The 5X3 Cage review - Norco, SuperMicro, iStarUSA and Icy Dock

Whaler_99

The review Rajahal is excellent btw, I referenced it in the cases thread.

Thank you!  Glad you liked it.

In regards to a fan replacement for the Norco SS-500 V2, will any 80mm fan work?  should I shoot for 1500rpm or anything else in particular?  The model suggested in the review isn't available at any of the places I like to order from.

Pretty much any 80mm fan should work, just make sure it uses the standard style double-sided frame, as I mentioned in the review.  The cages use a sort of funky system in which the fan slides onto four plastic posts, then you secure the fan with four small, non-standard screws.  It works, but it is pretty different from most other fan mounting systems out there.

As for fan speed, I couldn't find any information as to the CFMs or dBAs of the stock fans.  That means that my recommendations for replacement fans are just educated guesses at this point.  At some point in the future I hope to be able to do some hands-on testing with replacement fans and be able to suggest my favorites, but at the moment I have other hardware and software projects and are taking priority.  I simply recommended the Coolink SWiF2-801 because I know that fan to work well in the V1, so it should be a safe bet for the V2 as well.  By the way, QuietPC is a very reputable vendor, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them if you have the option.  I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

If you do want to shop around for different fans, I would suggest trying to closely match the specs of the Coolink fan, which are: 11.0 dBA / 23.4 CFM / 1500 RPM.  Good luck!

regarding fan replacement.

would it not simply be more prudent and easier to just cut off the damn plastic legs the fan sits on and drill a hole for proper fan screws??

My coolink fans are on the way, and this interests me also. Is this a viable option??

would it not simply be more prudent and easier to just cut off the damn plastic legs the fan sits on and drill a hole for proper fan screws??

My coolink fans are on the way, and this interests me also. Is this a viable option??

I would imagine so, but you more than likely void the warranty and make it impossible to return.  Breaking them off and using some double sided tape, instead of screws, would probably achieve the same result.

I would imagine so, but you more than likely void the warranty and make it impossible to return.  Breaking them off and using some double sided tape, instead of screws, would probably achieve the same result.

yes I see. I finished reading the V2 updated review after i posted and see that breaking the pins did happen. I would guess that the drilling/screw option was considered and dismissed.

If you break the posts, contact Norco and ask for a replacement fan grill.  They sent me one for free without question.  YMMV.

I don't think drilling new screw holes would be worth the hassle.  The 4-post mounting system does work, it is just a bit funky.  If Norco gets enough requests for replacement fan grills, then maybe they'll change the design in V3 (I hope so!).  I think the current Norco SS-500 V2 design plus the fan mounting system of the Supermicro cages would be the best of both worlds.

In a pinch, I think double-sided tape or glue would probably work as well.

I have received my Coolink SWiF2-800's and I must say, they are SIGNIFICANTLY more quiet than the stock fans. I'm not seeing the same issues multiple people are referring to regarding the removal of the stock fan and installation of a replacement.  I had zero issues with all three units.  In all fairness, I was extremely careful due to the multiple "yep, I broke em too" posts.

As long as you take your time and be careful you shouldn't run into issues replacing the fans.  I also suggest using your screw driver and gently pushing on the fan from the outside through the vents to help the fan slowly come off of each post.  Don't get impatient and try to simply pull the fan out.  Keep in mind that if you simply pull the fan out on a single post it's going to be increasingly more difficult to remove it from the others.  So try to remove them all 4 sides in unison, just a little at a time.  This same concept also applies when installing the replacement fan.

I do enjoy the major decrease in noise, although I have noticed my drives run a bit hotter than they did with the stock fans.  I'm running around 33C - 37C.  It's 72C inside my house. I don't recall the exact temp of the drives with the stock fan but I'm pretty sure they ran cooler.  They are pushing a noticeable less amount of air than the stock fans did when you put your hand next to them.

I consider this a non issue really though as those temperatures aren't dangerous by any means.  If I recall you're not shaking hands with danger until around 55+.

I'll continue to monitor the HDD temperatures and update this thread if they continue to climb.

So, overall impression of these fans thus far - A+.

I have received my Coolink SWiF2-800's and I must say, they are SIGNIFICANTLY more quiet than the stock fans. I'm not seeing the same issues multiple people are referring to regarding the removal of the stock fan and installation of a replacement.  I had zero issues with all three units.  In all fairness, I was extremely careful due to the multiple "yep, I broke em too" posts.

As long as you take your time and be careful you shouldn't run into issues replacing the fans.  I also suggest using your screw driver and gently pushing on the fan from the outside through the vents to help the fan slowly come off of each post.  Don't get impatient and try to simply pull the fan out.  Keep in mind that if you simply pull the fan out on a single post it's going to be increasingly more difficult to remove it from the others.  So try to remove them all 4 sides in unison, just a little at a time.  This same concept also applies when installing the replacement fan.

I do enjoy the major decrease in noise, although I have noticed my drives run a bit hotter than they did with the stock fans.  I'm running around 33C - 37C.  It's 72C inside my house. I don't recall the exact temp of the drives with the stock fan but I'm pretty sure they ran cooler.  They are pushing a noticeable less amount of air than the stock fans did when you put your hand next to them.

I consider this a non issue really though as those temperatures aren't dangerous by any means.  If I recall you're not shaking hands with danger until around 55+.

I'll continue to monitor the HDD temperatures and update this thread if they continue to climb.

So, overall impression of these fans thus far - A+.

No wonder why your drive temps are running hotter.  Your house temp. is 161.6 degree Fahrenheit or 72 C.  That's pretty hot. ;D

I too have changed mine following the recommended slow and easy approach. Quick and painless as long as you take your time and gently and evenly push the stock fan out. Temp difference is 3 to 4 degrees higher with drives in use than with the stock fans, but the difference in noise level is amazing. Compare it this way:

Stock Fans = Jet Airliner

Coolink Fans = Glider

I'm running around 33C - 37C.  It's 72C inside my house. I don't recall the exact temp of the drives with the stock fan but I'm pretty sure they ran cooler.

No wonder why your drive temps are running hotter.  Your house temp. is 161.6 degree Fahrenheit or 72 C.  That's pretty hot. ;D

... and I thought that it was quite warm in my house, when temperatures sometimes reach 35C!

Still, my drives run fine with all the fans removed from the drive cages.

If I recall you're not shaking hands with danger until around 55+.

A fellow RiffTrax fan I see ;D

I consider anything up to 45C to be safe for day-to-day use, 31 - 39C being the ideal range.  Anything above 45C would warrant a reworking of your cooling approach, and 55C would warrant an immediate shut-down of your system.  Thank you for your feedback on the fans, I'm glad they are working well for you and others.

well if you broke one off, i would assume warranty is gone too, so why not make it better for yourself at that point, right?

screw it, duct tape that sucker like Red/Green would!

I thought the same thing.. the second i saw the broken legs... "ok break the rest and drill them out. put a fan screw in from the back".

it might even make it better by removing the vibration of the fan rattling around on that plastic post.

Pretty craptastic design now, that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my Coolink SWiF2-801 and replaced the stock Norco fan. Install was super easy after reading the warnings regarding the fragile mounts ahead of time. It actually took longer to get the cage out due to the screw holes not being completely aligned with my case and having to take care not to strip the screws.

Temps seem to be idling steady ~30-32C. That's only ~5-6C higher than previously, and the noise level difference is night and day (the CPU fan is now the loudest in my case!). I'll keep an eye on the temps under load and whatnot, but really I could not be happier with this setup now! Thanks to Raj for the recommendation on this fan!

• 4 weeks later...

I just received my Supermicro CSE-M35... Damn these are tight and... LOUD! For the tightness, I was aware of but man these are so loud. I just ordered another fan because the noise the original Supermicro fan produces is just not human.

In fact for the tightness, it's just a case problem. My case has some rails for 5.25" device and it's these rails that prevent to perfectly fit the Supermicro. I just forced and it went in. Zalman's cages take the rails into their design, thus allowing them to fit nonetheless. However they're just 3in3.

I just received my Supermicro CSE-M35... Damn these are tight and... LOUD!

For another pleasant sound, try starting one up without the fan plugged in ;)

I might do this as well but don't have the courage to move the jumper right now. Moreover I think that stacking 5 HDD's in such a small place might generate important heat, so a fanless setup is not an option in the long run but I may be wrong. Is there someone here that runs 5in3 cages without fans? Is this a via viable option?

Is there someone here that runs 5in3 cages without fans? Is this a via viable option?

Yes, I run my iStarUSA cages with the fans removed.  They are much quieter this way, and the drive temperatures are exactly the same as with the fans installed.

Ambient temperature reaches 30+C

I just received my Supermicro CSE-M35... Damn these are tight and... LOUD! For the tightness, I was aware of but man these are so loud. I just ordered another fan because the noise the original Supermicro fan produces is just not human.

In fact for the tightness, it's just a case problem. My case has some rails for 5.25" device and it's these rails that prevent to perfectly fit the Supermicro. I just forced and it went in. Zalman's cages take the rails into their design, thus allowing them to fit nonetheless. However they're just 3in3.

Are these rails for 5,25" all the way from top to bottom or just in the upper compartment? How many cse-35t are you using in the ms-1000?

I'll remove the jumper and see how the drives react in terms of heat dissipation.

I'm just using one Supermicro cage atm but the goal is to get two more. I think there are rails from top to bottom. As I said, Zalman cages have some specific design which allows their installation despite the rails.