Dynamix - Web GUI

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This parity check slow-down was a problem with simplefeatures as well. Can you please fix this bug? The parity slow-down is the most annoying thing about these custom web guis.

Sent from my A510 using Tapatalk

I use a Google extension that shuts down any tab that doesn't have focus.  This has saved me heaps of time when running a parity.  It's now habit to flick to another tab when leaving the PC.

I recommend it if you have Google Chrome (works well with other dynamic webpages that can snaffle memory, like Facebook)

Can I ask the name of this extension?

I use a Google extension that shuts down any tab that doesn't have focus.  This has saved me heaps of time when running a parity.  It's now habit to flick to another tab when leaving the PC.

I recommend it if you have Google Chrome (works well with other dynamic webpages that can snaffle memory, like Facebook)

Can I ask the name of this extension?

The Great Suspender

When I reboot my server with the Dynamix webGUI plugin installed, I see a warning about not being able to verify the issuer's authority. Image attached below.

One installation option is to type wget --no-check-certificate ... from a telnet session. That's all that's happening when you reboot.

That seems to be the standard parameter for installing plugins from Git into unRAID. I don't know if it's an unRAID thing, or a git thing, or what, but it's a pretty standard parameter for every plugin I've seen.

I've been a long-time unMENU user (OK, I started building my server just over a year ago, but I've been using it since very near the beginning), and I have to say, WOW!  This looks great!! Thanks for all your hard work, bonienl!

I do have a question - there is a 'cache dirs' plugin for Dynamix. How does that differ from Joe L's (?) cache_dirs script?  Are there any significant/noticable differences, or is the plugin just a wrapper for the existing script?

Thanks again!

This parity check slow-down was a problem with simplefeatures as well. Can you please fix this bug? The parity slow-down is the most annoying thing about these custom web guis.

First, I don't see this as a bug in the webGui (both SF and Dynamix). It is a design decision (flaw?) in emhttp to start background disk activity upon each HTTP request made to it. That means that any button click you do in the GUI causes HDD activity. In the stock webGui this is circumvented by making it completely passive, meaning only when the user clicks on something there is interaction with emhttp. That's why people should not do  a frequent page fresh as it interferes with a parity check.

Second, Dynamix can be set to "passive" or "disabled" which stops all background HTTP requests and basically turns into the same manual behavior as the stock webGui. This explains why people see a difference in parity check speed when choosing a different page refresh mode in Dynamix.

Why the parity speed is different with Dynamix opened in passive or disabled mode, I can't explain. Was this tested with the stock webGui as well, I expect exactly the same results...

Thank you for the clarification on this issue. I wasn't aware that emhttp was actually causing it with each request made.

Still, you have created an amazing gui replacement. Thank you.

Should the .plg file be doing this?

The plugin downloads the .txz file from github only if it is not already locally available. Github works with HTTPS but in this case we use no certificates - hence the warning, which can be ignored.

In your case you need to delete the v2.0.9 .plg file from /boot/plugins. What happens is that the new version 2.1.0 is installed first, it removes *any* old .txz files, next version 2.0.9 is installed, it removes again *any* .txz files and downloads it from github, giving the ping-pong effect you are seeing.

The bottom line: there can be only ONE .plg file in the /boot/plugins folder.

I've been a long-time unMENU user (OK, I started building my server just over a year ago, but I've been using it since very near the beginning), and I have to say, WOW!  This looks great!! Thanks for all your hard work, bonienl!

I do have a question - there is a 'cache dirs' plugin for Dynamix. How does that differ from Joe L's (?) cache_dirs script?  Are there any significant/noticable differences, or is the plugin just a wrapper for the existing script?

Thanks again!

The GUI acts as a front-end and calls the original cache_dirs script to run in the background. The selections made in the GUI are translated to the proper switches for cache_dirs.

The settings page reports the current version of cache_dirs being used.

The plugin downloads the .txz file from github only if it is not already locally available. Github works with HTTPS but in this case we use no certificates - hence the warning, which can be ignored.

In your case you need to delete the v2.0.9 .plg file from /boot/plugins. What happens is that the new version 2.1.0 is installed first, it removes *any* old .txz files, next version 2.0.9 is installed, it removes again *any* .txz files and downloads it from github, giving the ping-pong effect you are seeing.

I second his very last statement, i had to reboot and when it came back up i had no webgui. Telnet to it and notice i had two .plg the 2.1.0 and the 2.1.1, removed the 2.1.0 and installed the other and boom got my webgui back.

Thanks again!

The GUI acts as a front-end and calls the original cache_dirs script to run in the background. The selections made in the GUI are translated to the proper switches for cache_dirs.

The settings page reports the current version of cache_dirs being used.

Ah, thank you! Handy bit of info to know.

Additional question, not directly related to Dynamix, but revealed by it. I've got 8GB RAM in my server, and this graph indicates that roughly 7.5 of it is used, mostly cache.  I'm going to assume that this is both expected and good, but having never known this nugget of info before, I'm not sure. Should this be a concern?

If I'm reading this correctly, the OS, unRAID, all my plugins, etc are using about 819MB of RAM, and it's using the rest to cache... something... I've got cache_dirs running, is that what's using up all the memory?

unRAID_mem.usage.PNG.c1ad14d3d4f1d25d5e8e861adbaf47c9.PNG

*nix OSes try to use all available memory. Cache/Buffers is memory that isn't used for other programs and if a program needs memory that isn't available, it will pull from the Cache/Buffer area.

cache_dirs uses the Cache/Buffer area, but also anything else you read/use. Stream a movie, goes into Cache/Buffer. Look at text files...goes into Cache/Buffer.  Stuff gets thrown out of Cache/Buffer basically on a oldest/least used algorythm

My \boot\plugins folder has the following files:

• dynamix.webGui-2.0.9-i486-1.txz
  • dynamix.webGui-2.1.0-noarch-bergware.plg

When I do the upgrade through the plugin manager it doesn't seem to grab the latest .txz file. Currently my webGui reports it is version 2.0.9. I see 2.1.1 is available now, and I will upgrade to that and see what happens.

Okay, after the "upgrade" and reboot, it is still installing 2.0.9. Now in \boot\plugins I have:

• dynamix.webGui-2.1.1-noarch-bergware.plg

My \boot\plugins folder has the following files:

• dynamix.webGui-2.1.0-noarch-bergware.plg

When I do the upgrade through the plugin manager it doesn't seem to grab the latest .txz file. Currently my webGui reports it is version 2.0.9. I see 2.1.1 is available now, and I will upgrade to that and see what happens.

Okay, after the "upgrade" and reboot, it is still installing 2.0.9. Now in \boot\plugins I have:

• dynamix.webGui-2.1.1-noarch-bergware.plg

Try these commands (using the console or a telnet session):

cd /boot/plugins
installplg dynamix.webGui-2.1.1-noarch-bergware.plg

You should be able to copy and paste them into a telnet session.

If it doesn't work, copy and paste what output you get while the installplg command is being run.

That worked and replaced the .txz file with the proper one. The question I guess is, why is that not done during the "upgrade" from the webGUI?

The only guess (or SWAG) that I have is that the download of the .txz file failed.  The reason for that occurring are multiple:    Downtime of your

IPS;      Failure of the DNS server that you/IPS are using;      Downtime of the server loading the required files;      Corruption during downloading of the .txz;      etc, etc.

Does the Email Notify plugin, or any of its dependencies, scrub the email addresses? I wanted to use Gmail's nifty '+' character appended to my username, so that I could create filters more generally.

Example: any email coming in with '<username>[email protected]', would be automatically labeled/archived/whatever.

But it doesn't appear to be working. My config file shows them as having the '+' character, but they're not coming into Gmail as such.

Been browsing through the source, but nothing has stuck out. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks!

I did this in SimpleFeatures and am guessing it should be the same. Here is the part of my SF config that may be of help. Oh, does it work without the "+" in there? I always use them, even in stores when they want an email addresses and it always gets funny looks.

email.RcptTo="[email protected]"

email.ErrorRcptTo="[email protected]"

email.MailFrom="[email protected]"

I guess I could note that I didn't do this in Dynamix because I forgot. I set the email interval much longer so I like to see them in my inbox now anyways.

Does the Email Notify plugin, or any of its dependencies, scrub the email addresses? I wanted to use Gmail's nifty '+' character appended to my username, so that I could create filters more generally.

Example: any email coming in with '<username>[email protected]', would be automatically labeled/archived/whatever.

But it doesn't appear to be working. My config file shows them as having the '+' character, but they're not coming into Gmail as such.

Been browsing through the source, but nothing has stuck out. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks!

I did this in SimpleFeatures and am guessing it should be the same. Here is the part of my SF config that may be of help. Oh, does it work without the "+" in there? I always use them, even in stores when they want an email addresses and it always gets funny looks.

email.RcptTo="[email protected]"

email.ErrorRcptTo="[email protected]"

email.MailFrom="[email protected]"

I guess I could note that I didn't do this in Dynamix because I forgot. I set the email interval much longer so I like to see them in my inbox now anyways.

That's what I set mine too (except 'unraid' is lowercased) and it seems to get stripped out.

Ach!

Everything was working well until I installed the email EDIT: server notify plugin. I got my test message, but when I went to configure the regularly scheduled emails, something crashed and now neither Dynamix or unMENU will respond.

ps- ef|grep uu
ps -ef|grep emht

show

/bin/bash /boot/unmenu/uu
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp

respectivly, so I know unMENU and emhttp are still running. I don't what process name to look for to find Dynamix.

Attached is my syslog (trimmed for size to start after the mover finished this morning), which I note ends at 20:14. it's currently 21:40 local - seems odd that nothing would have written to the syslog in 90 minutes... What else do you need?

TIA!

syslog.txt

That's what I set mine too (except 'unraid' is lowercased) and it seems to get stripped out.

I found one of the SF emails in my trash and it did make it through gmail's system with the "+unRAID" intact. If you are using it in the "MailFrom" spot, maybe you'd get different results, so try the others and filter on the "To" address instead. If not, we'll have to see if bonienl is interested in figuring out if there is a difference between Dynamix and SF.

I found one of the SF emails in my trash and it did make it through gmail's system with the "+unRAID" intact. If you are using it in the "MailFrom" spot, maybe you'd get different results, so try the others and filter on the "To" address instead. If not, we'll have to see if bonienl is interested in figuring out if there is a difference between Dynamix and SF.

I use gmail filters to move mails with the specific topic to a subfolder.

I've just replaced simpleFeatures with Dynamix and everything works great - seems much faster, too. Thanks for all the hard work that must have gone into this project.

However, I've got one problem: newznab (using the unplugged plugin by Influencer) doesn't work anymore as it seems to be dependent on the simpleFeatures web server running. I tried looking through the code of the newznab plugin but even after swapping all the old references (/boot/config/plugins/simpleFeatures/lighttpd.cfg) with the new ones (/boot/config/plugins/dynamix/dynamix.lighttpd.cfg) I can't get it to work.

Does anyone use newznab with the new Dynamix? If yes, how did you get it to work? An 'idiots' guide would be very much appreciated - thanks!

I have Newznab (latest revision) running under Dynamix.  I had been having trouble updating with Influencer's plugin and couldn't update beyound Rev 3049 due to the switch to pdo.  I switched from Simple Features as Dynamix uses a later version of PHP in it's web browser so I can now update to the latest revision.

I created a new installation of Newznab (I didn't use Influencer's plugin for the reason you stated, it looks for the Simple Features Web Server.)  After manually installing NN using svn, I copied the rewrite rules from my old copy of lighttpd.cfg to the dynamix.lighttpd.cfg file.  Then I renamed my old php.ini file to  dynamix.php.cfg and moved it to the /boot/config/plugins/dynamix directory overwriting the original file. In the Dynamix webserver configuration you need to set the web root to whatever your NN www directory is.

Obviously the drawback to my method is you have to start from scratch with NN.

• Squid locked this topic