[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

8 minutes ago, NRBP5 said:

Question: Is it possible to add to my library a folder on a different server that is on the same physical home network?

Yep.  I haven't done it, but you can use the "Unassigned Devices" plugin to add a remote share to Unraid (it'll walk you through a wizard to make the connection).  You can then edit your Plex docker to add this share so that Plex can see it.  Finally, in Plex, just add it to an existing library, or create a new library as normal.

36 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

Yep.  I haven't done it, but you can use the "Unassigned Devices" plugin to add a remote share to Unraid (it'll walk you through a wizard to make the connection).  You can then edit your Plex docker to add this share so that Plex can see it.  Finally, in Plex, just add it to an existing library, or create a new library as normal.

Thank you for the answer!
I'm happy that its actually possible to do :) 

1 hour ago, NRBP5 said:

Hello,
Question: Is it possible to add to my library a folder on a different server that is on the same physical home network? 
So I have a server "A" and I ran out of physical space to put hard drives, so what I thought was to just add a DIY Nas (server "B") just for storage and add a folder to my library on server "A" 
Is this possible?
Will I have issues?
Has anyone done this?

I haven’t tried this but it should be possible to share a folder on server B and mount it in Unraid using Unassigned Devices plugin. Then map the path to the mounted share in the docker container using RW Slave. You would want to test this though. Playback might have issues for high bandwidth videos.

New Plex user here - with a guide update problem.

My setup:

HDhomerun - with antenna

Apple TV with Plex App

Problem:  Channels are mapped correctly.  However, my channel guide goes blank (no programs shown) and does not update.  (Channels can still be tuned)  The only way to recover it to manually update the channel guide in the Plex webpage, and force restart the Apple TV plex app.

Is there a way to make this automatic, without the manual update?  (I'm looking at the DVR subscription, but if the guide requires a manual update, I'll look at Channels DVR.)

Am I missing something simple?  Thanks!

Thanks so much for responding - my options are slightly different, since I'm not signed up for DVR.  I also posted on a Plex forum but didn't get a response.    

I may just sign up for the paid service for a month or so and see if the guide data is more consistent. 

My Plex server is scanning for new shows and films in a daily basis and for hours.

When I put new content, it doesn't show up after many hours to the server.

Unraid logs says nothing as the Plex docker logs, I don't know where to try to find more info to see why it is always scanning...

1 hour ago, Zotarios said:

I don't know where to try to find more info to see why it is always scanning...

in your plex server logs, located in your appdata dir or in your webui (but hard to read)

then i would ask in the plex forums with the proper logs

On 8/27/2024 at 11:29 AM, Zotarios said:

My Plex server is scanning for new shows and films in a daily basis and for hours.

When I put new content, it doesn't show up after many hours to the server.

Unraid logs says nothing as the Plex docker logs, I don't know where to try to find more info to see why it is always scanning...

What interval do you have your settings (Plex | Library | Scan Interval) configured?  Mine is set to 'daily', but I also have the automatic scan and partial scans (the first two options) checked.   Check the advanced settings as well, in case something in there may be causing delays and constant scans.  I have 'Run scanner at lower priority' checked.   When I add new content, it shows up within a few seconds and scanning doesn't continue.

Edited by ATEglauer
6 hours ago, ATEglauer said:

What interval do you have your settings (Plex | Library | Scan Interval) configured?

Daily, with automatic and partial scans checked, as you do.

Scanner at low priority too.

It has always worked as expected: when new media is added it detects it, integrates to Plex and then looks for intro credits and stuff. But now, every day during the afternoon, full scan that takes hours and hours. Full scans have never taken that long and logs tell that it only takes 7 seconds so... I don't know what's causing that behaviour

I have Plex application directory mounted on my cache. I've ben running this way for many years. Starting around late July usage started increasing and slowly starving my cache over time. It seems it's the `/mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Media` directory that's consuming the space. It's always been large but has remained static or very slow growth over the years. It's now up to 130GB for that one subdirectory alone. I'm about the create a new share for that one directory and have it bypass the cache to get some relief. I'm still gathering some data to see if I can find more information. Not 100% sure it's this one directory.

23 minutes ago, snowboardjoe said:

Starting around late July usage started increasing and slowly starving my cache over time. It seems it's the `/mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Media` directory that's consuming the space. It's always been large but has remained static or very slow growth over the years. It's now up to 130GB for that one

Plex introduced Thumbnails, Chapters, Intro / outtro ... etc ...

which is stored there ... and consuming alot of activity always ...

may take a look at these settings and decide ...

image.thumb.png.045802b849e79fb9685694d973ba978a.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have this is my Plex docker log:

Starting Plex Media Server. . . (you can ignore the libusb_init error)
[migrations] started
[migrations] no migrations found
usermod: no changes
───────────────────────────────────────

██╗     ███████╗██╗ ██████╗
      ██║     ██╔════╝██║██╔═══██╗
      ██║     ███████╗██║██║   ██║
      ██║     ╚════██║██║██║   ██║
      ███████╗███████║██║╚██████╔╝
      ╚══════╝╚══════╝╚═╝ ╚═════╝

Brought to you by linuxserver.io

To support LSIO projects visit:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/

GID/UID

User UID:    99
User GID:    100
Linuxserver.io version: 1.41.0.8992-8463ad060-ls235
Build-date: 2024-09-12T11:27:40+00:00

**** Server already claimed ****
Docker is used for versioning skip update check
[custom-init] No custom files found, skipping...
[ls.io-init] done.
Critical: libusb_init failed

image.thumb.png.cfc6282d58da13854cd631e2fa8a350d.png

And now I can't access my media.

Plex says: XXXX is currently unavailable
image.png.a19a7c49548b76ee55bce049f392f879.png

I've restarted the container but it didn't help.

Hi everyone!

I've tried searching the forums but I couldn't find anything that matches my problem. It seems like my LSIO Plex docker container may have a memory leak or something. Whenever I am HW transcoding, the overlay filesystem fills up really fast. I have mapped the transcode directory to a 5GB ramdisk in the /tmp directory, which is working as expecting. I have also limited the Plex container itself to 4GB, but it never goes over 3GB of use anyway. Using the command

watch df -h

I can see the expected behavior on the transcode ramdisk, which cleans itself up when it hits 50% usage. Monitoring processes via Glances, I don't see anything that's using RAM except the Plex container, which again never goes over 3GB. Despite all of this, only while Plex is HW transcoding, the /lib and /usr directories start filling up and never stop. What could be causing this behavior? See below for df -h output:

Every 2.0s: df -h                                                            Tower: Fri Sep 13 14:27:58 2024

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs           16G   16G     0 100% /
tmpfs           128M  9.8M  119M   8% /run
/dev/sda1        60G  1.1G   59G   2% /boot
overlay          16G   16G     0 100% /lib
overlay          16G   16G     0 100% /usr
devtmpfs        8.0M     0  8.0M   0% /dev
tmpfs            16G     0   16G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           128M  600K  128M   1% /var/log
tmpfs           5.0G  2.6G  2.5G  52% /tmp/plex-ramdisk
/dev/md1p1      3.7T  3.0T  689G  82% /mnt/disk1
/dev/md2p1      3.7T  3.0T  693G  82% /mnt/disk2