[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Plex will now force you to transcode to /config and thus the  problem we where trying to avoid is fixed thus we do not need this mapping anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL my /transcode and /config mappings were pointing to the same folder anyhow since the RAM issue borked the original /transcode idea.

Still didn't work for me--back to Needo I guess!  Did you apply using your template?  If so it defaults back to last source...at least mine did.  Manually put the paths in and 400 error still.

In case anyone has a similar issue in the future I was able to resolve this by removing and recreating my docker.img file.  Works as expected now!

Plex will now force you to transcode to /config and thus the  problem we where trying to avoid is fixed thus we do not need this mapping anymore

Will this be something handled by the update process when that feature is removed? Or will users need to go in and manually un-map the transcode directory when this change takes affect?

Will this be something handled by the update process when that feature is removed? Or will users need to go in and manually un-map the transcode directory when this change takes affect?

I had to unmap mine

I had to unmap mine

What version of PMS are you using, the latest update? I tried removing the mapping after I updated today and plex got pissed and wouldn't play anything that required transcoding. Did you have to change the directory for transcoding in the server interface as well to something other than /transcode? I assumed that since plex would force transcoding to the config directory I wouldn't need to change anything in the server settings besides removing the docker mapping.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

I had to unmap mine

What version of PMS are you using, the latest update? I tried removing the mapping after I updated today and plex got pissed and wouldn't play anything that required transcoding.

I'm running 0.9.16.4

I'm referring to the DOCKER mapping I had for /transcode, not the one under PMS/Server/Transcoder. I've let that one blank so that it just defaults to config has intended.

I had to unmap mine

What version of PMS are you using, the latest update? I tried removing the mapping after I updated today and plex got pissed and wouldn't play anything that required transcoding.

I'm running 0.9.16.4

I'm referring to the DOCKER mapping I had for /transcode, not the one under PMS/Server/Transcoder. I've let that one blank so that it just defaults to config has intended.

I am also on 0.9.16.4. That is probably where my issue is, I had removed the docker mapping but left the mapping to /transcode under PMS/Server/Transcoder as I was fairly certain that was the default value when I first installed PMS.

EDIT: Yes that was indeed my problem, thanks!

I had to unmap mine

I'm running 0.9.16.4

I am also on 0.9.16.4. That is probably where my issue is, I had removed the docker mapping but left the mapping to /transcode under PMS/Server/Transcoder as I was fairly certain that was the default value when I first installed PMS.

EDIT: Yes that was indeed my problem, thanks!

Well done!  8)

For the last couple of weeks the web client has not been able to access the "tower" plex server. I was playing around with additional users around that time to restrict what the kids could see.

The Android app is able to see tower and the kids user ids work fine. I can use Chromecast from the Android app ok as well.

I've tried re-creating my docker and deleting the config directory, but still the same issue.

Interestingly, when I installed a clean image and cleared the "config" directory, the 1st web ui page prompted me to select one of my 3 users. It already knew who I was. How did it do that?

Any pointers on how to get the web client working again? Thanks.

Thinking about switching my dockers over to Linuxserver.io, weird question, is needo development done, as I was setup for his dockers back when all this started, and stuff doesn't really work right anymore, on many of the systems?

Needo's PMS docker works fine. There have been several Plex versions recently (especially Pass early access versions)  that have had problems. When that happens just use the advanced parameters to force a specific known good version until  they fix it.

with the latest plex version it keeps scanning my library over and over using a lot of CPU. anyone else having this issue? the only way to fix it is to restart plex, which only calms it down for a few hours.

Do you have PMS set to generate video preview thumbnails under Settings | Server | Library?  This could be causing your high CPU usage.

So does that mean that there is no way to set the transcode directory to memory (i.e. /tmp)? 

I have been debating switching from ESXi to bare metal, and that is something I'd love to keep since it reduces wear on my SSDs...

How does one find out the full number for a previous plex version.  On the Plex download page (https://plex.tv/downloads/1/archive) they list the version number i.e. 0.9.16.4 and a date.  However, the docker seems to need a version in the format of "0.9.12.16.1509-8e31408".  Where can I find the rest of the version number?

Here is a quick video showing how to get the full version number

So does that mean that there is no way to set the transcode directory to memory (i.e. /tmp)? 

I have been debating switching from ESXi to bare metal, and that is something I'd love to keep since it reduces wear on my SSDs...

It's forced by plex not by us. We just adapted our config

Hi Lonix,

I feel I should clarify this, Plex removed the ability to set the transcoding temp directory via environment variable, not the ability altogether. Users can still change the advanced Transcoder temporary directory preference via Plex Web.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250347-Transcoder

That link is old and might not reflect current status. I know it's old because the second screenshot shows "Allow higher bitrate over 3G". This option was removed from recent plex server versions as it is considered obsolete now.

The age of the link may or may not validate your position, but I think something more recent must be found / communicated before we take it as fact.

I asked and got a response from a Plex "Ninja" about it:

I got the answer that the change of transcoding directory as such will not be removed or altered, but the idea of putting the transcoding director for Plex in a RAM wasn't a good one. The output of a transcoding session can be quite large. if it fills your RAM - kernel will start killing things (but this I'm sure you already know). So I'm under the impression that there might be some sort of misunderstanding. That Plex doesn't want their software to use initramfs (as in Unraid) and possibly not even tmpfs, so that will be limited, but the actual change the location to another disk will be kept.