Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 - 8 Sata PCI-E 4x non-raid controller card

Romir

Nevermind - I can see from your syslog which driver is being used.  The 'stock' mvsas driver included with the kernel will not work reliably with SATA drives attached.  The mvsas driver included SCST does work however & that is what I'm using to support this card.

After a quick glance, the stock mvsas driver in kernel 2.6.33 is still the old revision 772 of mv_64xx.c, as it does not include the changes from revision 849. This is a bit of a disappointment, as updates haven't occurred in months (May - June 2009 timeframe). I wonder what's keeping the updates from the main kernel tree.

The change logs from SCST:

1. Fixed some issues with initiator driver.

2. Clean up code.

3. Fixed issue with supporting task management function.

4. Fixed issue with checking and sending sense data.

5. update version to 0.8.3.

1. Fixed deadlock issue.

2. Update code to support adaptable feature set according chip type.

3. Add support new B0 chip of 9480.

4. Add change log file and README

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A quick note, SCST / MVSAS does not yet seem to have direct support for 2.6.33 kernel. The mv_sas.c file needs a patch to deal with a change in the libsas routine sas_change_queue_depth, as it now takes in a 'reason code' and will always return an error unless that code is SCSI_QDEPTH_DEFAULT.

This topic may be easier to locate in the future than the release-specific folder...

can someone post breakout cables that have been proven for this card? I'm new to the SAS world, and would appreciate any recommendations from those more in-the-know.

tia,

John

Does anyone here have 2 of these running ? i cant find a good motherboard that will let me run 2 of these that has been tested from what i seen some motherboards wont let you run anything but graphics cards in one of the slots. I just need to be able to run 20 sata drives for my noroc 4020 i don't mind buying a pci graphics card if that will let me to run 2 of these cards.

Does anyone here have 2 of these running ? i cant find a good motherboard that will let me run 2 of these that has been tested from what i seen some motherboards wont let you run anything but graphics cards in one of the slots. I just need to be able to run 20 sata drives for my noroc 4020 i don't mind buying a pci graphics card if that will let me to run 2 of these cards.

Yes many older m/b will only support a x16 PCI-E card in the x16 PCI-E slot.

You could use Supermicro C2SEA.  I know the card works in either PCI-E slot (one is a x16, other x4), but I haven't installed two simultaneously; I can maybe try that later.  Another option would be:

C2SEA - 6 ports

AOC-SASLP-MV8 - 8 ports

Adaptec 1430SA - 4 ports

Adaptec 1220SA - 2 ports (in the PCI-E x1 slot)

there's your 20 ports.

You could use Supermicro C2SEA.  I know the card works in either PCI-E slot (one is a x16, other x4), but I haven't installed two simultaneously; I can maybe try that later.  Another option would be:

C2SEA - 6 ports

AOC-SASLP-MV8 - 8 ports

Adaptec 1430SA - 4 ports

there's your 20 ports.

I think i found a AMD board that works GA-MA790GP-UD4H someone on a different forum said he is running 2 AOC-SASLP-MV8 on it.

C2SEA - 6 ports

AOC-SASLP-MV8 - 8 ports

Adaptec 1430SA - 4 ports

there's your 20 ports.

Curious what the cost on power would be for running all those sata boards vs a couple of AOC-SASLP-MV8 - 8 ports?

Where would you place your Parity Drive in that setup?

• 2 weeks later...

I have run into a proble with resuming from s3 sleep when a drive is attached to the MV8. If all drives are attahed to mobo ports then sleep/resume works just fine but when one or more drives is attached to the MV8 the system will resume however the shares and web console do not start working again. The tlenet sesion from where I initiated the sleep comes back as does the system console. The log shows a lot of timeouts and the activity LED on the drives connected to the MV8 flash at about a 1Hz rate. I have attached a syslog from both a good suspend/resume and one that shows it failing.

Anyone sucessfully doing suspend/resume with drives connected to an MV8 on their system?

One more thing, WOL from a power off state works just fine with drives connect to the MV8.

syslog-2010-03-28.zip

Actually either cable will work.  There's no electrical difference in a forward vs. reverse breakout cable => the difference is in whether or not the SATA termination cables are of staggered lengths ... a "forward" cable will have different lengths (to accomodate the fact the drives are a few inches apart), whereas a "reverse" cable will have cables all the same length (since the SATA ports are likely very close together).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually, another question:  Lots of PCI-E cards will work, albeit with impaired performance, but WORK in a x1 slot.  Anyone with this card tried this? 

(It's all I've got for the given build, and it's more than enough bandwidth for me: 250-500 mb/sec)

I've tested AOC-SASLP-MV8 at PCIe X1 slot, I can't estimate the performance impact, but it actually work.

Anyone is having trouble running this board and not been able the drives to spin down?