[Support] Djoss - MKVToolNix

Support for MKVToolNix docker container

Application Name: MKVToolNix
Application Site: https://mkvtoolnix.download/
Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/jlesage/mkvtoolnix/

Github: https://github.com/jlesage/docker-mkvtoolnix

Unlike other containers, this one is based on Alpine Linux, meaning that its size is very small (at least 50% smaller).  It also has a very nice, mobile-friendly web UI to access application's graphical interface, has the latest version of MKVTooNix and is actively supported!

Make sure to look at the complete documentation, available on Github !

Post any questions or issues relating to this docker in this thread.

Edited by Djoss
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Djoss said:

Yes, it's already done.  You can install it via the Community Applications plugin!

Yep, i found it. Working great - thanks!. I was using 

before, but it had some bugs which would not allow you to use your keyboard. It works in this one!

@Djoss Will you be making one for MakeMKV as well? :)

Id personally change /storage aka /mnt/user/ to a share opposed to the entire machine. 

For instance in my machine it would of been something like /mnt/cache/files/ 

Just make sure your pointing at something like a disk share or user share that has read/write permissions and you should be fine. 

Also, you probably need to change the default permissions of the 'Storage' to 'Read/Write`.  Toggle the 'Advanced View` and you will be able to edit the setting.

Alternatively, you can remove and re-install the container from the CA.  I fixed the default permissions in the template.

1 hour ago, Djoss said:

Also, you probably need to change the default permissions of the 'Storage' to 'Read/Write`.  Toggle the 'Advanced View` and you will be able to edit the setting.

Alternatively, you can remove and re-install the container from the CA.  I fixed the default permissions in the template.

Cool got it working. Thanks!

It's probably not a good idea to default the 'storage' to /mnt/user.  Dockers should not access that area of the the mount points.  It would be better to default to the Docker appdata folder.  i.e. /mnt/user/appdata/MKVToolNix.  The user can make changes from there and they are at least not in the /mnt/user area.

44 minutes ago, Djoss said:

Since '/mnt/user' contains all the shares, I thought it was a good and safe starting point.  Isn't the case?

Well yeah it does. Lol

Oddly I was thinking you was hitting /mnt/disk 

I wouldn't say its a bad mount point just seems wide open, but now that I really think about it, its not technically wrong. 

I just like to compartmentalize my stuff. Things that need converting and so forth use a Share just to keep the things that don't need converting or whatever is going on protected from possible mishaps. 

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

It's probably not a good idea to default the 'storage' to /mnt/user.  Dockers should not access that area of the the mount points.  It would be better to default to the Docker appdata folder.  i.e. /mnt/user/appdata/MKVToolNix.  The user can make changes from there and they are at least not in the /mnt/user area.

Better to not fill in anything at all in my opinion. Using the appdata folder that many have on their cache will just lead to the cache drive filling up.

@Djoss Fill in a good description so the users know what goes in the folder and leave the host path blank. I think that would be the best solution.

Little problem...

This docker works really well for me except for one little thing. In the header editor, which is what i use mostly, the column width in the gui is tiny. i can't seem to "grab" the column with the mouse to widen it either using the web gui or tightvnc. anyone else with the same problem?

Untitled.png

20 minutes ago, paulio23 said:

Little problem...

This docker works really well for me except for one little thing. In the header editor, which is what i use mostly, the column width in the gui is tiny. i can't seem to "grab" the column with the mouse to widen it either using the web gui or tightvnc. anyone else with the same problem?

Untitled.png

I also have a tiny column width, but I am able to widen it.  To grab the column, it seems that you need to click a little bit on the right of the column line.  Clicking directly on the line is not working for me.

It's difficult to see, but in the middle of the right side of the column, there are some vertical points showing that you can click there...

column.png.76290ed485238bff8fdca964b79ed9dc.png

I guess that you save your videos under /storage in MKVToolNix?

If yes, can you check the permissions inside the container?

Run:

docker exec -ti MKVToolNix sh

Once logged inside, check permissions:

ls -l /

ls -l /storage

and the directory where you save the video.