Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

7 minutes ago, akguy said:

I am not sure what is happening here.  I have 2 drives passed using Unassigned Devices but the Samsung 970 SSD shows up twice.  I have marked it as Passed through and Disable mount button and disabled Show partitions but the disk still shows up in my list (as the third option in the picture) and the Format button is still active.  This makes me uncomfortable.  I have passed the entire disk through to a VM and I would rather not have the ability to accidentally format the drive.  "Dev 2" is a separate SSD that is passed through in the same way to a VM that uses it and it does not show the partition as a separate device.  Dev 1 is an NVME m.2 SSD and the Dev 2 is a 2.5 inch Silicon Power SATA SSD.  Any ideas if there is a way I can get that NVME1n1p3 device off of this list?

image.thumb.png.ede1211577796d6131f1ee375e8cde4f.png

Post diagnostics.  Post a screen shot of the disks showing the partitions.

The third device in the list is partition 3 on the device in question.  Try clicking on the double arrows in the upper right hand corner of the UD page.

Now that's weird because it's showing only 2 partitions so I'm not sure why the third would appear. 

image.thumb.png.0aaad2782cbcf8a26fa2545db865c81e.png

There is a Debian install running on the VM.  I double-clicked the arrows and nothing really changed.  I also ran fdisk -l to look how many partitions the disk had and it showed the following.

image.png.d26d56f31a9216ed2b5c3ca7afb52d0e.png

The drive seems to be functioning correctly and everything; the only issue is that I don't really like having the "format" button there because it gives me angst.

goliath-diagnostics-20230722-1405.zip

1 hour ago, akguy said:

The drive seems to be functioning correctly and everything; the only issue is that I don't really like having the "format" button there because it gives me angst.

Udev is showing that partition as a separate device because it's an LVM partition.  I'll have to study this for a while.

You can turn off the format button by turning off the 'Destructive Mode' in UD Settings.

20 minutes ago, dlandon said:

You can turn off the format button by turning off the 'Destructive Mode' in UD Settings.

Oddly, this didn't work.  Not sure if it requires a reboot for setting to take effect but after disabling Destructive Mode in Settings and refreshing the disks and configuration the format button is still there.  I will try to make a note of whether it goes away after the next reboot.

31 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The button will still show 'Format', but it will not be active.

The button is still orange.  It still has mouse-over effects when I move my mouse over it.  I will take your word for it that the button isn't active.  There is a part of me that wants to test it, but not badly enough to actually know what would happen if I press it.  Thank you for the simple solution and quick response.

12 minutes ago, akguy said:

The button is still orange.  It still has mouse-over effects when I move my mouse over it.  I will take your word for it that the button isn't active.  There is a part of me that wants to test it, but not badly enough to actually know what would happen if I press it.  Thank you for the simple solution and quick response.

Something else is going on here.  The button will not be orange if the destructive mode is disabled.  I've never seen a situation where it would be if destrctive mode is disabled.

3 hours ago, akguy said:

Now that's weird because it's showing only 2 partitions so I'm not sure why the third would appear. 

image.thumb.png.0aaad2782cbcf8a26fa2545db865c81e.png

I just noticed your screen shot.  If the disk is passed through to a VM, don't mount it.  You will cause corruption.  Why is the disk 'Dev 1' showing 'Mount' and not 'Passed'?

This is destructive mode:

Screenshot 2023-07-22 202809.png

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I just noticed your screen shot.  If the disk is passed through to a VM, don't mount it.  You will cause corruption.  Why is the disk 'Dev 1' showing 'Mount' and not 'Passed'?

This is destructive mode:

Screenshot 2023-07-22 202809.png

As in the first screenshot I shared today, this is how my interface normally looks:

image.thumb.png.d5e0c1c3a78a174f18c1d53fc12547d7.png

In order to show you the partitions as you requested in your first reply, I had to toggle some of the checkboxes in the Settings for Dev 1 and that's when it switched to the one you just showed.  I have disabled destructive mode just like in your screenshot but now mine is still back where I started today.  I'll reboot the server tomorrow and let you know if anything changes, but if you were right about the issue being that partition 3 is an LVM, it should be pretty easy to recreate this in a test.  I may install another NVME drive just to test if I can recreate it on another drive.

1 hour ago, akguy said:

As in the first screenshot I shared today, this is how my interface normally looks:

Just did a test and it looks like the 'Format' button is not disabled when destructive mode is disabled.  Fix will be in the next release of UD.

If you click the 'Format' button it will tell you that you can't format the disk with destructive mode disabled.

hi guys, need help to understand this setting "share" button. the description denote "share device with SMB and NFS".
what is this literally mean in layman term?
what is the different between on vs off?
do i need to turn in on for my docker to access?

this is for one of my samba shares created with debian VM in proxmox server
image.png.3ccb58de071d14045102d58225510281.png

3 hours ago, Alvin Leong said:

what is the different between on vs off?

That determines whether the UD device will be available as a share accessible over the network (LAN).

3 hours ago, Alvin Leong said:

do i need to turn in on for my docker to access?

Yes if the docker container is trying to access it as a network share.  No if it is doing it via a mapped drive at the docker level (which is internal to the Unraid server).

12 hours ago, dlandon said:

If you click the 'Format' button it will tell you that you can't format the disk with destructive mode disabled.

Thank you for that clarification.  I am happier knowing that even if my kid jumps on my mouse at exactly the wrong time it will not format this drive with Destructive Mode disabled.  It would be more intuitive if the button were physically disabled, as the mount button is physically disabled when drives are passed through.

Looking for a bit of help removing an NFS share using command line. The server that was running a remote share shut down due to a power outage.. The share is still mounted in UD. When I clicked the unmount button in UD it locked up the GUI completely. I can SSH into the server... so i'm just looking for the commands to force unmount the share or force remove it ideally. I dont want to just try reboot on the off chance this hangs the server completely. I'd like to avoid a hard reset if possible. 

EDIT

Found my answer.

umount -l /pathofmount/

Sorted the issue and GUI was immediately accessible again. 

Edited by tazire
14 minutes ago, tazire said:

Looking for a bit of help removing an NFS share using command line. The server that was running a remote share shut down due to a power outage.. The share is still mounted in UD. When I clicked the unmount button in UD it locked up the GUI completely. I can SSH into the server... so i'm just looking for the commands to force unmount the share or force remove it ideally. I dont want to just try reboot on the off chance this hangs the server completely. I'd like to avoid a hard reset if possible. 

Try this command:

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/event/stopping_svcs 

This is what UD uses to unmount all devices when shutting down.  Downside is it will unmount all your UD devices.

40 minutes ago, Cognotte said:

Do you have an idea?

Your remote server doesn't seem to be on line when UD tries to mount the remote shares:

Jul 25 19:48:38 DellRaid unassigned.devices: Remote Server 'DARKNUX' is offline and share '//DARKNUX/Unraid' cannot be mounted.

There is timer you can set to delay auto mounting remote shares.  Go to UD Settings and set the time delay to mount remote shares to what you think is a reasonable value.  The default is 5 seconds.

• Upvote 1

So everything has been running fine over the last week till I rebooted this morning and now my drive is not showing a partition again... any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Jul 26 07:36:51 DT310 kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] 117231408 512-byte logical blocks: (60.0 GB/55.9 GiB)
Jul 26 07:36:51 DT310 kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] Write Protect is off
Jul 26 07:36:51 DT310 kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] Mode Sense: 7f 00 00 08
Jul 26 07:36:51 DT310 kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Jul 26 07:36:51 DT310 kernel: sde: sde1
Jul 26 07:36:51 DT310 kernel: sd 1:0:3:0: [sde] Attached SCSI disk
Jul 26 07:37:16 DT310  emhttpd: KINGSTON_SV300S37A60G_50026B773B020DA2 (sde) 512 117231408
Jul 26 07:37:16 DT310  emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sde
Jul 26 07:37:36 DT310 unassigned.devices: Partition 'sde1' does not have a file system and cannot be mounted.

image.png.01a0bc7047ac67bffb9335f4f2865f28.png

dt310-diagnostics-20230726-0841.zip

59 minutes ago, Ann4B3ll2019 said:

So everything has been running fine over the last week till I rebooted this morning and now my drive is not showing a partition again... any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Jul 26 07:37:36 DT310 unassigned.devices: Partition 'sde1' does not have a file system and cannot be mounted.

The disk has no file system.  You might want to check cables.

Jul 26 07:37:36 DT310 unassigned.devices: Warning: shell_exec(/bin/df '/mnt/disks/ugg' --output=size,used,avail | /bin/grep -v '1K-blocks' 2>/dev/null) took longer than 10s!

This might be an indication of other issues.

Looks like your reboot was a hard reboot?

Jul 26 07:37:25 DT310 kernel: FAT-fs (sdd1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

27 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Were any of the disks removed before being unmounted?  That could cause problems.

So thinking back over the last year I had an issue with UD after an update so I rolled it back to around 2022.11ish, I fixed my issues over the last few months and updated to 2023.06 or 2023.07 and that seems to be when these new issues started. UD is up to date now.

I also just realized that I have UD plus that is on 2022.11.06, and UD preclear on 2022.09.02

Could this old versions be an issue?

1 minute ago, Ann4B3ll2019 said:

I also just realized that I have UD plus that is on 2022.11.06, and UD preclear on 2022.09.02

Could this old versions be an issue?

Not sure without reviewing all the changes since then, buit you should update to all the latest versions.

• Like 1