unRAID Server Release 6.2.0-beta20 Available

Still having the “auto-start array issue” with my Main server, brings up the registration page and the array is stopped. Disk settings has Enable auto start set to Yes.

However, beta 20 fixed same problem for my Backup server and my Test server newer had the problem...

Your attached diagnostics are from 6.2-beta19, are you sure you updated it to beta20?

I have found that the CPU core speeds are now not being shown since updating to b20, they were shown correctly in b19?

I assume you read the earlier posts about CPU speed display?  You need to provide more info, such as your diagnostics, and perhaps screen captures from both beta19 and beta20 for comparison.

I have just found that I can't download a diagnostic file, I click on the Download button on the Diagnosic page, which then changes to Downloading. The page refreshes but it has not downloade a zip file?

I have tried Firefox, Chrome and IE and they all perfrom the same?

I have just found that I can't download a diagnostic file, I click on the Download button on the Diagnosic page, which then changes to Downloading. The page refreshes but it has not downloade a zip file?

Do you have your server name and ip whitelisted in any and all antivirus, firewall, or adblock or other browser addons?

You can instead try running the

diagnostics

command from a console/telnet session.    If that completes OK, then the diagnostics file will be in the 'logs' folder on the USB drive and can that can be accessed via the 'flash' share.

Still having the “auto-start array issue” with my Main server, brings up the registration page and the array is stopped. Disk settings has Enable auto start set to Yes.

However, beta 20 fixed same problem for my Backup server and my Test server newer had the problem...

Your attached diagnostics are from 6.2-beta19, are you sure you updated it to beta20?

Sorry, I didn’t notice that it the server wasn’t updated. Probably I got distracted and messed it up and rebooted before installing the update! It’s now updated to beta 20 and everything looks fine...

Just tested this and is working fine for me. The usual suspect in these circumstances is an anti-virus program.

also my cpu cores are in seperate fields now. before and after pics attached. is that new??

Yes, it's now shown as "thread pairs" instead of sequentially listing each core, two-per-row.  If you don't have hyperthreading (or disabled it) then you'll see one core per row otherwise you'll see the two threads that physically make up a cpu core per row.

This is awesome.  So I have had my thread pairs wrong all along and assigned them improperly to my VMs thinking that 0 and 1 were the same core.  Thank you for this.

Anyone tried the context-sensitive help, is it useful?

Can you give an example page...  It all looks the same to me as before

Hover your mouse over certain areas and a question mark will show.  Then left click and the help will turn on for that item.

Go to any of the settings pages and move your mouse over a setting description, it should turn the mouse pointer into 'help', and when clicking the specific setting then associated help is displayed. Clicking again will make the help disappear.

Ps. dlandlon types faster than me  ;)

Ps2. context-sensitive help is also available on the main and shares page. Hover your mouse over the table header to see it.

Go to any of the settings pages and move your mouse over a setting description, it should turn the mouse pointer into 'help', and when clicking the specific setting then associated help is displayed. Clicking again will make the help disappear.

Ps. dlandlon types faster than me  ;)

Kinda neat.  Not quite sure if any user will notice it however.

But, what I like is that it doesn't require any changes to the existing help system.  ie:  It works on CA's settings  (but not within CA itself due to where I placed the help text [not for any specific item, but rather for the page as a whole])

The context-sensitive help indeed doesn't require any changes to the current help system. It is made smart enough to find the associated help for an item, but it isn't smart enough for CA. ;)

Ps. if finding help isn't that obvious, are there any ideas on how to improve that?

The context-sensitive help indeed doesn't require any changes to the current help system. It is made smart enough to find the associated help for an item, but it isn't smart enough for CA. ;)

Ps. if finding help isn't that obvious, are there any ideas on how to improve that?

Doesn't work within CA itself (outside of its settings) because of where I put the help text (and its all because too much going on that CA's help text just links to a manual)

As for how to find it better, what about a tool-tip in addition to changing the cursor

root@Media:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/*/topology/thread_siblings_list | sort -nu                        

ill take a look at that

Basically for those with hyper threaded systems (really didn't think there were any systems without hyperthreading these days), it pairs the real-core with the hyperthreaded-core so you get a better idea as to what's happening on your system. It also helps immensely on CPU Pinning if you're running Dockers or VMs.

Previously it was too difficult to really know what was going on in your system or why running a VM with 2 CPU cores of 0 and 1 would severly impact a VM with 2 CPU cores of 2 and 3. The typical reason for that is that CPUs 0 and 2 would likely be from the same physical core, and CPU 1 and 3 would be from the other same physical core as well. To have a better Docker/VM experience, one would need to setup the first VM to use CPU core 0 and 2, and the other VM to use CPU core 1 and 3.

On that point of pairing hyperthreaded core with real core, is there any performance advantage to be had? I had serious issues with latency prior to the 6.2 beta that enabling hyper-v has fixed so haven't bothered pinning paired cores in the VMs.

Getting ready to install 6.2.0-beta 20

From

Re: unRAID Server Release 6.2.0-beta18 Available posting

Dual Parity

Assigning a second parity disk

Stop the array

Navigate to the Main tab

Assign a new storage device to the Parity 2 disk slot (must be equal to or larger than your largest data disk

Start the array

A parity sync will begin automatically after starting the array with a new storage device assigned to the Parity 2 slot.

Does the system automatically assign the slot for parity #2 or can I pick which slot I want to use ?

I prefer to assign the slot/tray I can then choose one directly connected to the MB PCI slot which I assume will be faster

Should I assign all my data disks with a new config prior to installing the beta or can i do a new config at the same time ?

Does the system automatically assign the slot for parity #2 or can I pick which slot I want to use ?

I prefer to assign the slot/tray I can then choose one directly connected to the MB PCI slot which I assume will be faster

Should I assign all my data disks with a new config prior to installing the beta or can i do a new config at the same time ?

There is no relation between physical slots and logical slot assignments, at all.  unRAID locates the drives by their serial numbers no matter where you have them installed.  If you want to associate your physical slots with your drive assignments, you can, but unRAID doesn't care.

Getting ready to install 6.2.0-beta 20

From

Re: unRAID Server Release 6.2.0-beta18 Available posting

Dual Parity

Assigning a second parity disk

Stop the array

Navigate to the Main tab

Assign a new storage device to the Parity 2 disk slot (must be equal to or larger than your largest data disk

Start the array

A parity sync will begin automatically after starting the array with a new storage device assigned to the Parity 2 slot.

You are  actually choosing the disk by assigning a disk by ITS serial number as parity 2.  So the physical location and where it is connected to the SATA controller(s) is determined by how you connect it or the slot in the housing where you put it.