[IDEA] - Share dockers in xml format

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is the sample .xml for Airvideo.  Thanks again for your help, gfjardim!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Container>
  <Name>AirVideo</Name>
  <Description>
    Air Video can stream videos in almost any format to your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. You don't need to copy your videos to the device just to watch them.[br][br]
    If the videos in your collection are not in format supported by iPhone or iPad, Air Video will convert them on fly. You don't need to wait until the entire video is converted. You can start watching it almost immediately![br][br]
    [b][span style='color: #E80000;']Directions:[/span][/b][br]
    [b]/config[/b] : this path is used to store the configuration and the database files of AirVideo[br]
    [b]/tv[/b] :set this path to where you wish to find your tvshows in AirVideo[br]
    [b]/movies[/b] : set this path to where you wish to find your movies in AirVideo.
  </Description>
  <Registry>https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/eroz/airvideo/</Registry>
  <Repository>eroz/airvideo</Repository>
  <BindTime>true</BindTime>
  <Privileged>true</Privileged>
  <Environment>
    <Variable>
      <Name></Name>
      <Value></Value>
    </Variable>
    <Variable>
      <Name>FOLDERS</Name>
      <Value>Movies:/movies, TVShows:/tv</Value>
    </Variable>
  </Environment>
  <Networking>
    <Mode>host</Mode>
    <Publish>
      <Port>
        <HostPort>45631</HostPort>
        <ContainerPort>45631</ContainerPort>
        <Protocol>tcp</Protocol>
      </Port>
    </Publish>
  </Networking>
  <Data>
    <Volume>
      <HostDir></HostDir>
      <ContainerDir>/movies</ContainerDir>
      <Mode>ro</Mode>
    </Volume>
    <Volume>
      <HostDir></HostDir>
      <ContainerDir>/tv</ContainerDir>
      <Mode>ro</Mode>
    </Volume>
    <Volume>
      <HostDir></HostDir>
      <ContainerDir>/config</ContainerDir>
      <Mode>rw</Mode>
    </Volume>
  </Data>
</Container>

Sorry it has taken me so long to chime on on this.

Fundamentally I think you have more than proven this is a sound concept implemented well.

However I would like to see if we could document it on the wiki so we can show some change control and define it as a spec.

Also I am not so keen about how the description section is evolving for two reasons.

1. I dont think we should allow HTML in there as it is very specifically useful to the current enhanced docker plugin you wrote. Should later on if people start skinning or using alternate plugins this will become a hurdle and not a benefit.

2. I think the HTML formatting hints at a lack of comment field per data field.

For example the comment:

Directions:

/config : in this path, Deluge will store it's configuration files.

which has HTML formatting to distinguish the data from the description would actually be better served as a comment specifically applied to that one volume field.

Would you also consider having two fields for description much like manpage has

e.g.

NAME

cut - remove sections from each line of files

DESCRIPTION

Print selected parts of lines from each FILE to standard output.

This lends itself to having a summary header that is useful for popups and summary lists etc. It also focuses devs on having a one liner basic NAME description which is easy for users to consume.

I'd like to see an auto-generting XML feature.

i.e. a brainless noob like me can cut and paste the docker command line that I find at the reporitory's site into a tool which then parses the command and creates the XML for me.  The is if I want to tweek it, or add commentry/help text, I can do that directly.

Or maybe that's an overkill.

• 3 weeks later...

Well done, smdion, those are very nice. Will be included soon!

Thanks for sharing!

Does it not need to be both? T XML doesn't come from either the docker repo or the github source and therefore isnt covered by either license.?

This might seem over the top but if we are going to try and be more open there should be no grey areas.

Does it not need to be both? T XML doesn't come from either the docker repo or the github source and therefore isnt covered by either license.?

This might seem over the top but if we are going to try and be more open there should be no grey areas.

Those xml are already GPL'ed, since they are a generated code from the plugin: https://github.com/gfjardim/dockers/blob/dockerMan/dockerMan/LICENSE

Since my work is forked from the original docker extension, I maintained the LICENSE file, so LT could include it in the official version with no major license shenanigan.

I understand what you are saying but let me use an example.

XML can be posted anywhere (look up a few posts). These are not covered by your dockerman license since neither you or the dockerman code are the author of the XML.

The most elegant solution is that attribution and licensing contained as fields in the XML spec itself (note I say XML spec which I consider a discrete entity to dockerman even though it is the only tool currently that uses it).

So let me add attribution to the request for addition to the spec as well.

I understand what you are saying but let me use an example.

XML can be posted anywhere (look up a few posts). These are not covered by your dockerman license since neither you or the dockerman code are the author of the XML.

The most elegant solution is that attribution and licensing contained as fields in the XML spec itself (note I say XML spec which I consider a discrete entity to dockerman even though it is the only tool currently that uses it).

So let me add attribution to the request for addition to the spec as well.

The original format of the XML (on the main topic) was generated by the source code itself. It's a mirror of an specific function. It's derived work by the definition of the GPL, and maintain the license as such.

I know you know about these things but if i write an XML and post it here the contents within the fields are still mine unless i choose to explicitly state otherwise. That is a given and currently the XML or the forum itself cannot easily cater for this.

If you are saying this thread is only about about a specific configuration file of the dockerman tool and not a independent specification to share dockers in xml format then that is fine but it is not what I took from it and is off less interest to me as it is very specific.