[Plugin] DVB-Driver

ich777

10 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Have you yet tried card=59?

I know it's a different card but it has the exact same chip as your combo card for DVB-S

TBH I really don't like these Hauppauge cards... :D

They can get pretty complicated fast... :P

Is there maybe a firmware update for the card available? I can't imagine that this is how it should work.

I get you about the Hauppauge cards, and their site is ... unhelpful.  Unfortunately it was the only accessible combo DVB-T and DVB-S card I could find (or indeed any good DVB-S card).

card=59 doesn't load - fails on the same error from the m88ds3103 driver (and doesn't even try to load the DVB-T adapter).  Going back into the source for that driver, I found this snippet - I think this is where it dies and fails the frontend setup (this is here) as if it's not one of those two hardcoded IDs (70 or 74 from the header file) then it throws an error. 

image.png.4a9725340d17b5b65cf31605668f05bd.png

I'd try slipping 71 into there to see if it passes (maybe try to load it as the RT6000 as that's what the 5525 allegedly uses according to LinuxTV), but I have no idea how to build / deploy the driver if I did.

How do firmware updates work with Hauppauge cards?  Can't seem to find any documentation on it - do I need to pop it into a Windows box and do it via their software?

1 hour ago, falo said:

I'd try slipping 71 into there to see if it passes (maybe try to load it as the RT6000 as that's what the 5525 allegedly uses according to LinuxTV), but I have no idea how to build / deploy the driver if I did.

I don't think this is going to work.

However I could compile the drivers but I think that needs to be fixed by Hauppauge. I would ask Hauppauge if it is even supported on Linux and why that it doesn't load properly.

1 hour ago, falo said:

How do firmware updates work with Hauppauge cards?  Can't seem to find any documentation on it - do I need to pop it into a Windows box and do it via their software?

I really don't know how to do that, maybe try to ask the support.

My recommendation is always to use Digital Devices or Sundtek Tuners.

13 hours ago, ich777 said:

I don't think this is going to work.

However I could compile the drivers but I think that needs to be fixed by Hauppauge. I would ask Hauppauge if it is even supported on Linux and why that it doesn't load properly.

I really don't know how to do that, maybe try to ask the support.

My recommendation is always to use Digital Devices or Sundtek Tuners.

Looks like this has been an issue for newer versions of these cards for a couple of years - found this git issue on Hauppauge's repo.  As far as their other documentation is concerned, the card should be supported but it feels like they haven't kept up with hardware revisions and slightly shoddy code paths.

Noted on future hardware choices!

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2021 at 4:46 PM, suyac said:

The tunners are not new & the power for them comes from a molex to 2 fdd splitter. I scoured the digital-devices website for the models I have. The octopus is a Octopus PCIe Bridge V2 and the extensions are DuoFlex CT cards (not sure is v1 or v2) .

I did not change anything on the cards myself.

After alot of tests today this is the status: on all driver options except the "digital devices" one (so librelec, tbs and xbox ) all 4 tuners show up in the plugin ( as ddbridge | 0.9.33-integrated ). Tvheadend sees them and it finds services when it scans the muxes (this goes slowly and with a lot of fail results but at this time almost all the channels I need are found).

I m now suspecting that the 0.9.38 driver does not like my cards. Are there any resources that you can point me at about where I can learn to create a package with another driver version ( 0.9.37 ). The link I posted earlier does not work as unraid does not have apt-get or yum etc.

dvbdriver-xbox.png

@ich777 @suyac 

Did you guys solve this, I have pretty much the same setup, The Octopus Bridge, but with only one DuoFlex twin tuner.

image.thumb.png.3ab60e1683850245024dc50951a286c0.png

23 minutes ago, jevis said:

Did you guys solve this, I have pretty much the same setup, The Octopus Bridge, but with only one DuoFlex twin tuner.

Have you yet tried the DigitalDevices driver package? I see that you are using the LibreELEC package.

Which version is your DuoFlex tuner? The user from the post that you've linked has had a really old version from the card IIRC.

What is your exact issue?

15 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Have you yet tried the DigitalDevices driver package? I see that you are using the LibreELEC package.

Which version is your DuoFlex tuner? The user from the post that you've linked has had a really old version from the card IIRC.

What is your exact issue?

Using the Digital Devices driver package, nothing shows up, in the DVB info. And yes these are also old versions (https://www.digital-devices.eu/shop/en/tv-cards/) The Octopus Bridge, but with only one DuoFlex twin tuner, just don't remeber anymore which version, as I haven't used them for few years.

I was trying to set these up with Plex DVR, but no channels are found. Signal should be fine, I have internet coming through the same cable and using a DATA/TV splitter to split the cables.

image.thumb.png.09ccb9d2a3420fd8b6c933025e159a95.pngimage.thumb.png.0d0dfb82c0696fef2b8d254bd784980d.pngimage.thumb.png.6bea6f8f9357719ce7e2a56ecdf67278.png

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

If you are using Plex, you have to use a "bridge" since DigitalDevices are not supported, please look at the recommended post on top.

@ich777 

I think it could be a driver issue, or something else. I tested with the Digital Devices, and I don't get the /dev/dvb/ directory at all, and also the plugin DVB info is empty.

Also tried with TVheadend, and it can't find any channels, with any of the options.

Was also testing on a Windows virtual machine and found that the newest windows drivers don't seem to support the Duoflex. But I got it working with older 2.6.5.142 windows drivers., still I'd rather not run these in a VM just for this :) .. Any ideas how to run this with the plugin drivers?

6 minutes ago, jevis said:

I think it could be a driver issue, or something else. I tested with the Digital Devices, and I don't get the /dev/dvb/ directory at all, and also the plugin DVB info is empty.

Do you get /dev/dvb with the LibreELEC package? I don't think that's a driver issue because the plugin page actually lists your tunes (this is pulled from the /dev/dvb directory itself. Did you check the directory on the host or in the container?

7 minutes ago, jevis said:

Also tried with TVheadend, and it can't find any channels, with any of the options.

Any logs you can provide?

7 minutes ago, jevis said:

Any ideas how to run this with the plugin drivers?

Please install the LibreELEC drivers, reboot and post your Diagnostics.

6 hours ago, ich777 said:

Do you get /dev/dvb with the LibreELEC package? I don't think that's a driver issue because the plugin page actually lists your tunes (this is pulled from the /dev/dvb directory itself. Did you check the directory on the host or in the container?

Any logs you can provide?

Please install the LibreELEC drivers, reboot and post your Diagnostics.

@ich777 

Thanks and I actually got it working, sorry for the fuzz .. I tried using the TVheadend preset muxes, and didn't realize those were really old ones. Updated them and now I got some channels visible, but some otherwise free HD channels (free on our cable providers android TV box), still seem to need a card here, and either a cable ready or a CI+ card reader .. looks like this ain't gonna work too well for me :/

I do have an old CI module and a CI reader, but apparently this needs CI+ and pairing.

Edited by jevis
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am currently using this plugin and am on unRAID 6.11.5.  I am going to upgrade to the latest unRAID version - 6.12.4.  What is the recommended process for the sequence of upgrading the OS and the DVB-Driver plugin.  Should I upgrade unRAID first and then upgrade the plugin, or the other way around?  I am on the 2022-07-20 version of DVB-Driver.

2 hours ago, wayner said:

What is the recommended process for the sequence of upgrading the OS and the DVB-Driver plugin.

Just use the built in upgrade assistant from Unraid itself and watch the Unraid notifications after the upgrade assistant finished, the plugin_update_helper should kick in and update the plugin ahead of time and it will tell you when it is safe to reboot or a error happened.

So to speak the plugin package should be pulled automatically for the new Unraid version after the Unraid upgrade assistant finished and will notify you. You don't have to do anything with the plugin if everything went well.

11 minutes ago, wayner said:

Thanks - it wants me to update DVB-Driver.

Oh, I understood that incorrect, yes, always update the plugins because I improve them and make bugfixes to them, this will not affect how the plugin is working since the driver packages are only pulled in by the plugin on installation on boot.

11 minutes ago, wayner said:

Does it do any harm if I update DVB-Driver but don't  get around to updating the OS in the short term?  In other words can I run the latest version of this plugin with bit of an older OS?

Yes, it is totally possible to run the plugin with an older Unraid version because the plugin always pulls the correct drivers for the Unraid version which is installed.

Even if you update through the Unraid update assistent, it will pull the drivers for the new version ahead of time so that they are available on boot and leave the drivers for the current running Unraid version untouched until you reboot.

So to speak, you don't update the drivers with a plugin update. The update from the plugin itself only improves the plugin page and how things are working but not the drivers.

Hope that makes sense to you.

1 hour ago, wayner said:

Should I always wait until you have updated the plugin before updating to the latest OS version?

No, this was just a coincidence. The plugin driver packages are nowadays usually ready when the new Unraid version is released.

You will receive a notification after using the built in Unraid update assistant after the download is finished and if you get an error you can come back here before rebooting your system to solve issues.

As a note, you maybe have to open up the notifications to actually see the notifications if you are on Unraid 6.12.x because there the notifications disappear by default after 5 seconds.

So to speak, use the built in Unraid update assistant and you will receive additional notifications (like if a Parity check started/finished) after you close the updater.

Please look only at the 2nd and 3rd picture from this post: Click and you will know what I mean.

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2022 at 11:01 AM, jnk22 said:

Hi, I am having some problems with my Digital Devices cards since upgrading from 6.9.2 to 6.10-rc3/4.

When starting a stream, my logs are getting spammed with this message:

Mar 21 10:31:07 Eutronik kernel: ddbridge 0000:01:00.0: Frontend requested software zigzag, but didn't set the frequency step size

I have both DVB-S2 and DVB-C2 cards installed, however last time it was when tuning on a DVB-C2 channel.

Due to the frequent error logging, I have to restart every other day to prevent my log being filled up to 100%.

I have waited for the 6.10-rc4 release, but that didn't solve this issue unfortunately 😐

---

I have done some research regarding this error message, this line has been added at 2022-01-14:

https://github.com/DigitalDevices/dddvb/commit/b6d2a37ac21c6c49830dda085d0176cd9320395f

(file: dvb-core/dvb_frontend.c)

Checking your compile script for DD drivers, these seem to be included in your sources - as they are currently in the master branch.

Is it possible to manually override the source with an older version of the dddvb drivers? e.g. with 0.9.38pre3 which doesn't have those lines included?

There is also a thread in a mailing list:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/msg3876756.html

There is a line which includes dev_warn_once() instead of dev_warn(), as it is currently being used. I don't know if this would change anything though..

dmesg_2022-03-21_10-21.txt 126.25 kB · 1 download lspci-output_2022-03-21_10-21.txt 45.31 kB · 2 downloads

Screenshot 2022-03-20 at 20-05-37 Eutronik_dvb-driver.png

This problem seems to be resolved now.

@Jake404

A recent commit for `dvb_frontend.c` changed the line so that this warning/error gets logged only once instead of non-stop.

Using the DigitalDevices driver should therefore be working again since the 6.1.43-Unraid release of this plugin.

I can confirm that with the current version 6.1.49-Unraid this message gets only logged once now.

For reference, it was this line that got spammed endlessly:

Oct  2 10:33:45 SERVERNAME kernel: ddbridge 0000:01:00.0: Frontend requested software zigzag, but didn't set the frequency step size

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

For testing purposes I plugged in a PCTV DVB-S2 461e USB stick into my test Unraid (running as VM), installed the DVB Driver plugin and rebooted (tested with LibreELEC and TBS). But there is nothing present in /dev/dvb and therefore nothing shown in the "DVB Info". But it it seams that at least the driver/firmware is loaded... dmesg shows:

[   12.199609] em28xx 1-3:1.0: EEPROM ID = 26 00 01 00, EEPROM hash = 0x72d64ca2
[   12.200519] em28xx 1-3:1.0: EEPROM info:
[   12.200716] em28xx 1-3:1.0:  microcode start address = 0x0004, boot configuration = 0x01
[   12.208369] em28xx 1-3:1.0:  AC97 audio (5 sample rates)
[   12.208582] em28xx 1-3:1.0:  500mA max power
[   12.208790] em28xx 1-3:1.0:  Table at offset 0x27, strings=0x148c, 0x1874, 0x0a6a
[   12.262860] em28xx 1-3:1.0: Identified as PCTV DVB-S2 Stick (461e v2) (card=104)
[   12.263980] em28xx 1-3:1.0: dvb set to bulk mode.
[   12.264366] usbcore: registered new interface driver em28xx
[   12.270478] em28xx 1-3:1.0: Binding DVB extension
[   12.275056] em28xx: Registered (Em28xx dvb Extension) extension
[   12.279261] em28xx 1-3:1.0: Registering input extension
[   12.301840] rc_core: IR keymap rc-pinnacle-pctv-hd not found
[   12.302049] Registered IR keymap rc-empty
[   12.302304] rc rc0: PCTV DVB-S2 Stick (461e v2) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/rc/rc0
[   12.303331] input: PCTV DVB-S2 Stick (461e v2) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/rc/rc0/input6
[   12.304431] em28xx 1-3:1.0: Input extension successfully initialized
[   12.304713] em28xx: Registered (Em28xx Input Extension) extension

Is it possible that this stick doesn't work at all? Or the V2 of this card is not supported or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for some info

Regards

tunraid-diagnostics-20231117-2229.zip

17 hours ago, subivoodoo said:

Is it possible that this stick doesn't work at all? Or the V2 of this card is not supported or am I doing something wrong?

Maybe your USB DVB device is broken but at least what I can see in your syslog it is recognized and initialized correctly.

However it might be down to the virtualization layer that you are adding and I can't tell if that's the issue here too, I had it a few times in the Nvidia driver thread that you have to pass over special start parameters or something like that.

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

Maybe your USB DVB device is broken but at least what I can see in your syslog it is recognized and initialized correctly.

The stick works on Windows, it can't be broken. VM passthrough issues possible yes, so I've tested it bare metal with the same behavior. The following lines from your link are missing on "my init":

kernel: i2c i2c-9: a8293: Allegro A8293 SEC attached
kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (em28178 #0)
kernel: usb 2-1: DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Montage M88DS3103)...

Sadly I found an amazon customer review having equal issues with the same hardware revision (BAH9 in my case) on RPI and also I found this page German support page with "Linux support only for older revisions".

So it was a short test...

Thanks anyway.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, subivoodoo said:

The stick works on Windows, it can't be broken.

That‘s good to know. :)

25 minutes ago, subivoodoo said:

Linux support only for older revisions

That‘s sadly the case most with almost every DVB device.

You can see if you can get a Sundtek USB tuner or even a DigitalDevices or TBS PCIe based card if there is room for an expansion card in your system.