Tower cases with 5.25" drive bays top to bottom...

mr-hexen

I am getting ready to order the parts for my UnRAID build.  Does anyone know if there is a 5x3 cage that will fit the Zalman MS800 without modifying the case?  Or even another case that will support three 5x3 cages without modification?

Thanks!

There are no cases I know of that do not need modification to accept 5-in-3 cages.  4-in-3 cages will fit fine, but 5-in-3 will not.

What needs to be modified?

The tabs that are in the cage to hold a DVD/Blu Ray drive need to be bent/cut off

Makes sense, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Or a DREMEL!

I have the ms800 and its great apart from the amount of room behind the mobo tray for cables. This was the best i could do but I had to leave all data cables in the front 'front' as there was just not enough room. Oh well, makes maintenance easier. I have the norco 5in3 cages with aftermarket fans and drives temps are around 40c.

epu2e7ab.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ok...new to this forum. I plan to build my first server soon. First, some information on what I'm working with. I'm currently running a server of sorts. I have a Mac Mini with three 4-bay Drobos filled with 3TB drives. So from the start, I've got 12 drives. Because I'll need to get the data off of the Drobos, I plan to start my build with 4 drives, 1 parity + 3 data. After all of the data had been transferred, I'll have 16 drives. And if double parity is implemented in a future release, I'll either be adding another drive or using an existing drive.

I'm considering not using all of the drives and starting with the Rosewill RSV-L4500 for cost reasons. But I'm also considering the NORCO RPC-4220 for space reasons and because it seems to have quite a few fans for some good cooling potential.

After reading this thread, I've seen a few possibilities for some towers but they would require 4-in-3 or 5-in-3 cages. That's not out of the question but I have to wonder if it's worth it from a cost point of view. I'm not concerned with aesthetics. Most of the 5-in-3 cages seem to run about $100. I did find one for $40 but I it doesn't appear to have built in cooling so I have to imagine heat could be an issue, even with 5400 rpm drives.

Another thought would be to go with a big tower like the Antec Twelve Hundred V3. With 12 5.25" bays, I could go with 4 of the $40 cages. That would give me room for 20 drives for about $325 ($165 case + $160 cages). But with the Norco being about the same price, it seems to me (someone who's not built an unRaid server before) that I might be sacrificing cooling for aesthetics.

So, I ask the people more knowledgeable than I, and that's pretty much everyone on here, does it seem I'm on a good track with my case decisions? If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to make them. As I've said, I'm new to this and am open to any information anyone is willing to share.

I quite like those $40 cages.  Yes - you would need to add cooling, but on the plus side, you get to choose the fans.  Some cages come with fans that are either too small, or too noisy, or both.  By being able to choose you get to optimise the fan according to your needs and budget.  In addition, the fans look like they're relatively easy to fit and replace later if needed.  On the down side, you are responsible for all of the cabling to the drives, although I note that the seller that you linked to also sells some nice-looking power cables that span across five drives which would probably help.

If you know you are going to have that many hdds (which you are already using) AND you are able to go to a rackmount style case, I think its an easy decision.

I was trying to stay away from spending $200 on a 4u style case.

I just looked for a good deal on a midtower that would hold 6 hdds in normal bays, have at least 3 5.25"s to use for one 5-in-3 down the road, and came with a bunch of 120mm fans

(I found a nice lian-li that fit the bill on sale after rebate for like $37).

But if I knew (or in your case, already had) 12+ hdds, i'd be strongly considering something like the norco or the cheaper rosewill.

Just make sure you can get extra trays if you need them, it case any break/get damaged/etc down the road.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ooo that looks pretty good.

It's about 3.5" higher and 4.5" deeper than the TJ08, but considering the extra expansion it may be worth it (and I literally can't find anything else that's anywhere near the TJ08).

I actually came across the 600 but ruled it out because it's much bigger; I didn't realise the 900 would be smaller!

• 1 month later...

Just to let you guys that don't know computer forums with trading section are the best way to go on a buck. Grabbed a stacker 810 for $40 last year and a stacker 830 for $50. Starting my first build with a cm 430 elite because i can't afford cages for the cm 830 and my gaming rig is currently in it :(

Just wondering how many people out there are using a Lian Li PCA-95 full tower?

12 bays and looks like the dogs b*ll*x ....

Anyone able to say if they've changed the internals for 4x3 or 5x3 and how it manages all round ... thinking of moving up from my two HP microservers. Selling these will cover the cost of the Lian Li, approx £250 here in UK.

• 1 month later...

Just to let you guys that don't know computer forums with trading section are the best way to go on a buck. Grabbed a stacker 810 for $40 last year and a stacker 830 for $50. Starting my first build with a cm 430 elite because i can't afford cages for the cm 830 and my gaming rig is currently in it :(

Thanks! I'm about to list my CM Stacker 810 up for sale (I simply don't need this much space) along with all the HDD cages (three 3-in-2's).

• 3 weeks later...

I have a thermal take armor VA8000SWA, which has 11x5.25, so you have to get 3x 5x3 and single 3x2.

It also has the power supply turned on its side at the back, and it has 3 hard drives which can sit next to it.

So in theory you could get 21 drives in it, if fully populated

• 1 year later...

Ayone have any experience with this case....... Zalman MS-800

---> http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=747

Looks like a niec case with 5.25 bays top to bottom.

Kryspy

I dont know if anybody is still reading this thread but id like to add if you dont mind, i tried to Google this case to see if anybody did a build in it as it is a cheap case i was going to go with a fractal case because it had 8 bays but after reading peoples post i will buying the case and i will keep you all updated on a new thread for anybody who is interested I will document how my build goes with any other useful information, i will be buying the case at the end of the month im going to do some more research but will keep you all posted. Regards Callum

Kryspy

I dont know if anybody is still reading this thread but id like to add if you dont mind, i tried to Google this case to see if anybody did a build in it as it is a cheap case i was going to go with a fractal case because it had 8 bays but after reading peoples post i will buying the case and i will keep you all updated on a new thread for anybody who is interested I will document how my build goes with any other useful information, i will be buying the case at the end of the month im going to do some more research but will keep you all posted. Regards Callum

Callum I've never seen that post before but can confirm I've done a build in one of those with 3 x 5 bay hot swaps and 1 x 1 hot swaps for a total of 16 bays...

Worked well and I really liked the case although last week I did migrate it all to a new case with 18 x 5.25" bays.

The only thing you will need to know is that you'll need to flatten so the tabs in the stack so you can slide the bays in...

I used a deep throated C clamp that I bought from Amazon... note it does have to be the deep-throated sort to reach the tabs at the back of the case..

e6CzVnQ.jpg

Whereabouts are you in the world, because if you're anywhere near me my case is sitting around doing nothing.  I've lost all the front bezels when I moved house, but if you're sticking hot swap bays in they aren't needed anyway.

Kryspy

I have also bought the same case.  I am putting in the following

(a) 1x iStarUSA BPN-DE340SS  (can hold 4 x 3.5 drives)

(b) 1 x ICY DOCK MB974SP-2B (can hold 4 x 3.5 drives)

© 1 x ICY  DOCK MB994IPO-3SB (can hold 1 slim optical + 2 SSD )

I should have three 5.25 space left.  Will put in another 4-in-3 cage later for expansion.

I intended to go for 5-in-3 cages, but there are rails along the 5.25 drive bays in the case.  5-in-3 cages do not have the ditches and therefore cannot be used.  But anyway, my URAID licence allows 12 drives only, I might not need using 5-in-3 cages.

I attached a photo without © yet.

20160116_205603_HDR.jpg.09a8d67adb29c9d146c4dd2a88b4fd46.jpg

Most people press down those tabs using a clamp or dremel them away to fit 5-in-3 cages.

The dremel sends metal shards everywhere, risky with sensitive computer components around. Clamp method is safer, as well as faster and easier, with the right clamp.

I intended to go for 5-in-3 cages, but there are rails along the 5.25 drive bays in the case.  5-in-3 cages do not have the ditches and therefore cannot be used.  But anyway, my URAID licence allows 12 drives only, I might not need using 5-in-3 cages.

Yes they can, see my post above yours....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...