[support] dlandon - Zoneminder 1.36

26 minutes ago, dyker said:

Looks like you've already assigned port 8080 to another Docker.

time="2018-08-26T08:38:47.972990546-04:00" level=error msg="Handler for POST /containers/7a70384e6a06/start returned error: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint Zoneminder (24487fc46c84941c42341d099e0881241a3f454247236887121ec6575eeb1a3a): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:8080: bind: address already in use" 

I would assign Zoneminder its own IP address.

• 2 weeks later...

dlandon,

Any chance you can get your docker file updated to allow ZoneMinder to run on nginx instead of Apache?

I got it working on a Ubuntu VM by following the instructions here. It was pretty easy to do but I have no experience with Docker, so it might be much harder.

The reason I would like it running on nginx is to have it on a reverse proxy - using letsencrypt and sharing the SSL certificate.

Thanks,

Jorge

Edited by jmonteiro
15 hours ago, jmonteiro said:

dlandon,

Any chance you can get your docker file updated to allow ZoneMinder to run on nginx instead of Apache?

I got it working on a Ubuntu VM by following the instructions here. It was pretty easy to do but I have no experience with Docker, so it might be much harder.

The reason I would like it running on nginx is to have it on a reverse proxy - using letsencrypt and sharing the SSL certificate.

Thanks,

Jorge

No.  I have no interest in doing that.

I realize that Zoneminder 1.32.0 has been released and I will eventually update the Docker for this new release.  Please don't try to lobby me to update the Docker right away.  I won't update it for a while for the following reasons:

• I need an official package available in the repository I am using to install Zoneminder.  I don't intend to build it from source.
  • I want version 1.32.0 to be stable and will give it time for all the issues to be worked out.
  • I will need to build a Docker and test the latest version.
  • Zoneminder has been a real challenge to update in place in a Docker and I have to work through that.
  • There are some changes in the configuration in the latest version and I have to understand how all that works.
  • I don't want anyone's Docker to fail after updating.
  • I need to find the time to do this work.  This is done in my spare time.  Apparently no one feels this Docker is valuable enough to contribute towards my efforts, so I will work on it when I get to it.

I don't expect to have the Docker updated for several months.

• Upvote 3
  • 4 weeks later...

There is an update to the Zoneminder Docker.  This is still version 1.30.4.  I will be working on 1.32 soon.

The update included:

• zmeventnotification updated to v1.6.  The zmeventnotification.ini appears to be updated on each release.  The zmeventnotification.ini file will be copied to the /config/ directory on every update of the docker.  If you make any changes to the zmeventnotification.ini file, you'll need to make those changes after a docker update.
  • Changes to Apache server for better security.  If you have a problem with the Zoneminder webpage, clear your browser cache as the old settings will prevent the web page from showing up.  You may get a php file display instead of the Zoneminder webpage.
Edited by dlandon
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, dlandon said:

There is an update to the Zoneminder Docker.  This is still version 1.30.4.  I will be working on 1.32 soon.

The update included:

• zmeventnotification updated to v1.6.  The zmeventnotification.ini appears to be updated on each release.  The zmeventnotification.ini file will be copied to the /config/ directory on every update of the docker.  If you make any changes to the zmeventnotification.ini file, you'll need to make those changes after a docker update.
  • Changes to Apache server for better security.  If you have a problem with the Zoneminder webpage, clear your browser cache as the old settings will prevent the web page from showing up.  You may get a php file display instead of the Zoneminder webpage.

Thanks dlandon.  Your efforts are much appreciated.  Donation Sent!

Zoneminder has to be the most difficult software implementation I have ever worked on.  The repository for 1.30 has moved, and the package has been modified so I've had to rework the docker so I could make a few changes.  Changes have been made to the apache configuration.  The package maintainers need to stabilize the packages and not make changes to stable versions.  I should be able to update the docker and not have to make changes to accommodate changes to the package implementation.

I've been struggling with the event notifications.  I believe there are some issues with the Google FCM server right now.  Event notification works, then doesn't while I'm trying to work on the docker.  I'll give it a few days and then see if I can successfully update to zmeventnotifications to 1.6.  It was working and then stopped.  This was my bad.  I forwarded port 9000 on my router to the wrong place.

I've started the 1.32 implementation, and as I suspected, it will take me a while to work through the issues.  I have it working and can see images live from my cameras, but I can't record events.  I'll work on it as I get time.

EDIT: I think I have 1.32 working now.  I will do some live testing over the next few days.

Edited by dlandon

A new docker is available with Zoneminder 1.32.  The major changes are:

• Update Zoneminder to version 1.32.1.
  • Update php to 7.1.
  • Update zmeventmonitor to 2.0.

There are some notes on the 1.32 update in the first post that you should read about adjustments you need to make for 1.32.

If you have a lot of events, the update might take a while.  Be sure you have a backup.  The update on my existing Zoneminder docker went without a hitch.

Edited by dlandon

dlandon,

I just upgraded to 1.32.1 and it worked amazingly well, no issues at all :) Thanks for the awesome work..

Regarding the reverse proxy I asked you for, I was able to use your ZM docker (with Apache) under my nginx reverse proxy, so now I only have one HTTPS port open, instead of 2 and I'm very happy :)

PS:  I just helped with your retirement :)

Thanks,

Jorge

23 minutes ago, jmonteiro said:

dlandon,

I just upgraded to 1.32.1 and it worked amazingly well, no issues at all :) Thanks for the awesome work..

Regarding the reverse proxy I asked you for, I was able to use your ZM docker (with Apache) under my nginx reverse proxy, so now I only have one HTTPS port open, instead of 2 and I'm very happy :)

PS:  I just helped with your retirement :)

Thanks,

Jorge

Thank you.  Glad to hear that you upgraded without issues.

On 10/16/2018 at 1:26 PM, dlandon said:

Nothing in the docker should be causing this issue and I don't know of any issues with the latest version.

You might want to confirm your camera resolution is set correctly.

image.png.77c51f6092571825e44502ddc4c8a115.png

image.png.0b07989a05c1a2547096d69bf0faba2e.png

This is what I am seeing.  I restart the docker and it seems to fix it for awhile but then it eventually goes to this or sometimes worse.  This happens to all 4 of my cameras or sometimes just a portion of them.  I have already increased the SHMEM to 60%  (I have 32 GB on the system)

Edited by mgranger
5 minutes ago, mgranger said:

image.png.77c51f6092571825e44502ddc4c8a115.png

image.png.0b07989a05c1a2547096d69bf0faba2e.png

This is what I am seeing.  I restart the docker and it seems to fix it for awhile but then it eventually goes to this or sometimes worse.  This happens to all 4 of my cameras or sometimes just a portion of them.  I have already increased the SHMEM to 60%  (I have 32 GB on the system)

On the zoneminder console, you should try to keep /dev/shm under 70%.  I would run /dev/shm around 40 to 50% (This is the /dev/shm on the zoneminder console, not the SHMEM% setting in the docker xml).  You might be taking too much memory for zoneminder and not leaving enough for Unraid.  Try to cut it down.

This looks like a processor loading problem.  You may need to pin some CPUs to the zoneminder docker.

8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

On the zoneminder console, you should try to keep /dev/shm under 70%.  I would run /dev/shm around 40 to 50% (This is the /dev/shm on the zoneminder console, not the SHMEM% setting in the docker xml).  You might be taking too much memory for zoneminder and not leaving enough for Unraid.  Try to cut it down.

This looks like a processor loading problem.  You may need to pin some CPUs to the zoneminder docker.

Ok i turned down the SHMEM% to 50% which was the default.   My /dev/shm percent is hovering around 18% which seems good enough.  I will try to pin some CPUs to zoneminder if I can figure it out.

13 minutes ago, mgranger said:

Ok i turned down the SHMEM% to 50% which was the default.   My /dev/shm percent is hovering around 18% which seems good enough.  I will try to pin some CPUs to zoneminder if I can figure it out.

Take the SHMEM% to 25.  Zoneminder does not need that much shared memory.  What version of Unraid are you on?  6.6 has a CPU pinning page so you can do it through the gui.

9 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Take the SHMEM% to 25.  Zoneminder does not need that much shared memory.  What version of Unraid are you on?  6.6 has a CPU pinning page so you can do it through the gui.

Ok i took the SHMEM% to 25 and pinned 2,6 and 3,7.  (Yes i am on 6.6)  My /dev/shm went up to 35% which makes sense since i lowered the SHMEM% but I am still seeing the same problem on my images.

• dlandon changed the title to [support] dlandon - Zoneminder 1.36