unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta3-x86_64 Available

limetech

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so unraid is hosting a vm, using xen software(?) and that xen is running ubuntu?

So the lowest layer on top of the actual hardware is unraid, on top of that is a thin layer of xen, and on top of that are the vm's?

I always thought xen was a layer in between the vm's and the actual hardware, to make virtualization possible?

But i guess we are dealing with the bottom image?

vm1.png.dc7f87a1886fbcbf09d33276b7a6a4c0.png

vm2.png.bac9f2986684dfb6804b56d95375c676.png

So I followed the directions exactly except I changed the location from /mnt/cache/Xen to /mnt/appdisk/Xen where "appdisk" is my GO mounted SSD.  And all worked perfectly.

On thing I did see, and this might not be Tom's issue to deal with, is that the vncserver password seems to only use the first 8 characters of anything typed in.  I'm not even sure how much of a security risk that is, but it seems like remote access to the vncserver should probably have a decent password.  Of all the things we're now likely to give access to via the world-wild-web it would be one of our VMs.

Thoughts?

the Xen and unRaid levels are the same level in a sense.

Ah ok... so both unraid as xen are booted and are running parallel, on top of the hardware? But that would mean both xen as unraid are vm's by themselves, right? Otherwise, one is running the other, like my pics?

"When the syslinux boot menu appears, hit a key and then select the "Xen/unRAID" entry. "

For the beta series at least this should be the default. Come production we can debate it.

Also for all testers please please please remember this is a beta cycle. Dont stick vms on the web or trust it for anything. Yet.

If the whole concept of VMs and Xen etc are new to you then please dont try and learn it by Q&A in the announcement thread. Create new threads with specifics.

If the whole concept of VMs and Xen etc are new to you then please dont try and learn it by Q&A in the announcement thread. Create new threads with specifics.

Jeez, sorry for trying to grasp all this. I assume limetech will open some topic SOON explaining all this for people who are not linux freaks from day 1 >:(

Also for all testers please please please remember this is a beta cycle. Dont stick vms on the web or trust it for anything. Yet.

and if that was directed at me, sorry but i think a basic install question like the vnc password limitation is perfect for this thread (regardless of my 'sticking it on the web' implication) as is the viability of updating to Ubuntu 13.10.  If the conversation dives into specific, pro's, con's, etc beyond Yes/No/Deal_With_It answers then yes of course they deserve their own threads.

and if that was directed at me, sorry but i think a basic install question like the vnc password limitation is perfect for this thread (regardless of my 'sticking it on the web' implication) as is the viability of updating to Ubuntu 13.10.  If the conversation dives into specific, pro's, con's, etc beyond Yes/No/Deal_With_It answers then yes of course they deserve their own threads.

Not malice intended you just reminded me along with the general upswell of non beta testers using the beta cycle as a learning experience instead of beta testing that we should keep pointing out the risks to be safe.

So to be clear anyone is free to try whatever they want :) ... but just not in this specific thread. Fork fork fork :)

Not malice intended you just reminded me along with the general upswell of non beta testers using the beta cycle as a learning experience instead of beta testing that we should keep pointing out the risks to be safe.

So to be clear anyone is free to try whatever they want :) ... but just not in this specific thread. Fork fork fork :)

no malice taken, and i completely understand.  A good example ... I'm gonna fork a discussion (after searching a bit more) about snapshot-ing and backing up the VM :)

On thing I did see, and this might not be Tom's issue to deal with, is that the vncserver password seems to only use the first 8 characters of anything typed in.  I'm not even sure how much of a security risk that is, but it seems like remote access to the vncserver should probably have a decent password.  Of all the things we're now likely to give access to via the world-wild-web it would be one of our VMs.

1. Most of your Apps will be WebGUIs... So you should just access those instead of VNCing into your VM.

2. Enabled SSH in your VMs and set the security appropriately. Google "Securing SSH Server" to learn how to do this.

3. Consider loading a "minimal" install of whatever Linux Distro you are using for your VM. That way you are not loading GBs of "bloat" and a Linux Desktop which you will never use.

4. You will want to load Xen Paravirtualized Drivers whatever Linux Distro you are using for VMs. Most Linux Distros have a guide (many have separate installers) on how exactly to do this. This will make your VMs CPU, memory, network, video, virtual disk drive, etc. run FASTER. The host (unRAID) does not have to emulate a FULL PC to VMs with PV Drivers. This also decreases the amount of "work" that the Host (unRAID) has to do.

5. If you want to use VNC, you decide if it has a password or not and you decide what it is / how long it is. If you use TightVNC the maximum length is 8 characters. There are other VNC clients if you want a longer one.

Should we look at providing a JEOS type base distro that people should consider strongly using to try and minimise OS diversity for OS diversity sake.

I was concerned that starting that talk would be too early but three is so much interest in this sooner rather than later might be better

Ok, so unraid is hosting a vm, using xen software(?) and that xen is running ubuntu?

So the lowest layer on top of the actual hardware is unraid, on top of that is a thin layer of xen, and on top of that are the vm's?

I always thought xen was a layer in between the vm's and the actual hardware, to make virtualization possible?

But i guess we are dealing with the bottom image?

Neither image is correct.  Refer to:

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Overview

Why?

Xen is a proven and reliable Type 1 Hypervisor and been around for over a decade. It has a robust community, tons of backing from many Fortune 500 companies and has a rigorous development / testing / life-cycle management process.

All Tom did was enable it in the Linux Kernel and compile / install the latest stable version of Xen. We are not reinventing the wheel or blazing new trails or running a beta / unstable version of Xen.

The fact that it runs on Slackware 14.1 is immaterial. Users could create VMs in unRAID, Ubuntu, Arch, Debian, XenServer, etc. and they are independent of anything Tom could / would do within unRAID.

If you want to put your whole VM or the various services like http, https, ssh, vnc, ftp, http / https, etc. out on the web...

You will want to isolate / harden the Linux Distro (VM) / Network / Firewall / SSL Encryption / Etc. within the VM and your router. If you do not know how to do this, I agree with NAS.

Another Question:

This is version 13.04 and 13.10 is shown as available when first logging into the vm console.  Any reason not to update?

No reason except maybe wasted time if you end up junking this VM.  You can also "subscribe" to stacklet for 10 bucks and get access to later versions.

@Tom

Can you replace r8169 driver with Realtek r8168 driver on next beta? since WOL is not functioning, same update you did on V5.

//Peter

To be honest, I'm tired of dealing with the Realtek driver issues and plan on using only r8169 provided in the kernel.  We need to find another solution to your "WOL issue".

Why?

Xen is a proven and reliable Type 1 Hypervisor and been around for over a decade. It has a robust community, tons of backing from many Fortune 500 companies and has a rigorous development / testing / life-cycle management process.

All Tom did was enable it in the Linux Kernel and compile / install the latest stable version of Xen. We are not reinventing the wheel or blazing new trails or running a beta / unstable version of Xen.

The fact that it runs on Slackware 14.1 is immaterial. Users could create VMs in unRAID, Ubuntu, Arch, Debian, XenServer, etc. and they are independent of anything Tom could / would do within unRAID.

If you want to put your whole VM or the various services like http, https, ssh, vnc, ftp, http / https, etc. out on the web...

You will want to isolate / harden the Linux Distro (VM) / Network / Firewall / SSL Encryption / Etc. within the VM and your router. If you do not know how to do this, I agree with NAS.

Grumps, don't think the above comment you're replying to was in response to Xen itself, but the lack of experience/knowledge of best practices involving VMs by this community. 

That said, there is one fantastic method of learning...

Ogi

Should we look at providing a JEOS type base distro that people should consider strongly using to try and minimise OS diversity for OS diversity sake.

You are trying to herd cats now and I trying to dictate what OS people should run in a VM isn't going to work either.

If I was hanging a Mail server, Webserver, Forum, etc. off on the web, I am not going to use Ubuntu. It would probably be something like CentOS / Debian. However, if I was hanging CouchPotato or PlexServer... that is a different story and a different Linux Distro (which I would isolate / hardenwith the best available tools / practices).

What I would do IMMEDIATELY...

Create a VM Appliance Section in the forum with Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora, Arch, etc. subforums. That way noobs who stumble upon a Arch Linux VM Appliance don't copy and paste those commands into the Ubuntu VM Appliance they created. There will be mass confusion unless this happens quickly.

Something to consider with Distros that are not rolling releases...

Set up the non-rolling release Distros with the version number in the subforum. (Example :Ubuntu 13.10 and Fedora 20) That way, when the next release comes out the new / old versions don't screw people up. For example, Ubuntu is going to systemd in a few version so most everything someone would read / do in the Ubuntu 13.10 subforum would not work in Ubuntu 14.10 (which has systemd).

Why?

I think he's not referring to the Xen technology, but rather the content of the VM image.  For example, one could start a VM image that does malicious things.  With great power comes great responsibility.