What do you want in a custom unRAID package (BubbaRaid)

bubbaQ

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I switched to a different flash drive and now all is well so far. I completed the upgrade to .21. Maybe now I finally have a stable bubbaRAID. Thanks for hanging in there with me fellas. I can honestly say I did learn something along the way. Who knows...maybe I'll even work my way up to a linux noob soon.

nice work on the new version! looks great!

quick question...what is the SMART monitor?

It keeps saying this for my drives:

Disk 1: *ERROR* - ATA_Error_Count has increased from (no data) to 8 since (no data)
Disk 1: WARNING - Reallocated_Sector_Ct has increased from (no data) to 1 since (no data)
5 device(s) active, 0 sleeping, 1 did not return SMART data.

any idea what i can do about this?

nice work on the new version! looks great!

quick question...what is the SMART monitor?

It keeps saying this for my drives:

Disk 1: *ERROR* - ATA_Error_Count has increased from (no data) to 8 since (no data)
Disk 1: WARNING - Reallocated_Sector_Ct has increased from (no data) to 1 since (no data)
5 device(s) active, 0 sleeping, 1 did not return SMART data.

any idea what i can do about this?

The answer to your quesitons can be found here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3146.0

It is a new program created by bubbaQ for monitoring your hard drives and displaying trends over a period of time based on collect smart reports.  You will find out much more about the program in the link I provided.

Cheers,

Matt

First Bubba thanks for all the work you have done here, it really is great.

I am getting an error in my syslog and trying to track down its origin.  I have attached the syslog so you can get the full context but:

"Jan 28 14:21:47 Tower kernel: EXT3-fs warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended"

A post by Rob J in another thread while searching for the issue pointed me in the direction of BubbaRaid as unRAID does not use ext3.

Any ideas what caused this, whether it is serious and whether I should do anything about it?

Many thanks

Ian

@assassinmunky:

Those are normal messages from Smart History when it is first installed.  As your system collects more data on the drive parameters every day, those messages will become more meaningful.

@IG82:

Yes, BubbaRaid does have an ext3 partition for the BubbaRaid portal on the flash.  To check it, do this:

umount /boot/bubba/portal/bubba_portal.fs -l
e2fsck /boot/bubba/portal/bubba_portal.fs -p
mount /boot/bubba/portal/bubba_portal.fs /var/www -o loop

@IG82:

Yes, BubbaRaid does have an ext3 partition for the BubbaRaid portal on the flash.  To check it, do this:

umount /boot/bubba/portal/bubba_portal.fs -l
e2fsck /boot/bubba/portal/bubba_portal.fs -p
mount /boot/bubba/portal/bubba_portal.fs /var/www -o loop

Great, thanks Bubba.

Ran those commands, sounds like it was due to a forced unmount?  Checking the syslog afterwards everything looks good, no errors when mounting this time.  Will check next time I reboot though.

Cheers

Ian

Sorry to drag this up again - but can someone explain to me the situation with Slimserver and file permissions.

Let me be clear, slimserver works fine now that I have changed my music folder to 777 (chmod 777 Music -R). 

However, when I try to view the contents of a folder within Music - using windows explorer - I can't see any files (although all directories are there).  Now the files are definitely there, so it's definitely a permissions issue since they are viewable when the permissions aren't 777.  Is this a Samba issue?

Slimserver needs it's own user, so I used: chmod +r * -R to make all files readable by all users (effectively 744 yeah?) - this didn't work for me. 

I don't understand how a file can be read/write/execute by all users/groups/world and I can't see the files in Windows explorer, but when I lower the permissions, say to 755, they show up (but then slimserver can't find the files).

I'm lost, can anyone help or have I misunderstood the unix file prermissions priniciples?

Cheers, Matt.

Oops -- I think I messed up.  I tried to run the enable batch script while the flash drive was still in the unRAID box.  Then when it wouldn't install I pulled the card and ran it directly from my windows laptop.  Everything said Success but when I went to boot the server came back with DISK BOOT FAILURE - INSERT SYSTEM DISK.  When I look at my Go script all the stuff in there is gone.  Same with the Go.original in the bubba directory.  I have to assume that my Syslinux.cfg is gone also. 

I have some older backups of my flash -- but they are inaccessible because they are stored on the downed server (that needs some re-thinking).

I've taken my flash back out of the server, put it back into my laptop and disabled bubba from the batch file.  Still won't boot.

Do I need to reformat, rebuild and flash my boot flash drive?  Will my configurations (vmware, still be intact on my card?  I guess I have to save them off somehow.  How much trouble do you think I'm in and what are the best suggestions for getting back to where I was.

Thanks very much.

OMG -- I'm such a rookie.  First I should have backed up my flash before trying ANYTHING including enabling BubbaRaid.  Then when my flash wouldn't boot I should have immediately checked the BIOS settings.  Somehow they changed when i enabled BubbaRaid.  That's all I needed to do (change the boot order in the BIOS).  Before I figured it out I reformatted my flash and re-installed everything.  Oh well, I'm back and running again pretty much where I left off.  All I can say is that I learned a few good fundamental lessons.  No more late night shortcuts. 

I'd like community's help on a current issue with rtorrent/wtorrent in bubbaRAID.

bubba cannot help right now, so maybe we can help him, help us (whoever uses bubbaRAID for torrents)...

It is already clear that rtorrent/wtorrent will only work with disk shares not user shares. In fact even if they did support user shares, at least for me it is much slower that I don't bother (I only use user shares for reading)... anyway the issue I have (and please test yourselves, you probably also have it).

Facts:

- rtorrent's is the only configuration we can edit through web bubbaRAID... not wtorrent's

- rtorrent's default path is set to be somewhere on disk1 (I think /mnt/disk1/torrents/downloading)

- rtorrent's console interface is difficult to use with bubbaRAID default console setup as you cannot press ctrl characters (intercepted by shell) ...this can be fixed, but fixing this takes us away from the usability bonus we get with using bubbaRAID

What I have done (my case):

My torrents were initially on one disk, but after some time, I had to use another (the luxury of having unRAID) and in fact after a while even started using couple of torrents seeding from their "resting place" (i.e. NOT in a torrent folder, but from where I actually also use the contents). This was no problem while I was using a Windows client, as you could individually set your torrent download folder and then it stayed there, seeding fine.

...and what problem I have:

My original torrent folder is in disk7, in fact it is in the path //mnt/disk7/P2P/

I've set this successfully in rtorrent.rc and after some rtorrent tweaking I could see my already complete torrents and seed them. Of course only those that are in THIS location.

Through rtorrent I couldn't make it look to my other disks (/mnt/disk1/P2P plus a couple of "original locations" in other disks) to seed the rest of my torrents.

Same through wtorrent.

But here things are getting more complex AND problematic...

You see, if I go to wtorrent's "add torrent", I see the ORIGINAL path /mnt/disk1/torrents/downloading! That means that it is hard-coded and doesn't use rtorrent's set path (makes sense since wtorrent has a different config file and I am not sure if there is a setting "use rtorrent's path").

You want to make this funny? Even though the path SHOWN in wtorrent is /mnt/disk1/torrents/downloading IT DOESN'T USE IT and NO OTHER PATH works except... you guessed it? rtorrent's set path! (i.e. in my case /mnt/disk7/P2P/)

So I have these problems with the current setup:

- wtorrent shows a false folder

- wtorrent uses rtorrent folder anyway

- I cannot use ANY other path (why does it allow my to chose one then?)

...so to spell it even more clear:

- wtorrent needs to show the same folder as rtorrent (until we are "allowed" to edit it's conf file in bubbaRAID as with rtorrent)

- wtorrent should follow the folder SHOWN

- we should be able to edit this path in "add torrent" and wtorrent SHOULD follow it

Ideas?

So I have these problems with the current setup:

- wtorrent shows a false folder

- wtorrent uses rtorrent folder anyway

- I cannot use ANY other path (why does it allow my to chose one then?)

...so to spell it even more clear:

- wtorrent needs to show the same folder as rtorrent (until we are "allowed" to edit it's conf file in bubbaRAID as with rtorrent)

- wtorrent should follow the folder SHOWN

- we should be able to edit this path in "add torrent" and wtorrent SHOULD follow it

Ideas?

Perhaps a later version of wtorrent is needed.

I believe, that rtorrent can seed from any directory as long as you do not have it auto start.

It has to be done from the console.

Press enter to get the load> prompt.

Navigate to the .torrent file.

After it is loaded, Select it using the up/down arrow. I think you have to press CTRL-O to set the directory.

Then ctrl-s to start it. (I believe once it is loaded, you can start it from wtorrent).

As I told you earlier, just EDIT the damn config for wtorrent ... it is on the flash in /boot/bubba/wtorrent/conf/user.conf.php

All versions of wtorrent have this issue... it is crap, but that's a;; there is, other than those listed on the rTorrent distro site.

Archived