[Support] ich777 - Jellyfin AMD/Intel/Nvidia [DEPRECATED]

35 minutes ago, Peelson said:

stopped and OOM

Looks like you are transcoding to RAM.

Can you send a screenshot from your template? Have you changed anything in the config or the template?

32 minutes ago, Peelson said:

When i'm using emby, my gpu usage is low

Because in Emby throttling is working where in Jellyfin it isn‘t, so to speak, in Emby only little chunks are encoded where in Jellyfin on the other hand the the full movie is transocded at full blast.

Do you have a cache drive installed in your server?

37 minutes ago, Peelson said:

Sorry for my English.
I had a 5600g APU, When I'm trying to play 4k(120mbps or 60mbps) or 1080p by hardware encoding, it was failed, My GPU usage went full.And my unraid 6.10.rc4 stopped and OOM.
I can get more info and logs later,because my unraid stopped at home but i'm at work......
btw, i had tryed emby, it worked, but it does not play smoothly......

8661650423562_.pic.jpg

8671650423585_.pic.jpg

Luckily I connected to Unraid by SSH,I restarted it and these are logs.

jellyfin.log FFmpeg_001.log FFmpeg_002.log FFmpeg_003.log FFmpeg_004.log FFmpeg_005.log FFmpeg_006.log FFmpeg_007.log FFmpeg_008.log FFmpeg_009.log FFmpeg_010.log

5 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Looks like you are transcoding to RAM.

Can you send a screenshot from your template? Have you changed anything in the config or the template?

Because in Emby throttling is working where in Jellyfin it isn‘t, so to speak, in Emby only little chunks are encoded where in Jellyfin on the other hand the the full movie is transocded at full blast.

Do you have a cache drive installed in your server?

I have 16G RAM

Just now, Peelson said:

I have 16G RAM

Yes, transcoding can consume easily that ammount of RAM.

I have 64GB of ram and if I transcode something that is 4K (about 20GB) to a compatible format the transcoding cache can be about 18 GB

Can you go to the Jellyfin settings at Playback and can you look what transcoding path is set?

If you get a Out of Memory error something must be written to RAM and fill up your entire RAM.

4 minutes ago, Peelson said:

what I really care about is that MY GPU usage is 100%, And My unraid stopped

These are two different things.

Your GPU is at full load becaus the throttling doesn‘t work in Jellyfin when you are transcoding, there is a bug in it and the developers disabled throttling entierely even if you‘ve enabled it in the settings.

This has also the benefit that the whole movie is transcoded in one go and not in little chunks but there are more downsides to this the benefits from my perspective.

The Out of Memory error, may I ask where you saw that it ran OOM, is usually caused because the movie is transcoded in one go, at full blast and maybe to some location on RAM.

Can you double check if the directory /mnt/user/appdata/Jellyfin-AMD-Intel-Nvidia/cache exists on Unraid?

It looks a bit suspicious to me why you are are running out of memory when you are transcoding.

You can try to start a transcode with a way lower resolution and at a lower bitrate, in the web player click on the gear Icon on the bottom right, at Quality select something really low like 480p 1.5Mbit/s and look if your RAM fills up again…

As said abive throttling is not working in Jellyfin so your GPU usage should be 100% again but as said above Jellyfin transcodes at full blast without any throttling.

47 minutes ago, Peelson said:

@ich777 Perhaps there is a way to get rid of emby's transcoding limit or limit GPU usage under maybe 90% to avoid unraid stopped

What do you mean with this?

Why do you want to get rid of Emby's transcoding limit? I thought you mean Jellyfin?

If you want to disable throttling in Emby then go to the server settings, at Transcoding disable throttling and click Save.

In Jellyfin you can't limit the usage because the develeopers from Jellyfin disabled throttling and there is nothing I can do about that.

As said above it would not harm your system when you GPU goes up to 100% here is it what it looks like on my system:

image.png.b4ccb3dee854f81c20e07c0c6d7893be.png

Of course I'm using a Intel iGPU and not a APU from AMD but that should make no difference (please look at the Video load which is also at 100%).

If you get a OOM error (please tell me where you got that message) there is most certain a different reason for this.

Other users are using my container with a AMD APU without any issues, regardless of the GPU usage.

18 minutes ago, ich777 said:

What do you mean with this?

Why do you want to get rid of Emby's transcoding limit? I thought you mean Jellyfin?

If you want to disable throttling in Emby then go to the server settings, at Transcoding disable throttling and click Save.

In Jellyfin you can't limit the usage because the develeopers from Jellyfin disabled throttling and there is nothing I can do about that.

As said above it would not harm your system when you GPU goes up to 100% here is it what it looks like on my system:

image.png.b4ccb3dee854f81c20e07c0c6d7893be.png

Of course I'm using a Intel iGPU and not a APU from AMD but that should make no difference (please look at the Video load which is also at 100%).

If you get a OOM error (please tell me where you got that message) there is most certain a different reason for this.

Other users are using my container with a AMD APU without any issues, regardless of the GPU usage.

2 hours ago, Peelson said:

8661650423562_.pic.jpg

When I started transcoding, my GPU usage went like this, and my unraid system froze,i can do nothing.
I got logs here, are there helpful?

2 hours ago, Peelson said:

3 minutes ago, Peelson said:

I got logs here, are there helpful?

I see nothing suspicious in there, I only see that it uses this path in the container to put the transcoding files to:

/config/transcodes/...

Where it should be /cache/transcodes/...

But that is only a minor thing since both paths should exist.

5 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I see nothing suspicious in there, I only see that it uses this path in the container to put the transcoding files to:

/config/transcodes/...

Maybe I'll buy a new Nvidia... 😭

7 minutes ago, ich777 said:

/config/transcodes/...

Thanks a lot! I will try more on it and may find more things

5 minutes ago, Peelson said:

Maybe I'll buy a new Nvidia... 😭

I find it a bit suspicious that your 5600g doesn't work where a 5700PRO is reported as working fine...

If you really going to buy a Nvidia card look out for a Nvidia T400 you can get them brand new for about $130,- and it as a maximum power consumption from 35W and doesn't need external power connection.

6 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Maybe try to disable "Allow encoding in HEVC format" in the Playback section and also try to disable Tone Mapping.

I will try it tonight

and btw I try to use emby by stop video for about 1min and continue play, it encoding 4k 120mbps fine......wtf

Hi @ich777

as suggested, i tried to use the VA Api, but did not see any changes.

I also deleted the docker image and resetup it, but also no different behaviour.

If you like and have the time, we could do a short Teamviewer session tomorrow, if you like?

Thank you for the help :)

8 hours ago, Secarius said:

Thank you for the help :)

Have you forced a video transcode?

Is this maybe only the transcode for the audio stream?

To force a transcode play a file, click on the gear icon on the bottom right and select a preset that is lower than the input file (if you play a file with 1080p 720p 1.5Mbit/s will force a transcode for example).