[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

1 hour ago, bondoo0 said:

Having a problem with the "webui link" from dashboard or docker page.  I have my network set to none, and my docker is assigned an IP ending in 48 (unraid is 198).  I had this working with a config setting until the last update or 2, but now I don't see anywhere to set this.  

If the link is going to the unraid IP when you click it, you should post this in the 6.4 forum (I assume you use the RC?) 

I don't remember now if unraid knows which IP is given to the the container or not, but it might be something @bonienl needs to impement.

19 minutes ago, saarg said:

If the link is going to the unraid IP when you click it, you should post this in the 6.4 forum (I assume you use the RC?) 

I don't remember now if unraid knows which IP is given to the the container or not, but it might be something @bonienl needs to impement.

The link is going to the unraid IP, I would be surprised if unraid knows which IP goes to the container, since I think with macvlan there is no communication between the host and docker, but I could be wrong.  I'm actually on 6.3.5, so not one of the RC's.

I'm thinking it is something with the docker template (maybe), since the only system change was getting the updated version of the docker.  Here's a link about where it used to be, which is under docker config advanced settings,  Either way, it's not a big issue, since the docker works fine, Just annoying when I try to use the built in link. 

The link is going to the unraid IP, I would be surprised if unraid knows which IP goes to the container, since I think with macvlan there is no communication between the host and docker, but I could be wrong.  I'm actually on 6.3.5, so not one of the RC's.

I'm thinking it is something with the docker template (maybe), since the only system change was getting the updated version of the docker.  Here's a link about where it used to be, which is under docker config advanced settings,  Either way, it's not a big issue, since the docker works fine, Just annoying when I try to use the built in link. 

Edit the container settings, open advanced view and you'll see the field for web ui. Plug the ip in there
1 minute ago, aptalca said:
54 minutes ago, bondoo0 said:

Edit the container settings, open advanced view and you'll see the field for web ui. Plug the ip in there

I don't see that under advanced view, with the latest version of the docker,   The only thing there is container path.Capture.JPG.c2145b1cdb7ae03e5d4930a40bdcb9aa.JPG

16 hours ago, bondoo0 said:

Found it, it's the advanced view (not advanced settings) accessed by the slider in the top left of the screen, then just update the URL there

Yeah, there really needs to be a different wording for "Advanced View" and "Advanced Settings"

I think the toggle at the top should be changed to "Expert View" to differentiate the two.

13 minutes ago, trurl said:

Diagnostics?

Well, woops, botched the file attachment on the first post.  Hadn't realized that before reboot.  So, would a post-reboot diagnostics help since, I see unRAID still overwrites system logs rather than making a copy upon reboot.

If they're still of help, let me know, as I prefer to not have full serial numbers in the logs (which I just realized it shares even when anonymized).

4 hours ago, grandprix said:

I prefer to not have full serial numbers in the logs

Genuinely curious here. Why? Are you afraid someone might find out if your drives are still in warranty?

What about the serial numbers can be linked to you?

If you present a good case where serial numbers should not be freely shared, I'm sure we can get them partially obfuscated in the anonymize script.

On 8/31/2017 at 9:09 PM, saarg said:

Yes, unRAID knows which IP address is used by a container. This is automatically updated, but the reference to the webGUI needs to be correctly specified:

http://[IP]:[PORT:xxxx]

The port number 'xxxx' is also set automatically when the appropriate setting is updated using the "Edit" button.

7 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Genuinely curious here. Why? Are you afraid someone might find out if your drives are still in warranty?

What about the serial numbers can be linked to you?

If you present a good case where serial numbers should not be freely shared, I'm sure we can get them partially obfuscated in the anonymize script.

I didn't make a request for them not to be.  My business is my own as to why I'd rather they not be displayed.  I would have taken you seriously if you weren't a smart ass about it in your rhetorical question.  But so seems to be the trend here in these forums anymore.  So many abrasive replies to those with questions, concerns, etc.  A sense of entitlement almost.  I really do miss how things were 7 years ago, but alas, those days are seemingly done.

Keep in mind, I've demonstrated no less respect in my reply than I was extended in yours.

2 minutes ago, grandprix said:

I didn't make a request for them not to be.  My business is my own as to why I'd rather they not be displayed.  I would have taken you seriously if you weren't a smart ass about it in your rhetorical question.  But so seems to be the trend here in these forums anymore.  So many abrasive replies to those with questions, concerns, etc.  A sense of entitlement almost.  I really do miss how things were 7 years ago, but alas, those days are seemingly done.

Keep in mind, I've demonstrated no less respect in my reply than I was extended in yours.

Sorry if this comes off wrong also, and maybe I missed other things that have transpired, but at least part of jonathanm's post wasn't rhetorical.

Maybe the anonymizer can be improved, but there are a lot of things in the logs. Some of it seems benign to me and others here, and apparently there are others that disagree.

I'm not sure if its just me but Plex docker on RC7a, is SUPER slow to actually play back media.

I've set my drives to never spin down so it should be always accessible. 

On my PMP back clicking play, it goes black for a good 5-6 seconds (maybe longer) before the media plays back. Yes it has to transcode.

But on my old Synology box, with Plex as an app on a separate drive to media, it would play back in about 1 second, same transcode settings, same network.

Wondering if this is normal?

Its a Xeon E3-1245V6

32gb Ram

2x 500GB Samsung SSD's (Cahce)

3x 8tb Seagate 8TB NAS drives

Are there any specific logs I should/could attach to see if there is something we can do?

I didn't interpret his reply as sarcastic at all. I do have the same genuine questions. Is there a reason I should be worried about sharing the drive serial numbers? If so, (as jonathanm suggested) the anonymizer can be modified to redact those as well (it already redacts a bunch of personal info). None of us want to post personal identifiable info online in this day and age. If not, we understand it's your personal decision and it's cool.
3 hours ago, grandprix said:

I would have taken you seriously if you weren't a smart ass about it in your rhetorical question. 

Dude. Seriously. CHILL. I meant no offence, and was trying NOT to be a smart alec. I stated the only possible reason I could think of that drive serial numbers would be remotely sensitive, and you seem to think I was attacking you. I was asking a serious question, and got attacked in return.

You say your reasons are private, that's fine, I was just trying to figure out if the anonymizer could be improved to help people be more comfortable posting their diagnostics, which are imperative to troubleshooting many issues.

The internet is sometimes difficult to read someone's tone, and I apologize if you interpreted what I asked as improper.

I will refrain from trying to help in the future.

• Upvote 2
Just now, CHBMB said:

I was actually interested to hear the reasons

As was I

6 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

anonymizer could be improved

Personally, since I don't see any reason why to hide drive serial numbers, I really hope that the anonymizer doesn't start doing this.  It would be rather hard to analyze a log and tell someone that I think there's a problem with a drive's serial number starting with "W" and ending in "5". 

But what's done is done

3 hours ago, grandprix said:

But so seems to be the trend here in these forums anymore.  So many abrasive replies to those with questions, concerns, etc.

There's only one user that I can think of who's rare replies is abrasive / sarcastic.  And, that's just the type of person that he is.  My feelings is that the forum at large is always helpful (or tries to be) even with the most simple or repetitive questions.  If you believe that these forums are abrasive, then I'd say hang out for awhile in the FreeNAS forums. 

The only way that I see that it could possibly be considered abrasive / curt / whatnot is that it is more common nowadays to simply reply to questions / concerns / whatnot with a link and no explanation because the link (quite often to one of the FAQ) explains and/or answers the question already.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

FWIW I was actually interested to hear the reasons and thought jonathanm asked a serious question, I didn't take his tone to be anything other than genuinely interested,  I don't feel that reply was warranted imho.

I agree, I don't see anything that was rhetorical or unpleasant in the reply that johnathonm posted. Further to that I would add that he shouldn't stop posting - I feel this was a case of misunderstanding in text form. Easily done! 

With regards to the question at hand, re serial numbers I can see value to why they're included in diagnostics - in terms of pointing to a specific drive that has issues. I'm curious too why you'd prefer they were obfuscated in logs, not from a critical point of view - but purely because it's only through reasoned debate that these things can be improved. ?

I'm not done replying, there's no reason to run away with the ball back home. 

"Why? Are you afraid someone might find out if your drives are still in warranty?".   --  I can see no other suggested inflection/tone but sarcasm.  That, or he genuinely believes I care if others find out any remaining warranty.  My reasons are my own, I made no attempt to shove my reasons down anyone's throat.  However, lets expand on that, since warranty was brought up.  RMA status which may or may not provide a city/state and/or tracking number for a return on an RMA.  Honestly, I hadn't given the "warranty" approach much thought, as I just would never want to share my serial number to begin with.  Now, if you personally asked for diagnostics, I wouldn't bother anonymizing.

But again, let me stress, I did not make, demand, etc. that they be removed by the utility.  I simply made a statement, that, if a post-reboot diagnostics was still useful, then to trurl to let me know, as I didn't want my serial numbers shared.  Meaning, I would then, if post-reboot diagnostics were useful, run the diagnostics, obscure the serial numbers (and MAC ID's, as those are in there as well), then provide them.  But as you can imagine, it takes a bit of work, thus time, in case he were standing by looking for them to be posted.

I do hope this shines a little light on a subject that, I really didn't think I'd talk about.  If I were perturbed about -anything- it would definitely be that system logs are -still- overwritten, to which, I really cannot figure out.  Upon start-up (not shutdown as there may not always be a proper shutdown), rename system.log to system.lo2 or something.  Seems so relatively simple of a task, which I'd think would be helpful.  If this already exists, then it's not being included in the diagnostics, that I saw, and I went through every file quite diligently.  However, ALL this really isn't a linuxserver.io support issue, so my apologies.  Though I did want to give a response out of respect to those with replies based off what transpired.

** As to the issue I had.  I simply went to apps, selected linuxserver.io "plex" to install, and used a "my" template.  It was a chance yes, but, it was the only post that I could find in regards to missing or orphaned containers/images.  It seems to have done the job just fine.

17 minutes ago, grandprix said:

"Why? Are you afraid someone might find out if your drives are still in warranty?".   --  I can see no other suggested inflection/tone but sarcasm.  That, or he genuinely believes I care if others find out any remaining warranty.  My reasons are my own, I made no attempt to shove my reasons down anyone's throat.  However, lets expand on that, since warranty was brought up.  RMA status which may or may not provide a city/state and/or tracking number for a return on an RMA.  Honestly, I hadn't given the "warranty" approach much thought, as I just would never want to share my serial number to begin with.  Now, if you personally asked for diagnostics, I wouldn't bother anonymizing.

I disagree with the assessment of @jonathanm's inflection, and he did quantify why he was asking by suggesting if there was a good reason then changes could be made to mitigate this.  And he did ask what data can be inferred from them.  

I also couldn't understand why you didn't want to post drive serial numbers and wondered why you cared about people knowing about your warranty status.

And several of us were also interested to here your reply so that indicates it's a valid question.

I can actually see your point in terms of privacy and not one I had considered previously but personally I think you owe @jonathanm an apology imho.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

I disagree with the assessment of @jonathanm's inflection, and he did quantify why he was asking by suggesting if there was a good reason then changes could be made to mitigate this.  And he did ask what data can be inferred from them.  

I also couldn't understand why you didn't want to post drive serial numbers and wondered why you cared about people knowing about your warranty status.

And several of us were also interested to here your reply so that indicates it's a valid question.

I can actually see your point in terms of privacy and not one I had considered previously but personally I think you owe @jonathanm an apology imho.

I do agree.

For the record I'm very pro-privacy and my post earlier wasn't meant to be inflammatory - just curious which I think was the point of @jonathanm .

If you've spotted a privacy shortfall that has otherwise been overlooked then every user of unRAID stands to benefit from its disclosure.

Edited by jack0w
2 hours ago, grandprix said:

Upon start-up (not shutdown as there may not always be a proper shutdown), rename system.log to system.lo2 or something.  Seems so relatively simple of a task, which I'd think would be helpful. 

Logs are in RAM so don't survive a reboot. What device do you think should be constantly written to instead? Fix Common Problems plugin will periodically save logs to flash if a user thinks it is warranted.

Whatever the intentions were I think this Plex docker thread needs to move on.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, SavellM said:

I'm not sure if its just me but Plex docker on RC7a, is SUPER slow to actually play back media.

I've set my drives to never spin down so it should be always accessible. 

On my PMP back clicking play, it goes black for a good 5-6 seconds (maybe longer) before the media plays back. Yes it has to transcode.

But on my old Synology box, with Plex as an app on a separate drive to media, it would play back in about 1 second, same transcode settings, same network.

Wondering if this is normal?

Its a Xeon E3-1245V6

32gb Ram

2x 500GB Samsung SSD's (Cahce)

3x 8tb Seagate 8TB NAS drives

Are there any specific logs I should/could attach to see if there is something we can do?

Now that you all finished your fight, can anyone help me?

I timed it this morning and it was actually over 10 seconds to start playing.