unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc8a Available

limetech

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want to upgrade to RC8a coming from beta12a. I was told and read in this thread that Samba is broken in this release. What is the correct way to upgrade Samba? Is there gonna be a RC9 with fixed Samba?

What broken?

Then how do I access it?

Maybe not entirely broken, but there seems to be something wrong with it. See earlier in this thread, some users are upgrading Samba to 3.6.8.

did limetech disappear again? keep checking back and looking for a new rc (or a final??), but it seems there hasn't been much recently.

rc8 is running well for me:

root@unraid:/mnt/cache# uptime
20:52:26 up 63 days, 7 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.57, 1.02, 1.15

i have noticed a few permissions errors here and there with SMB, but nothing that running the permissions script couldn't fix. parity checks also seems to have slowed from earlier releases, but since I run them at night, not too much of an issue.

looking forward to 5.0-final!!

Anybody else experiencing web interface timeouts with this rc? Is this a known problem with this release? Happens on both of my unRAID systems.

The web interface becomes unreachable though shares are functional. It seems to happen after/during a parity-check/rebuild.

Yes, me.  I have had it running stable for months, but today I had a disk disabled, so I rebooted the server to check and it was still disabled.  So I slapped in another 3tb spare and started a rebuild.  This resulted in the interface being unavailable.  I can putty in, and I can still access the Samba shares, but not the web interface or unmenu.  First time this has happened in many parity checks.  First rebuild done on rc8a though.....

I'm having the same problems. The web gui dies what seems randomly. I can access it for a week, or only a few days. Need to reboot to get it back. Running stock unRAID rc8a.

Do you see anything (out of memory) in the syslog?

Are you running simplefeatures? webserver? any other plugins?

I'm having the same problems. The web gui dies what seems randomly. I can access it for a week, or only a few days. Need to reboot to get it back. Running stock unRAID rc8a.

Do you see anything (out of memory) in the syslog?

Are you running simplefeatures? webserver? any other plugins?

I have been running VMTools and shutdown script but that's it. I have removed all plugins now to see if it helps. No error messages or OOMs.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

A better question, I think, is why?  If 4.0 is stable, why stick with 3.6.10?

Because any software when first released or subject to a major update may have issues that take a while to be found out.  Samba is no different.  3.6.10 is the result of many small incremental updates, any new bugs are likely to be much less significant.  unRAID and Samba 3.x.x are a pretty well tested combination.  unRAID and 4.x could potentially be very disruptive.

There's an old saying - never buy version 1.0 of anything.  That same philosophy can also be applied to version any.0

I would make an exception for unRAID - we have had 5.0.xxx for so long and with so many using it that it's basic stability is more than satisfactory.

I agree.  When the safety of terabytes of data are involved, there's no reason to risk incorporating something, just because someone else says it's "stable" 

However, I [will] add my voice to those asking "when" [will the next version be released.]  I'm still running beta3....having waited patiently through, I think, 20-something intermediate releases.  After seeing the reports of samba problems, I've held out on upgrading to this release- since practically ALL of my usage involves samba shares....

So- here I stay....my only plugins; the APC and clean shutdown plugins.  I miss unMenu, having disabled it about a year ago at Tom's request during troubleshooting.  I've waited through 20+ releases.  My server is stable.  It has its quirks, but I trust it.

Plugin developers have moved on- with support for my release dwindling.  I practically can't ask for help in the forums- everyone's knee-jerk reaction will be to tell me to upgrade first, then come back.  I'm sorry, but when it's terabytes of MY data that's at-stake, I'm not likely to try something- especially when it involves jumping to a version whose current users are actively reporting problems with a component that would certainly impact ME.  This does leave me feeling a bit abandoned. 

Yes, but since a new, untested version is being adopted, it seems one called "stable" is as good or better than one that isn't.  3.6.7 doesn't seem to work properly, 3.6.8 seems to work fine for many, but we're getting 3.6.10, which is probably only being tested by one person, so why not 4.0, which is at least considered stable by the creators.  I don't believe they consider 3.6.10 stable, so it just seems a weird decision.

However, considering how long it may take for any new unRAID version to actually become available, who knows what it will actually contain, or which version of SAMBA will be 'stable' at that time?

I just noticed that when doing a Shutdown, I see a message on my server screen that says ...something about not saving the Syslog file, then I see ...Consider installing Automatically zip Syslog...and then it goes by so fast I can't see exactly what is causing this message.

Is there a add-on or something that should be in my GO file to tell it to zip the current Syslog?

I'm also curious to see what others have in their GO file.  Mine is very small, just starts the webgui and installs the new Samba, that's it.

Anyone?

I've been running 5.0 beta12a for at least a year.  It seems like the LSI bug has been fixed, so is there any reason I should or should not try upgrading to a more recent version? (I boot off an SD card in a USB adapter, so upgrading / downgrading is pretty easy.)  All my server does is share files using Samba, so no plugins or anything to worry about.

Yes, also looking forward to the next release. Seems to me a nice Christmas gift of Limetech. I'm not running a unRAID server at the moment so i'm a bit struggling with my storage (redundant).I think this is a nice project for the holidays.

A question for Tom/Limetech will this release included the plugin manager?

Talking about Samba. Version 4.0 was declared stable today.

Is there a possibility to get an update for unRaid?

I compiled samba version 4, if some one will try.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46562247/samba-4.0.0-i486-1.txz

You may have to install PAM as well.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46562247/pam-1.1.3-i486-1.txz

//Peter

cool, thanks.  I may give it a try.  I want to read up on what has changed first, as I'm having no issues at all with 3.6.8.

What is PAM why would be necessary to install it?