[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

6 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I would recommend that you first look at the first recommended post on top of this thread.

Appreciate your guidance, still a newbie. Forgive my lack of understanding and my curiousity, why would the installation of a driver from the manufacturer for a device I own cause an violation of EULA? I'd have written a PN, but I don't see a functionality for it.

16 minutes ago, freetgy said:

Appreciate your guidance, still a newbie. Forgive my lack of understanding and my curiousity, why would the installation of a driver from the manufacturer for a device I own cause an violation of EULA? I'd have written a PN, but I don't see a functionality for it.

I think you‘ve read the wrong post, this is the correct post:

In that post there is not even one thing mentioned about the EULA.

EDIT: The installation through my plugin of the old legacy drivers was never possible and will never be possible, sorry…

You would have no benefit at all as described in the linked post.

• Like 1

Great plugin, but.. I dont know, i reported this bug (is it a feature?) 1000 years ago and it still does that.

Why does it keep updating my graphic drivers on his own?

Why does it not keep the setting ive set it to?

Everytime i check this setting its back to "use the latest"... so why the f we can even change anything when it goes on his own back to "latest version" anyway?

Edited by NewDisplayName
11 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

I dont know, i reported this bug (is it a feature?) 1000 years ago and it still does that.

I know what you've reported but it's no issue on my system and I can't reproduce that.

16 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

Why does it not keep the setting ive set it to?

Do you upgrade or downgrade you Unraid version?

Which driver version are you using?

16 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

Everytime i check this setting its back to "use the latest"... so why the f we can even change anything when it goes on his own back to "latest version" anyway?

Sorry but can you please calm down. I'm trying to help but you even didn't include Diagnostics from your system so that I can see what it did, you even didn't provide what happened (reboot, plugin update,...).

8 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I know what you've reported but it's no issue on my system and I can't reproduce that.

Do you upgrade or downgrade you Unraid version?

Which driver version are you using?

Sorry but can you please calm down. I'm trying to help but you even didn't include Diagnostics from your system so that I can see what it did, you even didn't provide what happened (reboot, plugin update,...).

Hey, i m calm down. Please chill. Im just a bit sarcastic and its not my mother language. okay???

I always set it to a fixed value like image.png.c7a7f7fc29bcd1c0ac3dc09446466e1c.png

what happens if that version vanishes out of the list?

14 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

Hey, i m calm down.

The above doesn't sounded like that and English is also not my native language.

15 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

what happens if that version vanishes out of the list?

For a running Unraid version or if you upgrade to a new Unraid version?

• If we are talking about a running Unraid version nothing should happen.
  • If you are upgrading or downgrading to another Unraid version where that specific driver version is not available it will indeed fall back to the latest option since this is the only viable option for me since the plugin can't know what version one would like use now.
8 minutes ago, ich777 said:

The above doesn't sounded like that and English is also not my native language.

For a running Unraid version or if you upgrade to a new Unraid version?

• If we are talking about a running Unraid version nothing should happen.
  • If you are upgrading or downgrading to another Unraid version where that specific driver version is not available it will indeed fall back to the latest option since this is the only viable option for me since the plugin can't know what version one would like use now.

So "is not available it will indeed fall back to the latest option" which is "latest"?

Also this has nothing to do with up or downgrading, because it also happens after each restart.

Why you cant keep the same version? I mean, these versions doesnt just disapear? Where comes the list from?

you know its very frustrating when you try to find out what the issue is, and "every plugin" and "every setting" does they thjings on their own... do you understand? Too much variables.

Also its very unintuitive if you select something and then later it just gets overwritten... 

Edited by NewDisplayName
1 minute ago, NewDisplayName said:

So "is not available it will indeed fall back to the latest option" which is "latest"?

I think you missunderstood, if the specific driver version that you've selected is not available for the new Unraid version that you are up- or downgrading I have to fall back to the latest available version.

2 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

Also this has nothing to do with up or downgrading, because it also happens after each restart.

It does because the second bullet point is only true if you are up- or downgrading the Unraid version.

3 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

Why you cant keep the same version? I mean, these versions doesnt just disapear?

As said across reboots (without a Unraid up- or downgrade) I can't reproduce what you are experiencing and the version just stays the same as what I selected in the plugin.

Or do you mean that I should keep all driver versions for all Unraid versions?

5 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I think you missunderstood, if the specific driver version that you've selected is not available for the new Unraid version that you are up- or downgrading I have to fall back to the latest available version.

It does because the second bullet point is only true if you are up- or downgrading the Unraid version.

As said across reboots (without a Unraid up- or downgrade) I can't reproduce what you are experiencing and the version just stays the same as what I selected in the plugin.

Or do you mean that I should keep all driver versions for all Unraid versions?

Im a little bit confused.

How can a nvidia update be "not avaible for unraid"?

"It does because the second bullet point is only true if you are up- or downgrading the Unraid version."

What does that mean? As far as i know it will download the latest (selected) version when restarting? (if needed)

"Or do you mean that I should keep all driver versions for all Unraid versions?"

Im not sure what you mean, do you keep the driver files? Or do you just keep the database? I mean  if we just talk about some kb for each version, why not allow that?

Edited by NewDisplayName

Im a little bit confused.

You are not alone.

You still have not said what you've did. Did you just reboot? Did you up- or downgrade the Unraid version? Where are your Diagnostics?

I would really like to see two sets of Diagnostics from you on after you set the driver version to a static version on the plugin page and then another one after a reboot of your server after it changed back to latest.

You are not alone.

You still have not said what you've did. Did you just reboot? Did you up- or downgrade the Unraid version? Where are your Diagnostics?

I would really like to see two sets of Diagnostics from you on after you set the driver version to a static version on the plugin page and then another one after a reboot of your server after it changed back to latest.

I cant tell you what exactly lead to this. I just noticed it atleast 3 times by now. (since u released this)

I did numerous restarts and a update.

If you say it defaults to latest when its no longer in the list, i think we have the problem already found... 🙂

Edited by NewDisplayName

If you say it defaults to latest when its no longer in the list, i think we have the problem already found... 🙂

That's not what I've said...

26 minutes ago, ich777 said:

If we are talking about a running Unraid version nothing should happen.

I really don't understand why you can't answer my questions but sometimes I really can't help it seems... :P

5 minutes ago, ich777 said:

That's not what I've said...

Even the confusion is confused!!!

You said

"If you are upgrading or downgrading to another Unraid version where that specific driver version is not available it will indeed fall back to the latest option since this is the only viable option for me since the plugin can't know what version one would like use now."

I told you i also did a update, so this is probably what happend?

Are we on the same tracks now?

3 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

I told you i also did a update, so this is probably what happend?

Just to clarify:

• When you are not updating and just rebooting the server while the driver version is set to a specific version on the plugin page it will stay on that driver version (even if it isn't anymore in the list <- this can happen when Nvidia releases much drivers in a short period of time).
  • When you are updating the Unraid version and the static driver version that you've selected is not available for the new Unraid version it will go back to latest <- what should the plugin else use?

These are two different things and only in one case it will go back to latest.

Just to clarify:

• When you are not updating and just rebooting the server while the driver version is set to a specific version on the plugin page it will stay on that driver version (even if it isn't anymore in the list <- this can happen when Nvidia releases much drivers in a short period of time).

Yes i understand that.

• When you are updating the Unraid version and the static driver version that you've selected is not available for the new Unraid version it will go back to latest <- what should the plugin else use?

I would suggest to keep all versions, so it never changes the version without user input. I guess you only store the links and versions, so not the real drivers, right? So that shouldnt be a problem.

Edited by NewDisplayName
Just now, NewDisplayName said:

I would suggest to keep all versions, so it never changes the version without user input.

Not possible, because each individual Unraid version needs all drivers to be recompiled and then uploaded so that users can download them, it's not like if you are installing a driver on Windows.

You are basically downloading a precompiled Nvidia driver version for your specific Unraid version if you install a driver through the plugin and yes I have to store all the drivers for each individual Unraid version.

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Not possible, because each individual Unraid version needs all drivers to be recompiled and then uploaded so that users can download them, it's not like if you are installing a driver on Windows.

You are basically downloading a precompiled Nvidia driver version for your specific Unraid version if you install a driver through the plugin and yes I have to store all the drivers for each individual Unraid version.

Ah, okay, i didnt know that. I thought you just link to nvidia...

Then i dont see a fix for this.

• Like 1

Is it possible to manually install the nvidia driver if we're using a custom kernel i.e 6.7.3?

I am experimenting with thors' custom linux kernels but I can't install the nvidia plugin/driver through CA for obvious reasons. If possible, please detail how. Thanks. 

44 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

If possible, please detail how. Thanks. 

not supported here, if you are testing with custom kernels, then you should look into howto compile NV drivers dependant on the custom kernel too ... every driver is compiled vs. the Unraid Kernel ...

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

Is it possible to manually install the nvidia driver if we're using a custom kernel i.e 6.7.3?

No. I only provide packages for official Unraid version, you should look here which Kernels are supported: Click

53 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

If possible, please detail how.

Look at my repository the compile.sh is in there but it's up to you how you compile it.