Any recommendations for a new TV-Set?

furymaster

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any TVs which are able to connect to an unRAID-server?

To be al little more specific: I have all of my movies in MKV containers. I simply want to play movies from my unRAID-server without the need for an additional player box, which a) costs extra and b) increases the remote control counter.

I do have a PS3, but unfortunately the PS3 has an awful way of browsing large collections, although ps3mediaserver is installed and running on my unRAID-server.

Any hints?

I had a Samsung LED that played practically everything since my Samsung phone does. However I bought the 240hz version and the flickering was driving me insane so I brought it back and got a Panasonic Plasma.

I used Media Tomb with unRAID and it worked pretty well. The only problem I never got around to doing was tweaking the config files with MediaTomb so it displayed the way I liked it.

I've been doing a little research now and again.  I've read that Samsung wants to be the top dog in flat screen tv and they are pushing the boundries for new features.

For the tv to access your home network look for DLNA support in the TV.  Also, the Samsungs support Samsung Web Apps which is a cool feature.  

Just some general advise.  Although most things I like to go out and look at / touch before I buy, I believe TVs are better researched online.  It is too easy for the settings to be messed with in the store.  Also, the manu play games with the colors to make them appealing in store situations which is nothing like a house.  You can look at the ergonomics and style, but a good or bad picture in the store doesn't tell you much.

Go to AVS.  There are usually long threads on the different TVs.  Often you'll find people that have done calibration with expensive test euipment and can give you settings that create the best picture for your model.  Once I find a TV people are raving about and has a following of tweakers with the tools to really evaluate the TV, that's the one I go for.

Question for kizer - I thought the higher scan rates reduced flicker.  Not true of the 240Hz Samsung LED?  I saw a 3D demo of this TV at BB and thought it looked pretty amazing.  But not really in the market so have not done any research.

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any TVs which are able to connect to an unRAID-server?

To be al little more specific: I have all of my movies in MKV containers. I simply want to play movies from my unRAID-server without the need for an additional player box, which a) costs extra and b) increases the remote control counter.

I do have a PS3, but unfortunately the PS3 has an awful way of browsing large collections, although ps3mediaserver is installed and running on my unRAID-server.

Any hints?

playing mkv via DLNA is a major issue with most TV-sets.

Since mkv is just the container, you need to check if the TV also supports the codec inside.

And the feature set is not shared between DLNA/IP and local USB storage in the tv-set and

are not standardized even for the same manufacturer or model-line...so check all required permutations

of container, codec and connection that are relevant to you.

I have the feeling that the manufacturers are actually avoiding a more open/common set of features.

As I've only ripped about 100 DVDs of my collection by now - what format would be best to store them?

I don't want to store VIDEO_TS because of the size (even my 30 TB unRAID wouldn't hold all of my disks that way), and ISOs arent the way for me either. So I have to convert my DVDs using Handbrake into something smaller - but into which format, if MKV is not the choice?

Hi,

Any hints?

Even though you don't want the extra clutter you really should look into a good quality media player. Don't spend ANY extra money on a network connected TV. IMHO a good media player (I have two) plays just about every kind of media file you throw at it. I did not want to be TIED down to the limitations of a built-in TV type player which is VERY limited when it comes to connecting to outside resources like unRAID.

BTW, I have a Popcorn A210 and a Dune Prime 3.0. I play full blown blu-ray releases, MKV files galore, complete ISO image files, and all the rest. A TV player can't touch it.

Question for kizer - I thought the higher scan rates reduced flicker.  Not true of the 240Hz Samsung LED?  I saw a 3D demo of this TV at BB and thought it looked pretty amazing.  But not really in the market so have not done any research.

I had the Samsung Class 8, 8000 model. It was nearly an inch thick. It looks amazing in Blue Ray and on my Xbox360, but when you put XBMC on it or simply my HD dish for some reason depending on the content it would speed up certain frames and slow down others. Almost gave you a scene that didn't seem natural, which some refer to as a Soap Opera effect. You know a film where it looked to real and almost UnNatural feeling.

The shuttering I would get was almost like somebody quickly walked into a room and reached out to shake your hand in slow motion and then fast again and then slow again. Always in the middle of the screen. Started to drive me bonkers. The wife didn't really notice it much, but I've always been very sensitve to catching flaws in video. The last draw was when we where watching a TV show on Channel 7 in HD and no matter if it was live or recorded on the DVR it would constantly give us a shuttering. I called up Dish and they brought out a new Dish, new wireing you name it. Connected up my 37" Vizio and the picture was perfect. Played in all the settings and no matter what I did I couldn't get rid of the random shuttering.

The Samsung played Xvids, Divx, Mov, MP4's the only format I didn't try was mkv. It played them right off unRAID via its built in media player, it played files right off a USB stick plugged in the side. Heck it even had a plug to power a 2.5" portable drive and play video. I used AllShare to stream videos from my Samsung phone to my Tv and then my phone acted as a remote. It was Amazing and I was sad to see the Tv go.

I searched various forums and they did say that LED 240hz was an unnatural refresh rate and they have reported shuttering. I of course just wanted a nice picture and finally gave up fighting it. Oddly enough my 60Hz Vizio never had an issue and I did consider picking up a 120hz Samsung so I could keep the playing of videos, but found my Panasonic Plasma, which uses more power and puts out a little bit of heat, but the picture is amazing.

As I've only ripped about 100 DVDs of my collection by now - what format would be best to store them?

I don't want to store VIDEO_TS because of the size (even my 30 TB unRAID wouldn't hold all of my disks that way), and ISOs arent the way for me either. So I have to convert my DVDs using Handbrake into something smaller - but into which format, if MKV is not the choice?

...as said, this would be related to the feature set of your (future) TV-Set.

Again, MKV is just the container and not the codec.

Handbrake will normally create MKV with H.264 or OGG/theora inside...alternatively its MP4 format with  MEPG-4 codec.

I don't think that there are many TV-sets that would play any of these via DLNA....some will via local USB.

For playback via DLNA the save choice is AVI container with MPEG-2 codec inside ... but this is most likely not what

you would like to see from an advanced setup.

Even though you don't want the extra clutter you really should look into a good quality media player. Don't spend ANY extra money on a network connected TV. IMHO a good media player (I have two) plays just about every kind of media file you throw at it. I did not want to be TIED down to the limitations of a built-in TV type player which is VERY limited when it comes to connecting to outside resources like unRAID.

BTW, I have a Popcorn A210 and a Dune Prime 3.0. I play full blown blu-ray releases, MKV files galore, complete ISO image files, and all the rest. A TV player can't touch it.

I must admit that this is somewhat reality...sad, but true.

+1

i can advice you to read a bit about these samsung and other dnla programs..

most of them are SLOW ...not playing 1080p and most of the time most users have a lot of problems with them...

i was also looking into this and decided to go htpc way ...

for the moment running xbmc that i hacked a bit to fullfill my needs ...

soon i will go for a small box with an atom base motherboard and ssd drive to put under the tv and use the old box for the kid :P

Ok, another heads up. I have a Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant Phone which is supposed to be one of Samsungs Flagship phones. Another words they are super proud of it. ;)

I just dropped a mkv on it and it played the video perfectly even a 720rip. Audio I had an issue with because there was none, but I'm not sure if its because the one I dropped in it had dual audio tracks or not.

What I did note when I had my Samsung TV, was when I played a video across my network to a PC connected to my TV the Audio/video was perfect with the exception of my said above jutter. Blacks where nice and dark, but when I used my USB on the side and streamed it via the build in DNLA client the blacks had a pixelated look to it almost like the TV was doing some kind of Transcoding on the fly. I only really noticed it on one movie "Shutter Island(720)", but it was one scene and the entire screen was black and transitioned into a grayish color then white.

Ok, just found a single track mkv and it played perfectly on my Samsung phone. Audio/Video worked great.

However its a phone and the technology is geared differently. Anyways hope that helps or something LOL

I just recently got a 50 inch Samsung 3D Plasma TV that can play mkv files over the network. I mostly use that feature to play Half SBS 3D content from my Unraid server (using mediatomb). I use XBMC for everything else because the interface is much better (more wife friendly) and the TV can't output anything more than stereo from mkv files. I think all Samsung TVs have this limitation, so be careful. A dedicated media player is a better bet.

Umm, there aren't any non-Edge Lit LEDs in Samsungs in the lineup currently. Some say because Samsung lost a lawsuit to Sharp regarding the technology:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sharp-wins-us-suit-against-samsung-over-lcd-patents-2009-11-10

Maybe models coming out in the fall of this year will be Full Array LEDs, but until then on the Full Array LED-front its all Sony, Vizio, and LG's game. Unless you want a older model:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55B8500-55-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B002HDZNSC

I bought a Sony XBR52HX909 Full Array LED LCD TV. I just had to get a full array, just makes more sense to me. Also, the manufactures are getting away from making full array LED sets because of cost and they know the average TV buyer has no idea what's going on.

To make it short, this TV is AMAZING. The picture quality, deep rich colors are just fantastic. I bought this particular set because it has full array LED and local dimming. Two features I wanted, also 240Hz refresh. I can't say how good the picture looks in words. I've had other LCD TV's, a smaller plasma and even a DLP model. This one is like you are looking out your window. Everything looks so real. And forget about Blu Ray stuff. That's out of this world! It is an Internet TV, so it includes Netflix and all the other stuff people want. I don't care about that stuff though. It is also a 3D TV. This is a late 2010 Sony model. They still are available but harder and harder to get. The 2011 Sony models aren't full array and more cost effective with sub-par features. What made me really jump on this was the price. I got it for $2288. If you want any more details on it, please let me know. I highly recommend this particular model.