[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

My question is this: I was wondering if the install procedure at the beginning of this thread was still valid.

yes

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Also, is it actually worth it to go to HW transcoding? I plan on using this server for nothing but Plex...

depends on your Plex Clients ans usecase, @home you should always prefer direct play (no transcodes at all, best quality), direct stream (audio transcode as format not supported by your clients, sw transcode anyway).

remote ... like on the road cell phone, tablets, in a browser, ... family sharing your plex media, ... its pretty useful ;)

so, if you only want to use Plex at home and your Plex Players can direct play (which they usually does if setted up correctly) then you wont need any transcoding at all and its not recommended todo so ... otherwise (see remote), yes.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, alturismo said:

yes

depends on your Plex Clients ans usecase, @home you should always prefer direct play (no transcodes at all, best quality), direct stream (audio transcode as format not supported by your clients, sw transcode anyway).

remote ... like on the road cell phone, tablets, in a browser, ... family sharing your plex media, ... its pretty useful ;)

so, if you only want to use Plex at home and your Plex Players can direct play (which they usually does if setted up correctly) then you wont need any transcoding at all and its not recommended todo so ... otherwise (see remote), yes.

Thx....that was more or less what I was thinking I just needed someone with more experience to verify for me. We may have 2 to 3 streams max and we never stream outside the house. My kids are all grown and they can pay for their own stuff!

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Thx....that was more or less what I was thinking I just needed someone with more experience to verify for me. We may have 2 to 3 streams max and we never stream outside the house.

But do keep in mind that you have a device that for example doesn't support HDR or h265 or some other weird codec a low power card can be always helpful for transcoding because it takes the load from the CPU (which consumes way more power) to the GPU (which uses way less power).

However you also have to keep that aspect in mind that the P400 also draws a few Watts in idle and if you only use it two or three times a month on the long term that also uses power.

I would say try it and keep an eye on it if you even need GPU transcoding as @alturismo said and you know and you know how it is most of the times, the needs grow over time and transcoding from outside your network maybe become a thing. :)

• Like 1

Here's the thing...I gotta keep it simple. 9 times out of ten, the only thing streaming is a movie from that stupid hallmark channel. On occasion, I might go to the man cave and watch a movie while the wife watches love stories. I have to weigh whether it is worth spending night after night figuring something out for just a little gain. I do know this for sure. I have had a plex pass for 3 or 4 years and we have never streamed outside the house. I have an R710 that I use for Plex now but it is the 2.5 inch drive version which I dont like. I have so many movies that I have at least 6 USB drives plugged into it and the 8 drive bays full. I now have this 8 bay R510 with unraid, which I really like unraid btw, my goal is to fill it up with 12 Tb drives. I was running 2 streams on it tonight and the CPU and memory were barely moving off of zero percent. I did a lot of reading in this thread but at my age I would die before I got done with 144 pages. I'm not like most of you guys I have to stop and think about each post...alot! Your talking to a C64 guy....lol. I might try messing around with it but I sure hate to screw up something that is working so well right now...

• Like 1

I apologize if this has been covered before but I am experiencing a weird issue with a NVIDIA 1050 ti I bought from eBay. I am running Unraid on a Dell T330 server. I was able to install the card and the driver but got the errors seen below in the screenshots. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

image.thumb.png.db32d4c96f696c7a3d3c4307cbf14e88.pngimage.thumb.png.f37653120e1697c65d0682bd5eefa613.pngimage.thumb.png.398970be7a29e36f51d4ce5d4593e61a.png

11 minutes ago, adaughe2 said:

NVIDIA 1050 ti I bought from eBay

Sorry but it seems that you have bought a counterfeit card and that this is not a GTX 1050Ti

Anyways maybe try to look out for a NVIDIA T400, this is a recent card, don‘t need external power, you can get them for pretty small money and it consumes almost no power. But do your research in the first place if it is enough for you since the card has only 2GB of VRAM but it can handle two simultaneous transcodes or three 1080p simultaneous transcodes.

5 hours ago, ich777 said:

Sorry but it seems that you have bought a counterfeit card and that this is not a GTX 1050Ti

Anyways maybe try to look out for a NVIDIA T400, this is a recent card, don‘t need external power, you can get them for pretty small money and it consumes almost no power. But do your research in the first place if it is enough for you since the card has only 2GB of VRAM but it can handle two simultaneous transcodes or three 1080p simultaneous transcodes.

Ahh thanks all! I feared this was the case. The seller has offered a full refund and I have accepted it. I have found quite a few T400 GPUs on Amazon that I will try instead. Looks like they do have a few 4Gb models available too!

• Like 1

I have an issue with my GPU. it Randomly falls of the bus with the following error code:

Nov 18 15:44:47 EDITH kernel: NVRM: GPU at PCI:0000:01:00: GPU-0a14bdef-c793-ae90-9149-495ee9dae863
Nov 18 15:44:47 EDITH kernel: NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 79, pid='<unknown>', name=<unknown>, GPU has fallen off the bus.
Nov 18 15:44:47 EDITH kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: GPU has fallen off the bus.

Anybody has an idea what the issue could be and how to stop it?

Output of Nvidia Plugin: image.thumb.png.2732cca8c813a39ac1a34dd149657e6e.png

Log ouput: 

image.thumb.png.226d95b70b235089722329d491744b73.png

Edited by ApfelBirneKreis
20 minutes ago, ApfelBirneKreis said:

I have an issue with my GPU. it Randomly falls of the bus with the following error code:

Please remove that file:

/boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

The contents from this file are wrong and do nothing at all.

Are you sure that this line is working in your go file:

#Enable Multi Gen LRU:
echo y > /sys/kernel/mm/lru_gen/enabledmkdir -p /tmp/plex-ramdisk && mount -t tmpfs -o size=16g tmpfs /tmp/plex-ramdisk

You can also remove that from your go file:

#Enable iGPU:
modprobe i915
***line removed***
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

(because you have installed the Intel GPU Top plugin and it will do the exact same for you)

Have you yet tried to remove the mitigations=off from your command line?

Now to your issue, please try to update your BIOS to the latest firmware. Make sure you enable Above 4G Decoding and also enable Resizabel BAR in your BIOS.

The card dropping from the bus is usually a indication of a Fimrware bug, RAM errors, unstable connection or unstable power supply.

16 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please remove that file:

/boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

The contents from this file are wrong and do nothing at all.

Are you sure that this line is working in your go file:

#Enable Multi Gen LRU:
echo y > /sys/kernel/mm/lru_gen/enabledmkdir -p /tmp/plex-ramdisk && mount -t tmpfs -o size=16g tmpfs /tmp/plex-ramdisk

You can also remove that from your go file:

#Enable iGPU:
modprobe i915
***line removed***
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

(because you have installed the Intel GPU Top plugin and it will do the exact same for you)

Have you yet tried to remove the mitigations=off from your command line?

Now to your issue, please try to update your BIOS to the latest firmware. Make sure you enable Above 4G Decoding and also enable Resizabel BAR in your BIOS.

The card dropping from the bus is usually a indication of a Fimrware bug, RAM errors, unstable connection or unstable power supply.

i already have above 4G decoding and resizable bar enabled in my system. The Power supply cant be the issue since its an 600W power supply from a named brand.

For the Ramdisc: yes i can confirm my Ramdisc is working.

will try with mitigations off in a sec.

mhm im currently only accessing the server remotely. Will try to reseat the gpu and update the bios when i have access.

• Like 1

I recently installed a Tesla P4 from eBay (fake?) and have attempted to pass through to plex docker. Best I can tell everything is good but the card is not showing as a transcode option and it isn't showing in watch nvidia-smi as being utilized, P8. I've been reading the past few evenings through all kinds of posts and have made no progress.

HPE DL360 Gen9

Installed in slot 3 (x16)

Latest HP Bios P89 v3.30 (09/21/2023)

64bit BAR support enabled

-I couldn't find anything about 4g

Unraid 6.12.4

Nvidia Driver Installed (535.129.03)

-Shows Tesla P4 as Installed GPU

persistenced in go file

-I couldn't find exactly how to do this other than adding 'nvidia-persistenced' to the last line of go file at boot\config\go

unraid booted in normal and gui mode

LSIO docker image

--runtime=nvidia

NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES all

NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES matches UUID from nvidia Driver

I hope this is enough information to help out. The only thing I haven't tried is switching the card to slot 1. I don't know how to do that since my cache pool is sitting on slot one on two bifurcated nvme drives. Bios only allows bifurcation on slot one, but it's also showing the card in slot 3 at x16.  Diags and screens attached. The bios screen is example I pulled and not my exact settings.

Thanks in advance.

DL360 bar.png

nvidia driver.png

nvidia smi.png

mikey-diagnostics-20231118-2250.zip

1 hour ago, sdcp73 said:

I've been reading the past few evenings through all kinds of posts and have made no progress.

Nothing wrong with your system as far as I can tell.

The card is recognized and working as expected.

Do you try to force transcode or what did you do in Plex to try it? Keep in mind you have to set the quality lower (but please not with the Web Plex app, it is know to just show a blank screen when changing the quality).

1 hour ago, sdcp73 said:

Thanks in advance.

Maybe try a test installation from the official Plex container itself and see if this solves your issue, if you read through the first pages you will see that multiple people solved their issues not transcoding by switching the container or reinstalling it.

23 hours ago, ich777 said:

Maybe try a test installation from the official Plex container itself and see if this solves your issue, if you read through the first pages you will see that multiple people solved their issues not transcoding by switching the container or reinstalling it.

Thank you, I must have missed those posts. Plex official was the only thing that got it working. I appreciate your help!

• Like 1

Hoping someone can help, have searched for 2 days now.

New Unraid Server, Unraid 6.12.4, HP DL380 G9 with nVidia Quadro P2000 GPU. Can't get Plex to use HW transcoding.

Using Production Branch driver in nVidia Plugin Settings.

image.png.b5d46f9063a1a28d5ba012a43af869d3.png

Based on forums tips, I have Plex docker settings like this

image.thumb.png.f385d35d660484344fcacaccef44dfc4.png

image.png.ec2d68e7069ce12f84acf0850cf7e919.png

And these in Plex Server Settings:

image.thumb.png.e1fbfd8df87a022c08776ac4ced7f89f.png

Still, when forcing transcoding, no HW transcoding is used, only CPU is used.

image.png.3c00b84e466a953c8e1cff108d8f33fd.png

Double checking with "watch nvidia-smi" in Unraid Terminal, shows the GPU isn't working.

image.png.b69b45d4763e15bd8a2492ea8e3f283b.png

Posting diagnostics too.

Assistance very much appreciated. 🙂

srv-master2-diagnostics-20231124-2312.zip

Edited by NuWanDa

@NuWanDa I'm currently running into this same issue. I've had the official Plex docker installed for a while now with it transcoding through my P5000. It just worked last week, I saw the transcodes say (HW). Now tonight, it's not using my GPU to transcode. Have no idea why. Last time this happened it was a Plex firmware that solved it (it took a couple weeks to be pushed out). I'm going to try a different repository (probably binhex) and see if that solves it for me.

Edited by solidbrolly