[Support] - Unifi-Controller: Unifi. Unraid. Reborn.

What's the repository tag?

or do I need to pull from the template on the community app store again?

Stable: 11notes/unifi:8.0.7-unraid

Old Stable: n/a - no old stable at this time.

Old Old Stable: 11notes/unifi:7.5.187-unraid

It's on the first post:

Edited by bmartino1
answered own question.
3 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

Please read page 1 and ask questions if you don’t understand. 

Suggestion: Edit the first post and add links to GitHub and dockerhub right at the top. I know the link for tags is contained in the post but putting both links right at the top really improves findability.

• Like 1

Appreciate all the work you have done. Tried messing with the linuxserver docker using mangodb and it was a complete mess. This template was comparatively a breeze to setup and get started. 

Good work! I will be following. Is there anywhere I can support you guys and buy you a beer?

6 hours ago, Qwenton said:

Appreciate all the work you have done. Tried messing with the linuxserver docker using mangodb and it was a complete mess. This template was comparatively a breeze to setup and get started. 

Good work! I will be following. Is there anywhere I can support you guys and buy you a beer?

If you donate to a charity that supports a good cause like children in Ukraine or just any cause you feel strongly about or just even to Unicef or some other organisation then you have done more than 99.99% of people and everyone can raise a beer to you for your generosity. 

• Like 1

Just updated to this Unifi Network Controller container.  Installed it and restored 8.0.7 backup file with no issues noted so far.  Thank you.  An all-in-one container is much preferred to the split docker container path LSIO has implemented.

Now the biggest question is how long Ubiquiti will support self-hosted controllers without severely limiting them.  They have taken the first step towards that with their latest hardware and controller releases.  It looks like they are going to start favoring their own hardware and cloud controller solutions for some advanced features and not supporting them with self-hosted controllers.  :(

Now to wait for the new UXG-Lite to come back in stock at ui.com so I can replace my very old USG router/gateway. The new Unifi Express (built in network controller) is not an option because it supports a maximum of five connected Unifi devices (access points, switches, other Express units in a mesh configuration, etc.) and I currently am managing eight (plus USG) with this controller.

NOTE: just learned the Unifi Express supports only four additional devices as the Express itself counts in the 5-device limit. 

Edited by Hoopster
27 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Now the biggest question is how long Ubiquiti will support self-hosted controllers without severely limiting them.  They have taken the first step towards that with their latest hardware and controller releases.  It looks like they are going to start favoring their own hardware and cloud controller solutions for some advanced features and not supporting them with self-hosted controllers.  :(

What features are missing? Personally would never change from opnsense to an inferior firewall so unclear what features are removed you are alluding to. 

1 minute ago, PeteAsking said:

What features are missing? Personally would never change from opnsense to an inferior firewall so unclear what features are removed you are alluding to. 

Unifi Teleport VPN and Site Magic for this round.  This is the first time a Unifi self-hosted controller has not been equal to one running on Ubiquiti hardware or their cloud controller.

"Teleport is a zero-configuration VPN that allows you to instantly connect to your UniFi network from a remote location. Users with a Next-Gen gateway or UniFi Cloud Gateway running UniFi OS can access it from Network Settings > Teleport & VPN."

Here is a quote from a recent review of the UXG-Lite that expresses some concern for where this may be headed:

It’s interesting these features are not supported on self-hosted UniFi Network application installs. It seems like an indication of where they are guiding their customers. The UniFi Network software has always been available for free, but this is the first time a feature line has been drawn between self-hosted and “officially” hosted. It’s possible that more features like this are added over time.

Essentially, for a few of the newest and fanciest features, self-hosted controllers aren’t included. These limitations make some sense, but calling it out on the spec sheet makes it feel like a purposeful design choice and business decision. Maybe there is a technical challenge I’m not seeing, but it feels like a subtle way to encourage hardware sales. At best, it is disappointing. At worst, it’s a sign that self-hosted controllers are becoming second class citizens.

• Like 1

Probably the vpn is established on the unifi router so understandable it would not exist if you dont have one.

I believe you cant use floor plan in the wifiman app if you dont have a unifi router so maybe this isnt the first time anyway. I wouldnt worry all that much about it. They are gimmicky features anyhow. 

Edited by PeteAsking
1 minute ago, PeteAsking said:

Probably the vpn is established on the unifi router so understandable it would not exist if you dont have one.

I believe you cant use floor plan in the wifiman app if you dont have a unifi router so maybe this isnt the first time anyway. I wouldnt worry all that much about it. They are gimmicky features anyhow. 

Yep.  The missing features on self-hosted controllers are of no concern to me now.  I just hope it does not become a trend with things I do want/need.

3 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Yep.  The missing features on self-hosted controllers are of no concern to me now.  I just hope it does not become a trend with things I do want/need.

If unifi go out their way to destroy their brand then the usual happens. Everyone just moves to another product when their devices eventually get too old and life goes on. We have seen this happen enough times to enough companies at this point to no longer need to worry. We know someone will eventually just make something better for free and screw the next big company over because we can and always will be able to. Thats why they resent us. Because we are just better than them. And we love it. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Thunder7ga said:

Tried this docker this morning, and it just works.   Thanks.

Yes, @PeteAsking has done a great job putting together this container.  No offense to him, but if he can make this all-in-one docker container which just works, why does LSIO feel they have to go the separate MongoDB route?  I am certainly pleased that someone stepped in to save us from that.

• Like 1