Preclear plugin

@Helmonder

Already removed and reinstalled the plugin. Still "Starting..."  :(

I also rebooted the Server two times...

The server is freshly installed two days ago... Running the Trial so far. Did not start any array for the moment...

If you can, please open a browser session, a SSH/Telnet session and send me a TeamViewer Remote Session by PM.

If you can, please open a browser session, a SSH/Telnet session and send me a TeamViewer Remote Session by PM.

That's awesome support ! Kudos !

It wasn't a script error; the disk was assigned to the array and showed as missing; Unassigned Devices showed the disk but the script refused to clear it, since it's serial number was still in super.dat.

Not always we have the time, but today I had a few minutes to take a look into this.

That's awesome support ! Kudos !

It wasn't a script error; the disk was assigned to the array and showed as missing; Unassigned Devices showed the disk but the script refused to clear it, since it's serial number was still in super.dat.

Not always we have the time, but today I had a few minutes to take a look into this.

Thank you so much!!! Now I'm understanding the unRAID System better :) My Problem was this little "test" with mounting an existing ext4 as an array(Don't do it ::)): https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43593.msg538450#msg538450

I posted the fix at the end.

For me it's a fresh start with unRAID, so no Problem :) Im looking forward to unRAID Pro now ;)

How do I permanently opt out of :

Preclear Disks
Install Statistics Plugin

This plugin is used to send statistics anonymously using Google Forms and TOR.
Don't worry, you will be asked before sending every report.

so that it is not installed by mistake?

Is this working on 6.3.2?  I just put in a 5 in 3 cage and it I can see the drives in unassigned devices but when I click preclear nothing happens.

When I go to the tools menu and click preclear I get this with the spinning animation.

Please wait... retrieving information!

Thanks

I uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin per another thread and that worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick update. 

The continuous preclear I was running from the motherboard SATA failed.  After running flawlessly for 2 days.

Memtest again, and if finally failed after 4 passes.

Right now I am testing the dimms one at a time.  First one has completed 11 passes in 16 hours without issues... think I will let it go for about 36-48 before testing the second dimm.

Some users including me that had this discovered they had bad RAM. Please do a memtest immediately!

Good call trurl, thanks for the heads up on this one!

I was hoping this would be a quick one to track down...   

Each stick has passed a solo memtest for aprox 36 hours and 25 passes in slot 1 on the motherboard.

Guess my next step is to try them in slot 3 the other slot that was originally occupied. 

Luckily I had enough hardware to throw together a temporary server while I deal with this.  Although I am running out of drive capacity, and not enough space in the other case to accommodate the drive I was originally trying to preclear...  ticktock, ticktock

Hi, can you please check this out : 

It should have been posted here to begin with I guess. ^^

Edit: Is there any way to increase verbosity on dd ? Looking at the script real quick it looks like all errors should be logged already but it's quite a large script/voodoo magic spell, I wouldn't want to edit anything half-assedly and screw with my data.

Edited by kyis
  • trurl featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic
7 hours ago, kyis said:

Hi, can you please check this out : 

It should have been posted here to begin with I guess. ^^

Edit: Is there any way to increase verbosity on dd ? Looking at the script real quick it looks like all errors should be logged already but it's quite a large script/voodoo magic spell, I wouldn't want to edit anything half-assedly and screw with my data.

After fumbling around a bit with moderation on the new platform, I have merged the topic. I agree it should have been here in the first place instead of "Storage Devices and Controllers".

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, trurl said:

Have you done a memtest?

That was the next step, I'm rerunning a clear before that to see if it was a fluck or if it consistently fails on just one write.

Edit: Exact same result, 2MB not written or failed, can't tell. I won't upload the log, it's identical to the previous one.

I wonder if it might be an "off by 1" kind of error somewhere in the math, 2MB is the value of the sb parameter of dd, it might be used somewhere else.

Edit: Memtest done no errors... I'm stumped

Edit: Finally caught what I was looking for, I edited the script so the -t option would run over 1TB and I monitored dd_output, I got this amongst the normal output:

dd: warning: partial read (1126400 bytes); suggest iflag=fullblock

Added the flag inside the function write_disk(), clearing and praying (already past the point where the message was showing up).

Edited by kyis

I have a question and hopefully not a problem.  I have had my unraid setup for about a year and so far I haven't really had any problems with preclearing drives.  Last week I purchased 2 seagate 8tb drives.  The last time I precleared a 8tb drive with no issues, I used a usb 3 drive enclosure, used unassigned devices and the preclear plugin to get that drive ready (it took a while but it worked, I don't have any free slots in my small server, thats why I went with the enclosure).   So when i got my 2 drives, I tried the same thing (not both at the same time)  The first disk I tried started up the 1st step of the pre-read process, it got to 35% and the status update pop up I get when I click on the preview eye icon stopped updating.  I let it sit over night and none of the counters incremented any further, not the percentage or the time counter, but I could still see the activity light on the enclosure blinking.  I went to work, giving it another 12 hours, and when I got back home, the status was still at the same spot.  I figured it was hung, so I canceled the process.   

I then decided I was going to try the other drive, I started that up and let it do its thing.  I kept an eye on the preview pop window.  I left it open so I could glance at it whenever i was near my computer.  it was slowly cruising along, until yesterday morning,  It has not progressed any further than 58% this time on the first step and the activity light is blinking away, I don't have any of my other dockers turned on, after the first hang.  I did some searches and found some threads that mentioned memory being maxed out may cause some issues.  (I have 8GB and 6.9 are available)  With nothing running except just unraid and the preclear script "running"  so I don't think its a memory issue, I also noticed that my Avg cpu load is hovering around 30% and I can see my cores being used,  one is at a 100% and the other 3 have a couple of %'s and they rotate around in usage.  my memory usage is around 15%, Normally with nothing running and the machine just sitting idle those numbers are a lot lower.  

So to me it looks like something is running, when I ran the top command in a shell window the preclear process is at the very top of the list 

top - 15:14:25 up 2 days,  9:29,  2 users,  load average: 2.99, 2.97, 2.99
Tasks: 291 total,   2 running, 288 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie
%Cpu(s): 27.0 us,  1.7 sy,  0.0 ni, 47.1 id, 23.9 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.3 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem :  7068476 total,  3234124 free,   173188 used,  3661164 buff/cache
KiB Swap:        0 total,        0 free,        0 used.  5967988 avail Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
 7949 root      20   0   15892   6688   1624 R 100.0  0.1   1286:18 preclear_disk.s

I am not sure where to go from here, is there a log to see, if its really doing something in the background, I updated everything before I started to try to preclear the disks,  If there is any info you need from me please let me know, I feel like I should kill the process, but I don't want to if its really running in the background.  I don't want to loose any progress just in case its really running and not hung.  I am open to any other options that may be out there

Thanks in advance, 

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
 7949 root      20   0   15892   6688   1624 R  99.7  0.1   1311:18 preclear_disk.s

Edited by chepnut

I noticed it had a zombie process, ran this command 

ps axo stat,ppid,pid,comm | grep -w defunct

and it was the preclear process, I killed the pid, so looks like I am back to square one.  If anybody can maybe give me some tips on where to look for the log to see where it was or what it was doing, that would be awesome

Thanks

On 2/18/2017 at 6:34 PM, wgstarks said:

After updating to 2017.02.16a I'm seeing this in the UD section of Main-

Warning: array_filter() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/assets/lib.php on line 83.

Uninstalled the preclear plugin and the warning disappeared, but came right back when I reinstalled.

Diagnostics

Anyone have any ideas. Not sure if this is something serious. Should I uninstall the preclear plugin until this problem is addressed?

16 minutes ago, trurl said:

Update unRAID

Wish I could. Apparently there is some incompatibility between 6.2+ and some SuperMicro motherboards and/or Intel CPU's. https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/53728-server-no-longer-boots-into-624-only-619/

It is my understanding that CA will prevent installation of plugins that aren't compatible with the installed version of unRAID?

Is there some way to revert to the previous version of this plugin?

Just now, wgstarks said:

Wish I could. Apparently there is some incompatibility between 6.2+ and some SuperMicro motherboards and/or Intel CPU's. https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/53728-server-no-longer-boots-into-624-only-619/

It is my understanding that CA will prevent installation of plugins that aren't compatible with the installed version of unRAID?

Is there some way to revert to the previous version of this plugin?

I don't know if a previous version is available for download. If you have a backup of an old version of the .plg file you could just put it in your config/plugins folder.

And of course, there are preclear script(s) you can use like we used to do before we had the plugin.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

I don't know if a previous version is available for download. If you have a backup of an old version of the .plg file you could just put it in your config/plugins folder.

And of course, there are preclear script(s) you can use like we used to do before we had the plugin.

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The plugin author sets the max and min version levels, CA doesn't do that.

Thanks. I may just uninstall this until these issues are addressed then. I've got an 8TB drive in hot standby so probably won't need to preclear anything soon. Hopefully I'll get the issue with current versions of unRAID resolved by then and this will all be moot anyway.

• Squid unpinned this topic