What do you want in a custom unRAID package (BubbaRaid)

3. You are really fine with almost the smallest out there.

It seems to me that there is one caveat to that statement. I, for one, want my UPS to do two things for me: protect against brief absences of electricity and cleanly shut down the server in case of sustained absence of electricity. For the former, a small UPS is adequate. For the latter, it is less clear. Typically, shut down is triggered by the UPS in response to the battery level dropping below a certain level, either percentage-wise or in terms of projected remaining time. The problem here is that an unRAID server typically will have lots of drives that are spun down and clean shut-down requires all of them to spin up. That means you need to balance the length of time you allow your UPS to keep your server alive and how safe you want to be that there is enough power left to shut it down. For small UPSs that balance can be difficult to find.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Firstly, thanks to Bubba for getting this all working and improving it quite substantially (I'm talking specifically about the BubbaRAID upgrade and slimserver processes here).  Slimserver is now working great, although as someone else noted, I needed to chmod 777 my music directory before it could be found.

I've got a couple of simple questions:-

1.  How can I configure what apps are started with BubbaRAID?  For example, slimserver I want to run at startup, but I don't need nzbget (what's this for anway??).

2.  The powerdown process.  Am I right in thinking that the powerdown script handles the stopping of apps?  So a simple 'powerdown' from a putty session will close everything down nice and safely.  For me the power button shut down hook also works, is easy enough for me to modify a script to add this feature back in?

Many thanks once again.

Matt.

How can I configure what apps are started with BubbaRAID?

Look in /boot/bubba/rc.bubba.  In a future version, I will have a wizard that lets you chose which apps to autostart through the browser.

So a simple 'powerdown' from a putty session will close everything down nice and safely.

Yup... including the BubbaRaid apps.

Personally, I'm a bit caution and still prefer to "stop apps" in BubbaRaid, and then go to unRAID management and do the final stop/shutdown in unRAID.... but that's just me.

As for UPS, I had a little Back-UPS 280 on my 8-drive unRAID server for several months, that did just fine.  It would give an overcurrent alarm when booting for a slpit second, but ran the server through several short power outages.  I would recommend going THAT small for a permanent UPS, but you don't need a big honker either.

<sigh> That won't be enough.

When you copy files to unRAID using a Samba share, the default permissions are 711... which means only root can read them.  See this thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3138.0

Slimserver runs as it's own user (slimserver) so it can not read your files.  Go to the directory where your MP3 files are stored, and run this command

chmod +r * -R

to make your files readable by all users.

Ok

I change de chmod on the /mnt/disk1/music in 777 and I see the directory on the slimverver  ;D

and Squeezcenter see my MP3

perfect.

bubba you are a "God" tank so much !

Is very fantastic.... It's work perfectly (I think)

My Squeezbox 2 is connect on my bubbaRaid and I see all my collection !

I will shake your hand Bubba I'm so happy!

Tank you very very much Bubba !

BubbaRaid Version 0.0.19 is now posted.

This version adds:

- the scripts in apcupsd now call /sbin/powerdown to do a clean unRAID shutdown.

- smarthistory is now included, and alerts will show in the BubbaRaid home page (smarthistory lives on the flash in /boot/smarthistory_

Link is in OP.

This version also has a more intelligent online updater.  BubbaRaid consists of two parts... the kernel/initramfs (which is big 90MB) and the BubbaRaid "portal" and files on the flash (which is small (2MB).  Because the upgrade from 0.0.18 to 0.0.19 is only in the portal and flash files, the download is very small for people using the onlin upgrade in 0.0.18.

BubbaRAID as is now, can be very easily proposed as an addition to the (semi)newbie that expected more features from his unRAID box.

- Has UPS support (at least for APC - currently) ...that unRAID ***SHOULD*** have

- Has U-Notify ...that unRAID ***MUST HAVE*** had

- Has the SMART health thingy he made ...and unRAID should have something similar already

- Has sysinfo which is great to know where you stand (plus it shows you locked files to further help you with this)

- Has hassle free upgrades (which unRAID could have) ...I hope Bubba will add some scheduling to this too

- Has a way to make a clean console shutdown ...which ***SHOULD*** be in unRAID

In addition:

- Has Torrent support (which is always welcome and has allowed many of us to have one less computer switched off)

- Has NZBGet (not my ball game but I understand the funs)

- Has a well known audio streaming solution (pending an overall media streaming solution - which is something people appreciate and most WILL make use of)

- Has a small web server that could be made of use in a little home-intranet

...now I am missing:

- security for bubbaRAID pages,

- a simple way to export syslog (by just pressing a button),

- a way to configure which services startup and which do not,

- CPU throttling,

- online health measures based on the sensors,

- the media streaming we talked above,

- unMENU integration (because it also "rulez"),

- a way to easily upgrade unRAID too (!) along with BubbaRAID

- ...and in the end, a web portal cleanup (which could be done by someone that really knows how to make web pages).

In any case I even before all that I am missing (which is just my personal unRAID Utopia), I 100% support that people add BubbaRAID in their unRAID even if they don't plan to use all the services.

Doesn't in PRACTICE raise the overhead in any measurable way, but does bring unRAID closer to competition. unRAID is commercial product let's not forget. Tom has had the fantastic idea of that "unique" RAID functionality (or "JBOD with Parity" if you ask me), but this shouldn't be the only selling point (because it currently IS the only selling point), whereas other solutions give you Everything In A Box.

Hope BubbaQ keeps going strong with this - we love it.

can't agree anymore with NLS, bubba with UNraid makes for a fantastic little server.

a few suggestions for Bubba if i may add...

1) Media streaming... i think you're planning on using Link? can anyone point to some documentation about this service?

2) SSL/SSH? sorry haven't read all 30 pages in this thread... any reason why this still hasn't been included?

3) DenyHosts... a python script that traverses your syslog and looks for multiple ssh login attempts and adds the ip to your hosts.deny file.  I know the obvious solution is to block ports that are scanned most often, but I like to have these ports open and I like ssh/ftp access from where ever i go.

Thanks Bubba and everyone else, keep up the good work.

Munky

LLINK:  (note 2 L's)

http://www.lundman.net/wiki/index.php/Llink

So far, I have not been able to get a SEAMLESS (highest im[importance) build of SSH working on BubbaRaid.  Until it is seamless and has no negative effects on regular telnet on port 23, I am not including it.  I hope to add it in the future, but it will not bee soon.

BubbaRaid is for the novice.  In order to have a LAN and use a server, you need a switch, which means your LAN has to have a router to get tot he Internet, which means it is not exposed to the internet.  Your security is in the router.

If you do wireless, your security is again, in your router.

If you are talented enough to open up your router to the outside, and get back to unRAID from the Internet, you aren't a novice.  If you open it up, you will need to deal with security applications yourself.  That is far beyond the scope of BubbaRaid.

I am not putting Python on BubbaRaid!  You have php, perl, and a web server. 

As for security on the unRAID interface, as I posted before, all you have to do is out a passwd on root.... but you will have to do it after every reboot.