unRAID 6 NerdPack - CLI tools (iftop, iotop, screen, kbd, etc.)

jonp

@dmaciasThe latest version of unRAR supplied is subject to a directory traversal vulnerability:

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2022-30333#vulnCurrentDescriptionTitle

I found a slackware package for 6.1.7 (needs to be >= 6.1.2) so assuming this is usable in UnRAID it should be a simple swap? *SEE EDIT BELOW

https://slackware.pkgs.org/current/slackers/unrar-6.1.7-x86_64-1cf.txz.html

For those of you who don't want to wait for the plugin to be updated can place your packages in /boot/extra for install.

This is unsupported, not recommended by FCP (it will produce a warning on scan), and may break your system but in my testing with the few packages I use it works fine for the time being.

EDIT: I totally misread the CVE version #. It's 6.12 or later not 6.1.2 . So the version I linked above, while newer than what's in NerdPack, still doesn't address that CVE. I can't seem to find a 6.12 version for slackware anywhere? Can anyone else?

Edited by weirdcrap
  • Like 1
44 minutes ago, weirdcrap said:

For those of you who don't want to wait for the plugin to be updated can place your packages in /boot/extra for install.

Haven't tried that recently but might since I only use 'screen' and related. Not sure if perl is even needed after sensors are detected.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Haven't tried that recently but might since I only use 'screen' and related. Not sure if perl is even needed after sensors are detected.

I went ahead and threw PERL in there anyway. I only have PERL, Screen, SSHFS, and UnRAR and no issues so far.

I did a test install of the UnRAR package I linked above and it seems to be working so if anyone is concerned about that CVE I posted you should be able to safely replace the NerdPack version with the one I linked above. ***EDIT: See my edit in my previous reply.

Really the only reason I'm gunghoe to get on the RC is to try and resolve my DNS Issues.

Edited by weirdcrap
2 hours ago, weirdcrap said:

For those of you who don't want to wait for the plugin to be updated

Just to reiterate a previous comment I made here, but as of this moment I am not expecting NerdPack (or DevPack) to be updated, and when 6.11.0 stable is released this plugin will be marked as being incompatible.

1 hour ago, KnifeFed said:

Yeah, I get that, but having a package manager and a repo containing the essentials (and the potential for community repos) would be worth so much.

Set up a VM or docker container to do these things.  Unraid is not meant to be a Linux OS workstation.  As @Squid said, it's more like a NAS appliance.

5 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Set up a VM or docker container to do these things.  Unraid is not meant to be a Linux OS workstation.  As @Squid said, it's more like a NAS appliance.

I understand your position. It would, however, in my opinion, be a very nice thing to have. NerdPack/DevPack wouldn't exist if there wasn't a desire for something like that. I don't need my server to be a workstation, but I do want it to have a nice SSH experience, e.g. with fish shell, tmux, lf, exa, bat, mcfly etc.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Unraid is not meant to be a Linux OS workstation.  As @Squid said, it's more like a NAS appliance.

I have always been a big advocate of this stance, and doing as much in docker as possible. That said these plugins do provide a few essentials that i would argue should be part of the base system but are not (iotop, screen, tmux, powertop). And gives us the ability to update some minor things out of band with the base os releases.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Squid said:

Just to reiterate a previous comment I made here, but as of this moment I am not expecting NerdPack (or DevPack) to be updated, and when 6.11.0 stable is released this plugin will be marked as being incompatible.

Oh, I guess I missed this comment, the last reply I saw from you seemed to imply dmacias would come through and update this closer to stable because he was good about staying on top of it....

So NerdPack is no longer being kept up to date? Dmacias is just no longer working on it? Would someone be able to adopt the plugin?

As others have stated above me I'm not trying to turn UnRAID into a linux workstation. However there are a number of extremely useful benchmarking, troubleshooting, usability, etc packages provided by NerdPack that people in the community utilize to make their UnRAID experience better.

Other plugins also rely on things provided by NerdPack, like bergware's system temp plugin needs PERL initially to detect sensors and autofan speed requires PERL as well.

So what's our option moving forward, to use /boot/extra and keep our own extra packages updated? Will the warning to use NerdPack be removed from FCP?

Going back over the thread that lead to this plugin LimeTech makes it pretty clear they have zero interest in adding additional command line tools as "most users never drop to the shell" & "everything should be available from the GUI" so I guess we're on our own for additional packages.

Guess I'm going to be learning about how to choose slackware packages for UnRAID. Does UnRAID track a specific slackware release?

EDIT: For anyone else wondering you can check the slackware version with: v

cat /etc/slackware-version

Edited by weirdcrap
words

using ncdu, iftop, iotop, powertop, screen here...

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Unraid is not meant to be a Linux OS workstation.

Sure all applications are in containers, but nerdpack tools are really welcome for management/maintenance of the server itself. As some have mentioned if those tools were part of the OS we wouldn't need it. 

Edited by Kilrah
33 minutes ago, weirdcrap said:

Oh, I guess I missed this comment, the last reply I saw from you seemed to imply dmacias would come through and update this closer to stable because he was good about staying on top of it....

He appears to be unavailable at this time

34 minutes ago, weirdcrap said:

So NerdPack is no longer being kept up to date? Dmacias is just no longer working on it? Would someone be able to adopt the plugin?

If they were to fork the GitHub, they could work on it.  No one in the LT team is available to take on the maintenance for this plugin.  It would be best to get dmacias's permission and have it properly licensed before forking it.

36 minutes ago, weirdcrap said:

Other plugins also rely on things provided by NerdPack, like bergware's system temp plugin needs PERL initially to detect sensors and autofan speed requires PERL as well.

The plugin authors should manage the packages needed for their plugins and not have users do it manually.

We are working on a solution to the system temp and auto fan plugins.

38 minutes ago, weirdcrap said:

So what's our option moving forward, to use /boot/extra and keep our own extra packages updated?

Work with plugin authors to include all the packages required for their plugins.  Added packages you want can be put in the extras/ folder.

40 minutes ago, weirdcrap said:

Can we request some basic stuff to be included in base UnRAID like screen?

You can always ask for a package to be included in base Unraid, but it probably won't be included unless it has wide appeal.

41 minutes ago, weirdcrap said:

suppose I'll have to learn about slackware packages so I can make sure I'm grabbing compatible binaries that don't break my system. One of my servers entire function revolves around SSHFS-FUSE so this has me rather concerned.

It's not hard.  Unraid is Slackware 15, 64 bit.  If you use Slackware 15 pckages, you should have minimal problems.  The forum users will be happy to help if you have issues.

26 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

using ncdu, iftop, iotop, powertop, screen here...

Sure all applications are in containers, but nerdpack tools are really welcome for management/maintenance of the server itself. As some have mentioned if those tools were part of the OS we wouldn't need it. 

Feel free to request any tools you feel are necessary to be included in Unraid.

56 minutes ago, weirdcrap said:

Yeah, actually you're correct -> I mixed up what I posted where and here was that I expected dmacias to return.  A couple of days later I posted elsewhere amd revised that I didn't think it was going to happen

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Is it possible to resume a browser (or even ssh) terminal session from another computer like you can with 'screen'?

I think MOSH would probably fit the bill for SSH: https://mosh.org/

It's been a while since I played with it but I recall being able to pick up sessions from other devices.

But this would have to be installed via /boot/extra and has some dependencies.

Edited by weirdcrap
On 8/10/2022 at 7:01 AM, weirdcrap said:

@dmaciasThe latest version of unRAR supplied is subject to a directory traversal vulnerability:

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2022-30333#vulnCurrentDescriptionTitle

I found a slackware package for 6.1.7 (needs to be >= 6.1.2) so assuming this is usable in UnRAID it should be a simple swap? *SEE EDIT BELOW

https://slackware.pkgs.org/current/slackers/unrar-6.1.7-x86_64-1cf.txz.html

This is unsupported, not recommended by FCP (it will produce a warning on scan), and may break your system but in my testing with the few packages I use it works fine for the time being.

EDIT: I totally misread the CVE version #. It's 6.12 or later not 6.1.2 . So the version I linked above, while newer than what's in NerdPack, still doesn't address that CVE. I can't seem to find a 6.12 version for slackware anywhere? Can anyone else?

you could always just grab unrar latest and install it yourself. on most linux distros as they are always behind on unrar i just install non-free then replace with latest:

wget https://www.rarlab.com/rar/rarlinux-x64-612.tar.gz
tar -xzf rarlinux*.tar.gz
sudo mv rar/unrar /usr/bin/unrar
sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/unrar

are you trying to update unrar for docker? (lsio has already updated, so have a few others now)

49 minutes ago, zoggy said:

you could always just grab unrar latest and install it yourself. on most linux distros as they are always behind on unrar i just install non-free then replace with latest:

wget https://www.rarlab.com/rar/rarlinux-x64-612.tar.gz
tar -xzf rarlinux*.tar.gz
sudo mv rar/unrar /usr/bin/unrar
sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/unrar

are you trying to update unrar for docker? (lsio has already updated, so have a few others now)

No I occasionally use it to unpack archives I have stored on the command line.

Thanks for the link

• Squid unpinned this topic