unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc6-r8168-test Available

You paid for 4.7 which still works properly, and does what it said it would when you bought it.  The updates are free, and if they take a long time to be released it doesn't hurt you as a consumer, as you already got what you paid for.  The license doesn't come with a promise that any updates will be made.

Don't tell me how I should feel.  I am simply stating my opinion that this man is dragging his feet on the update and while there might not have been a "promise" for version 5.0, it has  certainly been implied that the update is right around the corner for some time now.  I used to recommend this software, but I no longer am.  You may love it, but I no longer do.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we need is an update from Tom or Joe, so we know they are still alive and with us, even if there is nothing great to report right now.  Silence leads people to jump to conclusions, and those are normally not positive. 

I actually think v5 is very solid, and I've always received excellent support.  Perhaps they are just on vacation, which we all should do from time to time.

Tom - you still with us?

I have personally been pretty quiet about this because I have been giving Limetech the benefit of the doubt.  I put off my initial purchase of unraid for several months because I wanted to be able to use 2+TB drives in my array.  A little over a year ago, I bit the bullet and bought 2 of the pro licenses.  I figured that there were already several 5.0 betas and a final release was just around the corner.  Here we are a little over a year later and still waiting.  3TB drives are now returning to be more cost effective per TB than buying 2TB drives.  And no, I am not going to use a beta or RC for primary use, just like I wouldn't use a beta or RC of windows 8.  5.0beta 1 was released in July 2010.  It's been over 2 years.  I can only kid myself for so long without starting to think that this software is just going to fade away without support.  I'm beginning to think it is about time to find something else that offers better communication about the future of the platform.

You paid for 4.7 which still works properly, and does what it said it would when you bought it.  The updates are free, and if they take a long time to be released it doesn't hurt you as a consumer, as you already got what you paid for.  The license doesn't come with a promise that any updates will be made.

Actually, 4.7 has been found not to work properly which is why limetech promised to release 4.7.1.  Somehow this has been forgotten and we can't seem to get an official response.  The general consensus seems to be that it is not a priority as it will be replaced by version 5 anyway. 

Even overlooking this, when Limetech went quite for months just before his move, when he finally resurfaced he apologized and agreed that he needed to do better.  At the time this gave me a lot of faith and for a while things did improve.  But I have been using Unraid for less then 2 years.....  I'm sure some of the people who have been experiencing this pattern since the earlier versions were less convinced.....

I have personally been pretty quiet about this because I have been giving Limetech the benefit of the doubt.  I put off my initial purchase of unraid for several months because I wanted to be able to use 2+TB drives in my array.  A little over a year ago, I bit the bullet and bought 2 of the pro licenses.  I figured that there were already several 5.0 betas and a final release was just around the corner.  Here we are a little over a year later and still waiting.  3TB drives are now returning to be more cost effective per TB than buying 2TB drives.  And no, I am not going to use a beta or RC for primary use, just like I wouldn't use a beta or RC of windows 8.  5.0beta 1 was released in July 2010.  It's been over 2 years.  I can only kid myself for so long without starting to think that this software is just going to fade away without support.  I'm beginning to think it is about time to find something else that offers better communication about the future of the platform.

Actually, 4.7 has been found not to work properly which is why limetech promised to release 4.7.1.  Somehow this has been forgotten and we can't seem to get an official response.  The general consensus seems to be that it is not a priority as it will be replaced by version 5 anyway. 

Even overlooking this, when Limetech went quite for months just before his move, when he finally resurfaced he apologized and agreed that he needed to do better.  At the time this gave me a lot of faith and for a while things did improve.  But I have been using Unraid for less then 2 years.....  I'm sure some of the people who have been experiencing this pattern since the earlier versions were less convinced.....

I agree, after that post i was very hopeful communication would open up a little more. I am at the point where I am going to have to either A) Upgrade my Plus license to a Pro License in order to add another drive as I am almost out of space, or B) Go with a different product. I mean unraid is great, i do not even know if there is anything better out there, but the lack of any updates/communication makes me very leery to spend money to upgrade my license. All that being said i love unRAID and could not imagine what i would do with all my data without it.

I am not going to use a beta or RC for primary use

That's your decision!  Many of us are enjoying all the benefits of the v5 features (I've been running it on my live server since beta3 - or 4, I forget now).

If you'd rather wait, then do so.  Those who have been around here much longer than I, have learned that Tom's priorities sometimes divert his attention away from unRAID, but he always comes back and completes the task.

If you find a solution that meets your needs and expectations better than unRAID can, then it's your choice - stick with wait you paid for, or change platform.

The Limetech user profile on these forums always appears to be active and up to date like Tom or whoever uses the profile is always reading posts, but not responding to them. This is even worse than silence if this is what is happening.

I agree with the above posts, I bought a licence for 4.7 which is broke and not fit for purpose. This hasn't been fixed due to the focus for getting 5 final, which we as consumers have been supportive and understanding on, in order to allow the best opportunity for 5 to obtain final status. Lets see some comms about it please asap. Limetech you are just frustrating your user base and letting your product rot with this silence and lack of support. Be honest, if you can't support it and have no more time for it, tell us, atleast then we would know.

People can always look at flexraid, Windows Home Server, NAS, Other Linux solutions. Unraid was special because it had support and a thriving community. This factor seems to have dropped to the point where unraid does not look so special now. This is a product we have paid for at the end of the day and put a lot of faith into. Either fix 4.7 or get 5 final. Patience if wearing thin now for too many people.

Your silence on this (again) is so unprofessional. The last post from you was over a month ago. If you are taking vacation atleast tell us there will be no support for a month surely?

This forum is a mess as stated above. It needs sorting out for tracking issues vs each different RC discussion as well.

There are some other forums I frequent where I used to defend unraid and recommend it. Now I simply can't do that, because there simply is not a single version of unraid that is properly finished and live.

People can always look at flexraid, Windows Home Server, NAS, Other Linux solutions. Unraid was special because it had support and a thriving community. This factor seems to have dropped to the point where unraid does not look so special now. This is a product we have paid for at the end of the day and put a lot of faith into. Either fix 4.7 or get 5 final. Patience if wearing thin now for too many people.

Please show me a competing product with real-time protection, different size disks and normal filesystems per disk if manual recovery is needed. Only WHS 1.0 had this option, switched to unraid because it had the same combination of features.

Been running 4.7 without problems for 2 years, very satisfied, been running 5rc6 for 2 months now and apart from the slow speed on my system it's working fine as well. Of course I would like to see a final (with speed issues fixed), but I'm a happy unraid user regardless of everything which is "wrong" with the current state.

Please show me a competing product with real-time protection, different size disks and normal filesystems per disk if manual recovery is needed. Only WHS 1.0 had this option, switched to unraid because it had the same combination of features.

Been running 4.7 without problems for 2 years, very satisfied, been running 5rc6 for 2 months now and apart from the slow speed on my system it's working fine as well. Of course I would like to see a final (with speed issues fixed), but I'm a happy unraid user regardless of everything which is "wrong" with the current state.

I didn't say any of the competing products were better. I said that we can always look at them because they have better (any) support. I don't care that you have been running a broken product or a beta product for X amount of time. What relevance does that have? 4.7 has a major issue and all of the 5 versions are betas with issues. Doesn't matter if anyone has been using them or not, neither is a final product (which we have paid for).

I didn't say any of the competing products were better. I said that we can always look at them because they have better (any) support. I don't care that you have been running a broken product or a beta product for X amount of time. What relevance does that have? 4.7 has a major issue and all of the 5 versions are betas with issues. Doesn't matter if anyone has been using them or not, neither is a final product (which we have paid for).

4.7 does not have a major issue. There is a certain race condition which means during a data/parity rebuild while writing the exact same sector the parity for that sector will be wrong. A new parity check will fix it, but the condition is rare. That's why a large number of people have been running the 4.7 release for years without problems. Of course it should be fixed, but I would place a bet any software you're running contains bugs which in certain situations might cause problems.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=18512.msg167932#msg167932

All this negativity is avoidable.  If upon initial requests for an update, some information was provided, Tom would be celebrated as a hero.

Instead, some once advocates, are no more.

I personally don't get it, because a post that takes easily under 5 minutes could generate an immense amount goodwill and avoid all this crap.  As I said - I don't get it; I like it when people pepper me with hero-worship.  :)

Please show me a competing product with real-time protection, different size disks and normal filesystems per disk if manual recovery is needed.

Flexraid.

Whether you think it's any good or not is another question - but it has the features you list above.

The big thing it's missing over unraid is 'transparent' access to data when a disk is failed. You'll be missing that data until you replace the disk and rebuild whereas unraid will virtually reconstruct it for you to use in the meantime.

Please show me a competing product with real-time protection, different size disks and normal filesystems per disk if manual recovery is needed.

Flexraid.

Whether you think it's any good or not is another question - but it has the features you list above.

The big thing it's missing over unraid is 'transparent' access to data when a disk is failed. You'll be missing that data until you replace the disk and rebuild whereas unraid will virtually reconstruct it for you to use in the meantime.

Ironically, when I stopped using WHS v1 I chose between FlexRaid and unRaid. I chose unRAID because the flexraid developer went missing for more than a year ;) and flexraid did not have any user community at the time.

I am having speed issues too. Is there a way to update the Kernel ourselves?

Yes. Many of us have been doing so by running unRAID in a full Slackware distro installation or even running unRAID on 64bit Slackware. You can also take other steps to merely update the kernel inside the usb-boot unRAID distro. All this has been documented in the wiki section for years.

Also, all of this along with the petty bickering is off-topic. This thread needs to be moderated so all this discussion can be moved to a different thread so this one can remain focused on the results of the Realtec NIC build. Any moderator up to the task?

Ironically, when I stopped using WHS v1 I chose between FlexRaid and unRaid. I chose unRAID because the flexraid developer went missing for more than a year ;) and flexraid did not have any user community at the time.

Snap. I also did this! Unraid looked to be thriving and an awesome community with a very active forum and vast development.

Now..... stagnated.

Also for those suggesting "bickering" about Limtech is off topic. Where is an appropriate place to post on these forums our thoughts as to the lack of interest from Limetech then? Please let me know and I will open a dedicated thread. Here seemed to be the main thread to discuss the staus of 5 final. Trying to protect Limetech by harping on about it being "off topic" is really cheap.

Snap. I also did this! Unraid looked to be thriving and an awesome community with a very active forum and vast development.

Now..... stagnated.

Also for those suggesting "bickering" about Limtech is off topic. Where is an appropriate place to post on these forums our thoughts as to the lack of interest from Limetech then? Please let me know and I will open a dedicated thread. Here seemed to be the main thread to discuss the staus of 5 final. Trying to protect Limetech by harping on about it being "off topic" is really cheap.

Try the Lounge forum that would be appropriate.

Please note the title of this thread.  As BobPhoenix noted, the Lounge would be much more appropriate.

Tom,

Its a very good idea if you say something on the forums. Even a very short sentence will do!

Pras

On 9 September 2012 18:21, Tom Mortensen <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Pras,

I’m preparing a new rack mount product release which has consumed all my time.  I’ll be back to the forum soon.

Cheers,

Tom

From

Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2012 2:44 AM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Where are you Tom?

Hi Tom,

People are missing you over at the forums.

Pras