unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc12 Available

Limetech's biggest failing isn't anything to with the product, it's clear consistent communication. We get short periods of  good support and feedback about product development and then months of nothing. I have no doubt that Tom is working hard in the background. But, Unraid users and potential users rely heavily on our forums for answers to their questions. When none of our Forum veteran's and expert users seem to know the product direction it does not bode well.

The second thing I would change (that has caused significant  frustration) is the release schedule,The bottom line is that it needs to be more regular and more predictable. As great as some of these shiny new features may be I don't want them if it means being in a perpetual Beta/RC cycle.

I expect that many will be placated when R5 final comes out but let's not fall back into the cycle of delight to disappointment. I know this can be addressed through improved  communication and better release management. Limetech's incentive for doing this better is organic business growth through word of mouth. It not the technically superior product that achieves the best commercial success it the one with the best overall reputation. For many that reputation can be damaged with a low score card on the above issues. I remain optimistic that this can change for the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely agree ==> I've noted MANY times that the #1 "problem" with UnRAID development isn't the time it's taking, but the virtually complete lack of STATUS.  A simple "Status" thread that only Tom could add to, updated once/week with a brief note that shouldn't take more than a minute or two to write, would go a LONG way towards placating those waiting for the next release.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From my time on this forum and over the passed year it has become clear that unraid is not toms priority or main project, it is something that is a side project. I have received what i paid for, but i cannot say i would recommend unraid to others or start installing it in customers homes. because its not a great product? No, its because it lacks support from the project lead. We are the community that supports tom, we finance him, we provide monetary motivation for the project and as the community has asked and asked again and again for bi-weekly or even monthly updates and tom bluntly ignores them.

So clearly he doesn't really care much about the community that supports him and that is not something i want to invest any more money into.

tom, it takes less than 20 seconds to post "sorry guys, no news this week" once a week and it would keep a lot of users  happy

Beating a dead horse ==> Status updates are clearly NOT going to happen.  Just be patient ... v5 "Final" WILL be here in due course !!

tom, it takes less than 20 seconds to post "sorry guys, no news this week" once a week and it would keep a lot of users  happy

Beating a dead horse ==> Status updates are clearly NOT going to happen.  Just be patient ... v5 "Final" WILL be here in due course !!

Who on earth are U? Be patient? Who are u to tell anyone anything and make promises. I have been waiting 2 years and I sure in hell don't need someone like u stating be patient and make false statement like you do. The core product is not fine and it's not just plugins as u state. U clearly are blind and deaf. Your tossing so much salad all over the forums it's sick'ing.

Your like the entertainment while Tom is out, but your act is horrible, do u see the tomatoes flying?

Meanwhile Tom IS losing orders AND credibility over his silence.

Maybe not a lot of customers - but maybe.

Because there are a lot of people that were once strong advocates that are now disappointed that the simplest of requests (keeping the community informed) is just ignored.  And those once advocates are not likely praising it elsewhere - meanwhile FlexRaid starts being aggressive with updates.

(From what I recall that is - I have no intention on switching to FlexRaid, but I have no intention at this point of being a salesperson for Unraid)

Be patient?    ... I have been waiting 2 years and I sure in hell don't need someone like u stating be patient and make false statement like you do. The core product is not fine ...

We've ALL been "waiting 2 years".  I don't like the lack of status any more than anyone else does ... but it's a simple fact of life.    No reason to get an ulcer over those things we can't control.

As for whether or not the core product is fine ... I suppose that's a matter of debate;  but both of my UnRAID servers have been rock solid ... my v4.7 system has been booted 3 times since I upgraded to 4.7 about 28 months ago -- it only gets shut down when the APC package shuts it down due to an extended power failure;  my v5 system has only been booted each time I either added a disk or upgraded the version.  NO other issues with either one -- EVER.  But they're "stock" systems with no add-on apps except UnMenu for the CleanPowerDown and APC packages.    I've got a friend who's been lucky enough to have NO power outages longer than 5-10 minutes for over 3 years (knock on wood) ... his v4.7 system currently has over 850 days of Uptime -- I don't know about you, but that sure sounds "fine" to me !!

I am NOT an advocate for UnRAID => I DO think it's a very stable product as long as you're just using the core functionality;  but I can think of NO reason why Tom is so utterly silent with regard to status info.  I am a satisfied user of the product; but certainly NOT satisfied with Tom's attitude towards status information.  But there's no reason to get an ulcer over it ... just remember the Serenity Prayer:  ".. God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, ..."

Meanwhile Tom IS losing orders AND credibility over his silence.

I'm sure he is indeed losing orders.  Would YOU buy one of the nifty new servers on the web page at this point, given the complete lack of v5 status info?

I have no intention on switching to FlexRaid, but I have no intention at this point of being a salesperson for Unraid

My thoughts exactly.

Be patient?    ... I have been waiting 2 years and I sure in hell don't need someone like u stating be patient and make false statement like you do. The core product is not fine ...

We've ALL been "waiting 2 years".  I don't like the lack of status any more than anyone else does ... but it's a simple fact of life.    No reason to get an ulcer over those things we can't control.

As for whether or not the core product is fine ... I suppose that's a matter of debate;  but both of my UnRAID servers have been rock solid ... my v4.7 system has been booted 3 times since I upgraded to 4.7 about 28 months ago -- it only gets shut down when the APC package shuts it down due to an extended power failure;  my v5 system has only been booted each time I either added a disk or upgraded the version.  NO other issues with either one -- EVER.  But they're "stock" systems with no add-on apps except UnMenu for the CleanPowerDown and APC packages.    I've got a friend who's been lucky enough to have NO power outages longer than 5-10 minutes for over 3 years (knock on wood) ... his v4.7 system currently has over 850 days of Uptime -- I don't know about you, but that sure sounds "fine" to me !!

I am NOT an advocate for UnRAID => I DO think it's a very stable product as long as you're just using the core functionality;  but I can think of NO reason why Tom is so utterly silent with regard to status info.  I am a satisfied user of the product; but certainly NOT satisfied with Tom's attitude towards status information.  But there's no reason to get an ulcer over it ... just remember the Serenity Prayer:  ".. God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, ..."

I have no interest in 4.7 and never have, it does seem that most, maybe even all have gotten their money's worth from 4.7, but its irrelevant to what 5.0 is. For those who it works for with their setup, I am happy for, but you can't dismiss others and their issues and state its ready for final.

I don't run plugins and have various issues (AFP, SMB, etc and others with NFS, and even though I don't use NFS currently I share their pain and want to know its resolved as well so should I require the functionality at a later point I would know it works and lastly speeds), you can read from other postings what my and others have issues with. So if its not going to be fixed then it should be removed.

If 5.0 final is what RC12a is today, its a complete failure and WILL have many jump ship. This is why I cannot see the next posting stating FINAL without having the community test, the Q&A coming from Tom has not be stellar and there is NO possible way it could be all repaired in the next release, whenever that may be.

Here's an idea, let customers post their issues (and those who want to help them resolve the mis-configuration or misunderstanding) and should anyone have any gripe's well then let Tom answer to them if he wishes, otherwise keep the forums quite. And lets stop posting pretending "we" are Tom #2/#3/#4 etc... otherwise just call me Tom the evil twin.

I'm stopped using unRAID years ago because Tom's lack of communicating. Also development (in my opinion) take ages. How long is unRAID 5.x beta?  From time to time i'll visit the forums. unRAID has a nice community and i really love to read all discussions and all those add-ins are really nice, unRAID needs a good add-in manager. Maybe some kind of app store where developers can advertise there add-ins. I have to agree with other unRAID users is a interesting solution, it's very stable but it could be so much more!

You know what?  A sociology or behavioral psycology student could probably use this forum for a good research subject.  Basic premise: How long until the natives get restless?  It would be interesting to scan all the posts' keywords vs. time to see how sentiment waxes and wanes in relation to posts by Tom.  The analyst in my thinks it would be interesting.  Fortunatly, I'm also not in school anymore looking for research projects, so my laziness has taken over ;-)

Madburg, if you have something to discuss with limetech then send it directly. Posting negativity on the forum goes no where.

To the rest of the thread members, you've seen snippets of news coming out. There's more to come.  Be a little more patient.

To the rest of the thread members, you've seen snippets of news coming out. There's more to come.  Be a little more patient.

WeeboTech, you make us curious.., do you know more?

We know a little bit, but it is neither our place nor our desire (as mods) to get in the middle on this.  We are here to "police" the forum when things get out of hand or when topics need moving.

We have not until this point gotten much/any more information than normal users on the forum.  I doubt that is going to change all that much, and even if it does none of us is likely going to "spill the beans".  It is not our place to do that.

I'm stopped using unRAID years ago because Tom's lack of communicating. Also development (in my opinion) take ages. How long is unRAID 5.x beta?  From time to time i'll visit the forums. unRAID has a nice community and i really love to read all discussions and all those add-ins are really nice, unRAID needs a good add-in manager. Maybe some kind of app store where developers can advertise there add-ins. I have to agree with other unRAID users is a interesting solution, it's very stable but it could be so much more!

May I ask what you went over to?

Sure, I'm already used ClearOS as my main server. It has 10TB of storage but no redundancy. I could do software RAID but i don't like it. That is why i also used unRAID for awhile besides my ClearOS server. I like the way unRAID is working, it's cheap (compared to other RAID products) and you can expand it easily.

Who knows what the future brings.., a new unRAID server... 

WeeboTech, you make us curious.., do you know more?

We know a little bit, but it is neither our place nor our desire (as mods) to get in the middle on this.  We are here to "police" the forum when things get out of hand or when topics need moving.

We have not until this point gotten much/any more information than normal users on the forum.  I doubt that is going to change all that much, and even if it does none of us is likely going to "spill the beans".  It is not our place to do that.

I'll respect Tom and i know Tom has a personal live too but in my opinion i think it's good thing if Tom communicate a bit more or at least someone who has daily contact with Tom and can do the postings for him. Maybe it's a idea if someone else does this so Tom has the time to work on unRAID.

Can we please keep this thread specific to the 5.0-rc12 release.

I encourage you to communicate on the tangents, please post new threads in the respective forum areas.

Finally made the jump  to 5.0-rc12a after having no issues with 5.0-rc11a.

So far so good cant seem to see any issues yet, would some one with a little expertise have a look over my system log just to see if there any thing i should be worried about.

I had a look and couldn't see anything, doesn't mean much though lol.

Syslog attached from cold boot after upgrade

Thanks

syslog-2013-05-29.zip