i click "Save" and go back to this page the switch is in the "On" position again.

 

After i go through this process the HDD does actually become unshared and cant be seen by my network users which is what i want but as soon as UD gets an update or I restart my Unraid the HDD is automatically shared again 😞

 

I think it has something to do with that switch and if i can get it so stay in the "Off" position it might solve this issue of auto re-sharing again after a reboot or UD update.

 

This has been happening for a while now and i dont know what else to do to try and fix it. Any help would be appreciated 🙂

 

image.thumb.png.0b733e888f39dc1683d8e0a332fdf43f.png

server-diagnostics-20230119-1837.zip

Edited by Titan84
Link to comment
54 minutes ago, Titan84 said:

Hi,

Im hoping someone can help me with this issue but for some reason if i try and un-share my external HDD in UD when i click the circled switch in the image below, the switch goes to the "off" position as expected but then as soon as i click "Save" and go back to this page the switch is in the "On" position again.

 

After i go through this process the HDD does actually become unshared and cant be seen by my network users which is what i want but as soon as UD gets an update or I restart my Unraid the HDD is automatically shared again 😞

 

I think it has something to do with that switch and if i can get it so stay in the "Off" position it might solve this issue of auto re-sharing again after a reboot or UD update.

 

This has been happening for a while now and i dont know what else to do to try and fix it. Any help would be appreciated 🙂

 

image.thumb.png.0b733e888f39dc1683d8e0a332fdf43f.png

server-diagnostics-20230119-1837.zip 336.61 kB · 0 downloads

You don't need to click 'Save' for the share switch to be saved.  Just changing the switch will save the switch status.  That's why there is a 'Done' button right below the switches.  Change a switch, then click 'Done' does the trick.

 

It is working for me.  I suspect you might have a corrupted UD config file on your flash drive.  I would take the flash drive to a PC and run a file system check on it.

Link to comment

Thanks for taking a look for me. Yeah i also tried just using the 'Done' button but no joy.

The next time I power off my Unraid server ill run the file system check on the flash drive but is there another way? if i had to uninstall UD and then re-install it would that make any difference?

 

I think this issue started after one of the earlier updates broke SMB sharing. Not sure if you recall but you helped me using Team viewer. so not sure if a reinstall would fix anything.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Titan84 said:

Thanks for taking a look for me. Yeah i also tried just using the 'Done' button but no joy.

The next time I power off my Unraid server ill run the file system check on the flash drive but is there another way? if i had to uninstall UD and then re-install it would that make any difference?

 

I think this issue started after one of the earlier updates broke SMB sharing. Not sure if you recall but you helped me using Team viewer. so not sure if a reinstall would fix anything.

Uninstalling and re-installing UD won't change anything because the configuration files are not removed and re-installed, or changed.

 

A couple options:

  • If this is your only UD disk device, delete the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg file and then click the double arrow icon on the UD page.  You'll need to re-apply any device settings.  Don't do this if you have any encrypted devices.  You'll lose the password seed.
  • You could use an editor and take a look at the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg file for any obvious issues.  The device might be duplicated in the UD config file.  If you make any changes there, be sure to click the double arrow icon on the UD page to update the copy of the cfg file in ram that UD uses for updating the UD page.
  • Edit the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg and remove the entries for the trouoblesome device.  Again, you'll need to click the double arrow icon to refresh the UD page.
Link to comment
1 hour ago, dlandon said:

If this is your only UD disk device, delete the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg file and then click the double arrow icon on the UD page.  You'll need to re-apply any device settings.  Don't do this if you have any encrypted devices.  You'll lose the password seed.

Thank you very much @dlandon This is my unassigned.devices.cfg below. It all looks OK but i dont have anything to compare it too though. is the 'share' supposed to be called 'share.1' ? Same for the 'command_bg.1' The '.1' looks out of place as none of the other options have a '.1'

 

I only have 1 encrypted UD disk device and its just a backup for all my Appdata backups so i dont mind wiping it and starting from scratch again. With the first option of just deleting the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg file , when you say dont do this if you have encrypted disks because you will lose the password seed, im assuming this will only affect my 1 UD Disk and not my whole encrypted unraid array. if this is the case then im happy to just nuke the UD config and start again.

 

[Config]
common_cmd = ""
destructive_mode = "disabled"
automount_usb = "yes"
discard = "no"
symlinks = "no"
smb_version = "no"
debug_level = 0
key = "blablabla"
iv = "T/Vgc8nQimc4OqBa"

[JMicron_Generic_0123456789ABCDEF-0:0]
unassigned_dev = "dev1"
automount = "yes"
show_partitions = "no"
share.1 = "no"
pass = "blablabla"
disable_mount = "yes"
command_bg.1 = "true"

Edited by Titan84
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Titan84 said:

I only have 1 encrypted UD disk device and its just a backup for all my Appdata backups so i dont mind wiping it and starting from scratch again. With the first option of just deleting the /flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg file , when you say dont do this if you have encrypted disks because you will lose the password seed, im assuming this will only affect my 1 UD Disk and not my whole encrypted unraid array. if this is the case then im happy to just nuke the UD config and start again.

Yes, it only affects the UD device.  Honestly, I think you have some issues on the flash device.

 

Before you do anything, uninstall and re-install UD, then click on the double arrows on the UD page.  The setting 'share.1' is set for no at the moment and is what you want.  The '.1' specifies the partition for that setting.  It is all correct.

Link to comment

Just tried to uninstall and re-install and then clicked on the double arrows and no joy unfortunately 😞

 

Ill take your advice and when im back home again ill run a check on the flash and see what it comes back with. Hopefully whatever the issue is I can fix it 🙂

If it is something on the Flash device would the solution be to backup the old flash and then format the flash drive and place the backup back on the flash? I guess thats assuming that my flash backup doesnt have the same issues.

Link to comment
On 1/15/2023 at 7:42 PM, Lev said:

When I uninstall UD, starting the array behaves normally. It's only when UD is installed that this problem occurs. This problem does not occur in safe mode.

I'm looking into this, but others have reported seeing this problem when booted in safe mode, which implies it's not a plugin issue.  Very strange problem.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, illmatik said:

I have installed a new NVMe drive to replace an existing SSD in my cache pool. I'm trying to mount it in UD so that I can copy over the files from the original SSD, but after I format the drive with UD, the Mount button is greyed out. I've tried XFS and BTFS 

 

 

optimus-diagnostics-20230119-1452.zip 149.35 kB · 1 download

 

It did mount once:

Jan 19 14:40:02 optimus unassigned.devices: Adding partition 'sdp1'...
Jan 19 14:40:02 optimus unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'sdp1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/MK0371YVGN7WUA'...
Jan 19 14:40:02 optimus unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t 'xfs' -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdp1' '/mnt/disks/MK0371YVGN7WUA'
Jan 19 14:40:02 optimus kernel: XFS (sdp1): Mounting V5 Filesystem
Jan 19 14:40:02 optimus kernel: XFS (sdp1): Ending clean mount
Jan 19 14:40:02 optimus unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted 'sdp1' on '/mnt/disks/MK0371YVGN7WUA'.

 

Post a screen shot of the UD page showing the disk.

Link to comment

That was actually a different drive that I have in UD, I test mounted it just to make sure it could mount anything. 

 

 

unassigned_devices1.png

 

Is there maybe something wrong with the partitions on the newly formatted SSD? I can't click on the arrow button next to the Mount Point like I can with the Hitachi drive 

Edited by illmatik
Link to comment
1 minute ago, illmatik said:

That was actually a different drive that I have in UD, I test mounted it just to make sure it could mount anything. 

 

 

unassigned_devices1.png

There's a partition but no file system.  Click on the 'Dev 1' and see if the SMART shows any issues with the disk.

Link to comment
On 1/15/2023 at 7:42 PM, Lev said:

@dlandon I can confirm their is some strange behavior with the Friefox browser with UD as @ClintE is reporting. I've been experiencing it for months? and been putting up with it, because I wasn't sure which plug-in was causing it, but finally had some time to look into it more.

 

First I booted into UnRAID safe mode. Problem did not occur. Then I started uninstalling plug-ins one by one...

 

When I uninstall UD, starting the array behaves normally. It's only when UD is installed that this problem occurs. This problem does not occur in safe mode.

 

I tested with MS Edge and cannot reproduce. I don't have Chrome installed to test with.

 

Here's what it looks like... UD is installed, using Firefox, I start the array... once the array is started and the page refreshes, Firefox prompts me with this. Diagnostics attached.

 

image.thumb.png.b0be715141438efdc2be5a9f7f40fb28.png

 

I must click 'cancel' or else I'm in for a world of hurt, because the GUI will no longer work and I have to ssh to umount everything and reboot.

 

 

 

tower2-diagnostics-20230115-1742.zip 102.4 kB · 1 download

Exactly this. I kept hitting "Resend" and it messed everything up. "Cancel" button works. Interestingly, I haven't seen the issue after clicking "Cancel" on either server. BTW, this does not happen on an older version of unRAID that I haven't updated yet (think it's 6.7.something), perhaps because the plugins can't update on that old version.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.