unRAID Server Release 5.0.5-i386 Available

limetech

I'm holding out for 5.0.6 with the new GUI.

Any update on progress / release date?

And there you have it.  With two official threads updating us on 6 Beta6 and Xen virtualization, and nothing on version 5, it's safe to assume there is no more work happening on Version 5.

What exactly do you want to see in v5?  v5 is based on a 32-bit slackware distro several years old, using a PAE linux kernel.  It's going to be a huge amount of work to update, and for what?  Another 32-bit PAE kernel?

We can either back port new features being worked on in v6 to v5, or we can move forward and bring v5 plugins into v6.  Don't you think the latter is a better approach?

About the only advantage I see with v5 moving forward is for those using a non-64-bit capable CPU or very low memory (< 1GB) configurations.  Do you fall in that category?

The jump from v5 plugins to v6 VMs is massive.  Without the time to dedicate and a test machine to try it on, there is little or no inclination to move to Beta 6.

What am I looking for ? Just what you promised.  A new enhanced GUI and plugin manager. Would do it for me.  I'm not sure about the others.

If you have decided not to continue developing 5.0, just say so.  Those of us who have been waiting are basing our decisions on comments you made about the development of 5.0, not something we made up.

If you tell us it's 5 is now frozen, great, I'll let it go and go build a snowman until 6.0 is released and I have the time to dedicate to build up a VM that incorporates all of the plugins I currently use.

Just tell us what the future holds for version 5 and then your paying customers can make informed decisions about thir upgrade path.  While porting v5 plugins to 6 would solve everything, many of the plugin authors are no longer around or have decided to move to VMs instead of plugins.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What am I looking for ? Just what you promised.  A new enhanced GUI and plugin manager. Would do it for me.

I cannot, and don't wish to, speak for Tom, but neither of those features are yet complete in V6 development - I presume that, once they are, they could be made available on V5.

If you are keen to move to V6 and VMs, then it would be possible to set up Xen on another platform and do your VM configuration there.

What am I looking for ? Just what you promised.  A new enhanced GUI and plugin manager. Would do it for me.

I cannot, and don't wish to, speak for Tom, but neither of those features are yet complete in V6 development - I presume that, once they are, they could be made available on V5.

If you are keen to move to V6 and VMs, then it would be possible to set up Xen on another platform and do your VM configuration there.

So don't speak for him as his comments would indicate he is concentrating on 6 without wanting to back port.  If that's the direction, fine, just say so.  Don't leave those of us without the time or hardware to play with VMs waiting for nothing.

So don't speak for him as his comments would indicate he is concentrating on 6 without wanting to back port.  If that's the direction, fine, just say so.  Don't leave those of us without the time or hardware to play with VMs waiting for nothing.

Thank you for making this clear. I feel exactly the same.

About the only advantage I see with v5 moving forward is for those using a non-64-bit capable CPU or very low memory (< 1GB) configurations.  Do you fall in that category?

Actually, my older unRAID server meets that exact description,  512Meg of ram in 4 128Meg Strips.  The original Intel Intel D865GLCLK motherboard you sold to me with a 32 bit capable Celeron CPU.  Even if there were a 64 bit CPU that would fit in the "Intel Socket 478 " socket, the cost of upgrading the memory to 4Gig would be prohibitive as it is old DDR dual-channel-memory and not as inexpensive as current RAM.

Joe L.

CPU is 32 Bit Capable. It is NOT 64 Bit capable.

CPU Info (from /proc/cpuinfo)

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 15
model		: 4
model name	: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.26GHz
stepping	: 1
cpu MHz		: 2260.830
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 5
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc up pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
bogomips	: 4521.66
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 128
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

I know this is easy for me to say because I have always had 64 bit capable hardware running unRAID but; there comes a time when the end of life is end of life.  Why should Tom spend time and resources on kicking a dying horse?

Utilizing unRAID 5 in its current state isn't all that difficult is it?  Yes some plugin developers have flown the coop but editing there plugins with updated package links isn't all that difficult.

Kryspy

I know this is easy for me to say because I have always had 64 bit capable hardware running unRAID but; there comes a time when the end of life is end of life.  Why should Tom spend time and resources on kicking a dying horse?

Utilizing unRAID 5 in its current state isn't all that difficult is it?  Yes some plugin developers have flown the coop but editing there plugins with updated package links isn't all that difficult.

Kryspy

No one would bemoan Tom deciding to concentrate on 6.  It makes sense.  But when the last official comment on 5 is that it will be back ported with new features that 6 gets then it's only natural that we ask what's going on.

It's the not knowing that is causing issues here, a lot more than an apparent change of direction.  At least I'm guessing there ha been a change because we still have nothing official.

It would be better at this point to just finish the new webui port to V5 and then officially declare it end of life; only receiving security updates.

Kryspy

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

+1

Lime / Tom - You said you would release 5.06 with the fixed webgui - so that is why we are all expecting it, as you that is the expectation you set.  It's simple, keep constant communication so we all are on the same page.  We don't hear from you for many weeks and then learn that you have changed direction.

I agree with great effort on future releases.  However, your official release today is v5 and it has weak webgui with issues.  I would vote that you finish what you started and get v5 solid with a working plugin manager and webgui.  Make v6 a 2nd priority.

Given how long it took to get to a solid v5 RC (coming from a solid v4.7 with unmenu), do you expect that we all just hang out and wait for many months / years for a solid v6 RC - meanwhile we use the half-baked incomplete v5?

BTW - re the openssl, my version seems quite old - 0.9.8r - 2011.  Not sure which plugin is downloading and installing this.  Does this mean I'm ok or at risk?

BTW - re the openssl, my version seems quite old - 0.9.8r - 2011.  Not sure which plugin is downloading and installing this.  Does this mean I'm ok or at risk?

The currently released version of my mpop plugin would load openssl 0.9.8r and, yes, it is safe.

What exactly do you want to see in v5?  v5 is based on a 32-bit slackware distro several years old, using a PAE linux kernel.  It's going to be a huge amount of work to update, and for what?  Another 32-bit PAE kernel?

We can either back port new features being worked on in v6 to v5, or we can move forward and bring v5 plugins into v6.  Don't you think the latter is a better approach?

I, for myself am looking for a update with fixed Intel network driver (if there is a working fix that shouldn't be a biggie). And also, like many others, the promised GUI update (no idea how much work that is). I don't ask for any other features being backported from 6. I may try 6 out when I can get hold of a machine to play around, but my 10 drive server is still on 5, and will remain so until I have played a bit with a more mature 6.

I, for myself am looking for a update with fixed Intel network driver [....] I don't ask for any other features being backported from 6.

+1

It seems that the Intel network driver is quite old and I have some slight but noticeable issues with the data flow using my unRAID server as a video server. In my case, just keep the drivers up-to-date and I would be an happy (pay) camper. Virtualization is just another animal, for which I don't have currently the use.

Here is attached my syslog from tonight. The whole period where I was watching a movie through a hard wired 1GB connection I had the msg "Tower last message repeated 2 times" every 2 minutes. Just don't know what this is.

Every once in a while the movie seems to jump or skip a few frames for no reason. I have used a KdLink and a Fire TV device with the same result.

I have re-installed recently my whole system with just Dynamix and Plex, to get rid of any collateral issue. But in vain.

My ethernet card is an Intel e1000 and the driver is an ancient Intel® PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 7.3.21-k8-NAPI (copyright 2006!). I am wondering if this could be the cause of this inconvenience.

Other hardware possibility: the network goes through 1 router and 2 switches, but it has a very light load.

syslog.txt

Here is attached my syslog from tonight. The whole period where I was watching a movie through a hard wired 1GB connection I had the msg "Tower last message repeated 2 times" every 2 minutes. Just don't know what this is.

Every once in a while the movie seems to jump or skip a few frames for no reason. I have used a KdLink and a Fire TV device with the same result.

I have re-installed recently my whole system with just Dynamix and Plex, to get rid of any collateral issue. But in vain.

My ethernet card is an Intel e1000 and the driver is an ancient Intel® PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 7.3.21-k8-NAPI (copyright 2006!). I am wondering if this could be the cause of this inconvenience.

Other hardware possibility: the network goes through 1 router and 2 switches, but it has a very light load.

One thing that I have found is that playback issues are sometimes solved by rebooting (by removing power) the router and all switches on the network.  Remember that all of these devices are basically computers and a reboot will get eliminate any possible corruption issues.

Rebooting the router and switches? Been there, done that. No change. :-[

I have had the same issue with WiFi connection, that's why I have decided to go hard wired. The WiFi connection rules out the switches as the source of the problem, because they weren't in use in this configuration.  The router is a TP-Link WDR3600 N600 dual band with the latest firmware (decent hardware).

I definitely hope plugin support will not go away.

I don't want virtual machines for the task. I have no cache disk and if I had room for a cache disk I would use that space/cable for one more data disk.

And I want my disks to sleep which is an advantage we get from booting from a USB thumb drive. With virtual machines, we'll get lots of extra processes that will regularly want to make disk accesses.

How are you running plugins now without keeping your disks spun up if you do not have a cache drive?

What I run is stored on a thumb drive. No writes unless I specifically ask for it. No CPU unless I specifically make any request. And if needed I have MySQL available on other machine.

Start in safe mode. Can you play this file correctly if it is stored locally on the player?

• 3 months later...

I just picked up a SM X9-scm-iif board with the same intel chipset dual lans. I disabled lan 1 and I am using lan 2 but I am noticing a lot of dropped RX packets in testing. I have read several of the posts here about it and as well there seems to be several bugs posted across the net with several workarounds. Tom, which e1000 driver are we currently using I noticed there is a 2.54 revision driver that a lot of bug posters have said seems to help. Anyone else seeing this on there intel based nics.

Thanks,

Dave

I'll look into this for 5.0.6 release.

So we're basically still just waiting for you to take a look into this? Maybe you could take that look after making the v6 final? (together with other minor touch ups...) Just hoping for a fixed final v5, don't want or need to convert my 2gb i3 server with plex to 64 bit vm and docker right now. Maybe at a later time.

I'm still stuck on 5.04 because 5.05 has time zone issues with Brisbane.  Heading back towards daylight savings (but we don't change).  I know V6 is the new kid on the block, but V5 is the only stable release!  Surely there would have been a fix by now!!!  It's a bit disappointing.

You could move away from Brisbane  ;D

If I set timezone to Brisbane in unRaid-6, the time displayed matches what google displays for "Brisbane time".  I don't have access to a v5.0.5 server until tomorrow, but if it's wrong, but v5.0.4 is right, you can grab the Brisbane timezone file from v5.0.4, rename to 'custom' and put in /boot/config.  Then in timezone selection you select 'custom'.  Seems like this should work.  Are you guys currently in 'summer time' now?  (or I guess everyone else is but you?)