[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask.  Currently I'm using 

Plex (linuxserver version) and the tutorials I keep finding are a few years old. Right now the graphics card in the system is a Quadro P1000 (Which I use for Tdarr when needed, but otherwise not being used) I believe I set up the plex correctly to use it, but I feel like it can't handle 4K videos correctly. The processor I have in my server is i5-11600K and what I have heard is the Quicksync is much better from 11th gen and up. I have see some posts saying Quicksync is currently not working properly with the lastest plex update and is being currently worked on. I guess my question is there a more updated tutorial for the plex hw transcoding setting for intel and nvidia? And which one should be using at the moment. My goal to upgrade down the road to a 13th gen intel and/or find a better graphics card. Been looking at a Nvidia A2000 (I hear that does very well) Any help is appreciated. 

3 hours ago, rlentz2022 said:

I guess my question is there a more updated tutorial for the plex hw transcoding setting for intel and nvidia?

The second post in this thread is still up to date for the Nvidia driver.

For Intel you just have to pass through the Device /dev/dri

I would recommend that you ask this question for Intel again the Plex support thread, I really don‘t know if something isn‘t working but I don‘t think so.

On my i5-10600 everything is working just fine with Emby and Jellyfin with Intel HW transcodig.

3 hours ago, rlentz2022 said:

Nvidia A2000

This is a hit out of my price range… If you need lot of simultaneous transcodes this seems to be a good card but if you only have a maximum of 3 simultaneous transcodes look at a Nvidia T600 or even T1000 (if you only got one or two simultaneous transcodes a T400 will do the job also just fine).

59 minutes ago, ich777 said:

The second post in this thread is still up to date for the Nvidia driver.

For Intel you just have to pass through the Device /dev/dri

I would recommend that you ask this question for Intel again the Plex support thread, I really don‘t know if something isn‘t working but I don‘t think so.

On my i5-10600 everything is working just fine with Emby and Jellyfin with Intel HW transcodig.

This is a hit out of my price range… If you need lot of simultaneous transcodes this seems to be a good card but if you only have a maximum of 3 simultaneous transcodes look at a Nvidia T600 or even T1000 (if you only got one or two simultaneous transcodes a T400 will do the job also just fine).

I have the A2000 for around the price of $250-$300. I will check the post you were talking about the Nvidia setup. It’s just frustrating that 4K HDR TrueHD 7.1 videos that they play for a while then they buffer for about a min or two and when it comes back, the audio sounds lower than when I started the video.

10 hours ago, rlentz2022 said:

I have the A2000 for around the price of $250-$300.

As said, way out of my budget range.

10 hours ago, rlentz2022 said:

It’s just frustrating that 4K HDR TrueHD 7.1 videos that they play for a while then they buffer for about a min or two and when it comes back, the audio sounds lower than when I started the video.

I think that not the card is the limiting factor here, even my i5-10600 is able to perform such tasks. Are you sure that the subtitles aren't the issue? Plex can't handle burned in subtitles well IIRC.

I would recommend that you first head over to the Plex support thread and post what kind of media that you trying to transcode with all necessary information before you buy new hadware, the folks over there can most certainly help you, sorry but I'm not a Plex guy and this is more of an issue with Plex I think.

29 minutes ago, Braulio said:

Tks

actually, are you sure you have the GPU properly installed ?

i dont see any hardware in your pcie devices ... while if its in the main PCIe slot it would be most liekely 00:01...

image.thumb.png.17ff00428d6b35e04d12ddc0b3a26f76.png

and its empty like nothing is installed (hardware), may check if its properly seated and power connected ... if so, may start with a live USB Stick and see if it works ...

6 minutes ago, alturismo said:

actually, are you sure you have the GPU properly installed ?

i dont see any hardware in your pcie devices ... while if its in the main PCIe slot it would be most liekely 00:01...

image.thumb.png.17ff00428d6b35e04d12ddc0b3a26f76.png

and its empty like nothing is installed (hardware), may check if its properly seated and power connected ... if so, may start with a live USB Stick and see if it works ...

Ohhh, I undertand now...
I don't have an external video card.

I am using a video card integrated into the motherboard, as my server is just for running a VM and file server.

In this case, I can't install an OBS docker, correct?

NVIDIA Driver

I have an GTX1050 for Plex transcoding.
I just upgraded from 6.11.5 to 6.12.4 - and now I dont get a GUI anymore - after the boot I just see a blackscreen

weblogin works fine.

I checked config\plugins\nvidia-driver\settings.cfg

first_installation=false
driver_version=latest
disable_xconfig=true
update_check=true

No change there. So it should work.

Is there a problem with 6.12.4 ?

Edited by cholzer
3 hours ago, ich777 said:

To what GPU is the screen connected?

previously an intel 9700k iPGU, last weekend I moved the whole Unraid system to run under proxmox.

after that move the GUI still worked nicely inside the proxmox console.

today I made the upgrade and now I only get a blackscreen then the GPU is passed through.
hardware transcoding in plex also works nicely, only the GUI doesnt work anymore.
when I remove the GPU then the GUI works again.

Edited by cholzer
27 minutes ago, cholzer said:

last weekend I moved the whole Unraid system to run under proxmox.

Sorry but I don't or better speaking can't support that because there are too many variables involved when Unraid runs as a guest.

It would be better to ask that on the Proxmox forums since I'm not familiar with Proxmox and I don't know if everything is passed over correctly <- but as said I can't help with that since I don't use Proxmox, maybe a command line argument is missing or whatever.

27 minutes ago, cholzer said:

after that move the GUI still worked nicely inside the proxmox console.

If this variable is set like it's already set in your case:

1 hour ago, cholzer said:
disable_xconfig=true

the Nvidia driver will leave the xorg config untouched and the virtual display from Proxmox should work.

Sorry but I really can't help here, I just put my Nvidia T400 in my test server, installed the Nvidia Driver plugin on 6.12.4, boot into GUI mode and attached a screen to my Motherboard iGPU (i5-6100T) and the GUI came right up.

Can you maybe set the primary display to the virtual graphics adapter instead to the dGPU like it is configured on my test Server?

38 minutes ago, VolzanIT said:

hello, i got this problem, if i start the unraid server without starting the array, nvidia smi works perfectly and the gpu is recognized, but as soon as i start the array the gpu stop to be recognized with error "No devices were found"

You don’t by any chance have a VM set to auto-start and use the GPU?   Just asking as that would make it unavailable while the VM is running.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ich777 said:

It would be better to ask that on the Proxmox forums since I'm not familiar with Proxmox and I don't know if everything is passed over correctly <- but as said I can't help with that since I don't use Proxmox, maybe a command line argument is missing or whatever.

If this was a baremetal system, any idea where I could start to look why it switches the GUI output to the Nvidia GPU after Unraid finished booting up even though disable_xconfig=true ? :)

7 minutes ago, VolzanIT said:

attached to this comment the diagnostic file

Your GPU is falling from the bus:

Sep 14 18:57:25 nas kernel: NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:02:00): 79, pid='<unknown>', name=<unknown>, GPU has fallen off the bus.

Please see here:

XID 79: GPU has fallen off the bus

This event is logged when the GPU driver attempts to access the GPU over its PCI Express connection and finds that the GPU is not accessible.

This event is often caused by hardware failures on the PCI Express link causing the GPU to be inaccessible due to the link being brought down. Reviewing system event logs and kernel PCI event logs may provide additional indications of the source of the link failures.

This event may also be cause by failing GPU hardware or other driver issues.

(Source)

Is the card populated in the first slot?

I would also recommend that you update your BIOS, you are using a BIOS from 2016!

6 minutes ago, cholzer said:

If this was a baremetal system, any idea where I could start to look why it switches the GUI output to the Nvidia GPU after Unraid finished booting up even though disable_xconfig=true ? :)

Nope. On a bare metal system this shouldn't happen since I can't reproduce this over here on a bare metal system.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, ich777 said:

Nope. On a bare metal system this shouldn't happen since I can't reproduce this over here on a bare metal system.

yeah just tried it on a 2nd system here, same GPU, doesnt occur.
odd that it worked prior to upgrading to 6.12.4, but, well. not that much of an problem 😄

Edited by cholzer
25 minutes ago, cholzer said:

yeah just tried it on a 2nd system here, same GPU, doesnt occur.

So this means it works for you too on a second system?

Try to ask on the Proxmox forums, maybe you can use another virtual graphics adapter for the Unraid VM.

Please also keep in mind that unraid 6.12.x is based on Kernel 6.1.x where 6.11.x is based on Kernel 5.xx.x

22 hours ago, ich777 said:

Your GPU is falling from the bus:

Sep 14 18:57:25 nas kernel: NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:02:00): 79, pid='<unknown>', name=<unknown>, GPU has fallen off the bus.

Please see here:

(Source)

Is the card populated in the first slot?

I would also recommend that you update your BIOS, you are using a BIOS from 2016!

hello, the strange things is that now its working from early this morning because i restarted the server and not started the array, next week ill upgrade the bios and clean the case to chek if some dust is the problem

Fri Sep 15 18:29:43 2023       
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 535.104.05             Driver Version: 535.104.05   CUDA Version: 12.2     |
|-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                 Persistence-M | Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp   Perf          Pwr:Usage/Cap |         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                      |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650        Off | 00000000:02:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| 41%   59C    P0               1W /  75W |      0MiB /  4096MiB |      0%      Default |
|                                         |                      |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                            |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                            GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                             Usage      |
|=======================================================================================|
|  No running processes found                                                           |
root@nas:~# uptime
 18:34:23 up 10:57,  0 users,  load average: 0.13, 0.28, 0.21

Edited by VolzanIT
more info
1 hour ago, VolzanIT said:

hello, the strange things is that now its working from early this morning because i restarted the server and not started the array, next week ill upgrade the bios and clean the case to chek if some dust is the problem

Are you sure that your power supply is up to the task? It could be also the case that it may can't handle power spikes anymore properly and maybe that's why the GPU falls from the bus. This is of course just a guess...