[DOCKER] unBALANCE

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbalance worked on my first disk I wanted to clear to switch from reiserfs to xfs. But now with my other two drives, it just keeps stopping not too long after it's started. I saw in the thread this could be because of a drive failing, but i did the simple SMART test and they came back fine.

Any ideas of what I could try? Looking at the unbalance log, it doesn't come back with an error it just stops.

The only other thing I see is I thought when i did it on my first disk, it was emptying the space on one drive and filling up the space on the other. Now with my next drive, the GB free isn't increasing on the source disk during the process.

Thanks for your time in developing this and any help you can provide!

Bob

I have experience with command line, just not using rsync. It looks like it's calling diskmv. What exactly can I try?

cyberbobcity, right internally it uses diskmv, which in turn calls rsync.

You can try this ...

In the log file, look for the last line that reads something like

cmd(/usr/bin/diskmv -f .....)

it's the last command unBALANCE is executing.

Try that from the command line and check it's progress.

Note that you may probably have to install diskmv on the server.

Alternatively, do a ps aux | grep rsync, to find out the exact rsync command that's being run.

Then execute it from the command line and monitor it.

Using it for the first time, but looks good so far, it's moving files.

However I'm seeing this on a newly added 4TB drive. http://i.imgur.com/7YvDiRw.jpg I'm not moving to that new drive right now but I need to soon. Scared to try it as is.

Hi GoChris,

If you have just added the drive, unBALANCE won't recognize it.

This is a known issue.

If you add/format a drive, it will not be recognized by unBALANCE unless you reboot the server or restart the docker service (stop all containers, then $ /etc/rc.d/rc.docker restart).

Thanks to derbtv and dnoyeb for their input on this.

Let me know if this is your scenario

@GoChris,

Why dont you just use the procedure provided by LT and use the rsync command to move all of the drive contents.  While unbalance has its place, I would think a straight move over everything would be better.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6#Converting_Drives_from_ReiserFS_to_XFS

In my case, yes this would be more straightforward. Thanks for pointing me to that. I definitely see a use for unBalance still for other tasks.

Using it for the first time, but looks good so far, it's moving files.

However I'm seeing this on a newly added 4TB drive. http://i.imgur.com/7YvDiRw.jpg I'm not moving to that new drive right now but I need to soon. Scared to try it as is.

Hi GoChris,

If you have just added the drive, unBALANCE won't recognize it.

This is a known issue.

If you add/format a drive, it will not be recognized by unBALANCE unless you reboot the server or restart the docker service (stop all containers, then $ /etc/rc.d/rc.docker restart).

Thanks to derbtv and dnoyeb for their input on this.

Let me know if this is your scenario

Confirmed this scenario. Restarted docker and the drive shows properly now, thanks. I'll continue to use this to clear some drives, very nice app, thank you.

Another problem. I'm getting the following error messages in the log, it's still copying data. How do you stop it anyway, turn off the docker? Is that safe to do? After it's done copying, how do I clean up the data on the source disk since it's not removing it, run it again?

rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1183) [sender=3.1.0]

rsync: failed to set times on "/mnt/disk13/.": Operation not permitted (1)

Thanks

Also, it would be handle to have a (un)check all for the To column.

Another problem. I'm getting the following error messages in the log, it's still copying data. How do you stop it anyway, turn off the docker? Is that safe to do? After it's done copying, how do I clean up the data on the source disk since it's not removing it, run it again?

rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1183) [sender=3.1.0]

rsync: failed to set times on "/mnt/disk13/.": Operation not permitted (1)

Thanks

Also, it would be handle to have a (un)check all for the To column.

With regards to the 'failed to set times' error, can you check who owns the files that are hitting the error ... or the error is just for "/mnt/disk13." ?

It seems to be an owner/permission kind of issue.

You could stop the rsync process, but I would advise against it.

When it's done it generates a list of commands it has executed, so you can check which folders were not removed.

Don't run it again to remove the files, as the calculations will very likely be different.

As far as I could tell, all files and folders on the source disk were nobody:users. It ended up "freezing" at a certain spot, somewhat early in the disk migration process. I ended up stopping the docker and using command line to rsync the files over (which didn't go as perfectly as I'd like as it put them into a disk7 folder on disk13 and I had to manually move a bunch of files.

So, I might empty one more drive and try unBalance again. The first 2 drives I did it on went without a hitch.

I'd like as it put them into a disk7 folder on disk13 and I had to manually move a bunch of files.
Be very careful creating folder names that are the same as other shares. It would be much better to name the folder "filesfromdisk7" rather than just "disk7".

Yes well it wasn't on purpose at all ha ha. I didn't intend to have any folder at all, I merely wanted to move the disk contents directly to the root of the target disk.

• 2 weeks later...

ok new problem:

Whenever I tried to move flies from one disk to the next it would move one or two Folders then fail. It did not matter what Folders I chose, what disk I said I would like to or from. Then I came across a thread here where it said it might be down to .AppleDouble files. So I let BlueHarvest (a mac app for removing said flies) run on the share that contained the files I wanted moved. It completed the task.

Then, I hit the move button, and again it locked up the server within seconds. No access. Neither via ssh, telnet, nothing at all.

Any ideas?

Hi sunnyville,

You're getting a kernel fault.

Does it happen with the unBALANCE docker only?

Are you running any other dockers without problems ?

How about the unbalance logs, is there anything out of the ordinary there ?

I'm not sure what the root issue can be, as I haven't had a docker cause a kernel fault on the host.

If there's unbalance logs available before the crash, I'd suggest you try the last diskmv command directly from the command line (look for the last "cmd(...)" line in the log) and see how it works.