[Plugin] NUT v2 - Network UPS Tools

dmacias

27 minutes ago, corgan said:

Hey Rysz

I updated today to 2024.03.28. Before the update, my Green Cell UPS 1500VA (900W) could be read.

But now I get these errors:

grafik.thumb.png.afebbbb895b73ca08c4b057a2af4c788.png

grafik.png.4aeb8bc6126f5268210e5bc0952b7795.png

Is there anything I have to change, to get it back working? Thanxs, greetz Stefan

Hello, nothing in the backend and drivers was changed over these past few months (since 11/2023 actually) so it's probably a coincidence with restarting NUT. Did you try stopping NUT, unplugging and replugging the USB cable and starting NUT again? Also I'd generally advise to use "nutdrv_qx" driver instead of "blazer_usb" (which is legacy) - can you try that and report back if it works then?

Also please post the NUT Debug Package (can be found in NUT Settings) if possible.

Edited by Rysz

Thanks for the fast reply!

I did as you told me, but no difference.

Then I spotted the notice regarding powertop. I had powertop installed for months and never had issues.

But in this case, after removing powertop, the errors are gone, and I can see the ups details again.

One notice, If I choose nutdrv_qx as driver, "Battery Charge" is not displayed.

If I choose the blazer_usb, Battery Charge is shown.

Is there any chance to get the "Runtime Left" Infos from the greencell USV?

grafik.thumb.png.94a3813ad6083ca7592e866985b01f71.png

1 hour ago, corgan said:

Thanks for the fast reply!

I did as you told me, but no difference.

Then I spotted the notice regarding powertop. I had powertop installed for months and never had issues.

But in this case, after removing powertop, the errors are gone, and I can see the ups details again.

One notice, If I choose nutdrv_qx as driver, "Battery Charge" is not displayed.

If I choose the blazer_usb, Battery Charge is shown.

Is there any chance to get the "Runtime Left" Infos from the greencell USV?

grafik.thumb.png.94a3813ad6083ca7592e866985b01f71.png

Better to stick with "blazer_usb" then, the battery charge is important. Glad it works now, powertop can be unpredictable and I'm not a fan of it overall personally.

Regarding the runtime it's possible your UPS does not send this information for NUT to read. Unfortunately you cannot do anything about that, but you can still use the "Shutdown Mode": "Battery Level" and "Time on Battery", which are the more reliable shutdown modes anyhow. "Runtime Left" is the least reliable shutdown mode and that's the only one that won't work for you because of the missing runtime variable. So basically NUT already has all the information it needs to work reliably and that's good even if some of the variables are missing here. You will see some more information (not the runtime, but at least the power consumed) if you set this setting as follows with your values (1500/900 in your case):

image.png.9f0ba04e2768ef52b4312ba892856a3f.png

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, dragoontwo said:

After upgrading nut this morning, I stopped the services to reconfigure as a netserver, and now nut will not restart as netserver or standalone.  I have tried unplugging and replugging the ups, rebooting, removing rebooting and reinstalling nut, and going to 2.8.0 instead of 2.8.1.

hoth-diagnostics-20240330-1143.zip 96.16 kB · 0 downloads

The logs show everything starts up just fine:

Mar 30 11:42:01 Hoth ool www[21065]: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/nut-dw/scripts/start
Mar 30 11:42:02 Hoth root: Writing NUT configuration...
Mar 30 11:42:03 Hoth root: Updating permissions for NUT...
Mar 30 11:42:03 Hoth root: Adding UDEV lines to rc.6 for NUT
Mar 30 11:42:03 Hoth root: Adding UPS shutdown lines to rc.6 for NUT
Mar 30 11:42:03 Hoth root: Checking if the NUT Runtime Statistics Module should be enabled...
Mar 30 11:42:03 Hoth root: Enabling the NUT Runtime Statistics Module...
Mar 30 11:42:08 Hoth root: Using subdriver: MGE HID 1.46
Mar 30 11:42:09 Hoth root: Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.47 (2.8.0)
Mar 30 11:42:09 Hoth root: USB communication driver (libusb 1.0) 0.43
Mar 30 11:42:11 Hoth usbhid-ups[21958]: Startup successful
Mar 30 11:42:11 Hoth root: Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.8.0
Mar 30 11:42:12 Hoth upsd[21987]: listening on 0.XXX.XXX.0 port 3493
Mar 30 11:42:12 Hoth upsd[21987]: Connected to UPS [ups]: usbhid-ups-ups
Mar 30 11:42:12 Hoth usbhid-ups[21958]: sock_connect: enabling asynchronous mode (auto)
Mar 30 11:42:12 Hoth upsd[21988]: Startup successful
Mar 30 11:42:12 Hoth root: Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.8.0
Mar 30 11:42:12 Hoth upsd[21988]: User [email protected] logged into UPS [ups]
### [PREVIOUS LINE REPEATED 1 TIMES] ###

Can you post a screenshot of your NUT Settings page? What exactly isn't working for you? Did you try clearing the browser cache or from another browser? Please also post the NUT Debug Package found on the NUT Settings page. 

Edited by Rysz
17 minutes ago, dragoontwo said:

When I attempt to start nut services it gives the error not able to start succesfully.

nut failed.png

nut-debug-20240330123023.zip 112.56 kB · 0 downloads

I cannot find a problem with your configuration, can you run the command and show me the output:

/etc/rc.d/rc.nut start

If you don't know how to run commands, can you try "Reset Config" and set up NUT with a fresh configuration? Please let me know if it works for you then.

Edited by Rysz
38 minutes ago, dragoontwo said:

When I attempt to start nut services it gives the error not able to start succesfully.

nut failed.png

nut-debug-20240330123023.zip 112.56 kB · 1 download

Screenshot_20240330-123525~2.png

Also I noticed you have very long passwords, can you try setting both passwords to something easy like 123 just for sake of confirming it's not a problem with the passwords? Also make sure the usernames and passwords do not contain any spaces.

Edited by Rysz
30 minutes ago, Rysz said:

Also I noticed you have very long passwords, can you try setting both passwords to something easy like 123 just for sake of confirming it's not a problem with the passwords? Also make sure the usernames and passwords do not contain any spaces.

It does appear to be an issue with the password length.  Here's the command you asked for earlier anyways.

2019618195_nutcmd.png.44741c5233cfa3c78550d8ec7be500ba.png

Just now, dragoontwo said:

It does appear to be an issue with the password length.  Here's the command you asked for earlier anyways.

2019618195_nutcmd.png.44741c5233cfa3c78550d8ec7be500ba.png

Thanks, it's a problem with either the username or password (or both). This is very important information for me because I'll have to fix this, thank you for your help. Can you confirm it works for you now with an easier combination of usernames and passwords?

4 minutes ago, Rysz said:

Thanks, it's a problem with either the username or password (or both). This is very important information for me because I'll have to fix this, thank you for your help. Can you confirm it works for you now with an easier combination of usernames and passwords?

It is now working, and I'll go back to the current 2.8.1 release when I can reboot.

Just now, dragoontwo said:

It is now working, and I'll go back to the current 2.8.1 release when I can reboot.

Thanks a lot again and sorry for the inconvenience, this helped me identify two important issues for fixing in the next update. You can also just remove and reinstall NUT after changing the backend setting and you'll be on the new version again without rebooting. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Poking around the documentation the Eaton 9PX should work with the netxml-ups but selecting the driver gives this error in the log:

/usr/libexec/nut/netxml-ups: error while loading shared libraries: libneon.so.27: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is this a config issue or driver?

Tried both the manual and ui mode with

manual:

driver = netxml-ups
        port = http://192.168.x.x:80

UI:

other: netxml-ups

I did both http and https with 80 and 443.

1 minute ago, arghhh40k said:

Poking around the documentation the Eaton 9PX should work with the netxml-ups but selecting the driver gives this error in the log:

/usr/libexec/nut/netxml-ups: error while loading shared libraries: libneon.so.27: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is this a config issue or driver?

Tried both the manual and ui mode with

manual:

driver = netxml-ups

UI:

other: netxml-ups

I did both http and https with 80 and 443.

That driver is not supported on Unraid due to various dependencies. The 9PX should work over SNMP though, can you check if that works for you instead using the "snmp-ups" driver? You'll probably have to activate it on the UPS somewhere too.

• Like 1

NUT 2.8.2 was released almost 1 hour ago:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/releases/tag/v2.8.2
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/NEWS.adoc#release-notes-for-nut-282---whats-new-since-281
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/UPGRADING.adoc#changes-from-281-to-282

I'm looking forward to when 2.8.2 is available in Unraid NUT plugin because maybe the gamatronic driver will works without raising a weird segmentation fault.

3 minutes ago, luzfcb said:

NUT 2.8.2 was released almost 1 hour ago:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/releases/tag/v2.8.2
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/NEWS.adoc#release-notes-for-nut-282---whats-new-since-281
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/UPGRADING.adoc#changes-from-281-to-282

I'm looking forward to when 2.8.2 is available in Unraid NUT plugin because maybe the gamatronic driver will works without raising a weird segmentation fault.

Thanks for the information, I'm compiling and starting the testing tonight - if all goes well I'll package it up for an update tomorrow. 🙂 

Edited by Rysz
7 minutes ago, Rysz said:

That driver is not supported on Unraid due to various dependencies. The 9PX should work over SNMP though, can you check if that works for you instead using the "snmp-ups" driver? You'll probably have to activate it on the UPS somewhere too.

I have been using the SNMP but was trying to get more data since the SMNP mibs are extremely old in the driver. Hopefully the NUT team can update them with the 2023 version soon.

Just now, arghhh40k said:

I have been using the SNMP but was trying to get more data since the SMNP mibs are extremely old in the driver. Hopefully the NUT team can update them with the 2023 version soon.

Ah, it was you, the username seemed familiar. I'll see if I can get the other driver functional somehow in the meantime, no promises though.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Rysz said:

Ah, it was you, the username seemed familiar. I'll see if I can get the other driver functional somehow in the meantime, no promises though.

Thank you, if you have extra time, it's a low priority for me since the SNMP is 90% of what I am looking for. I just am pushing the data to influx and grafana and my old dashboards when I was using USB aren't quite working. Now the server and UPS are not in the same spot it's not so easy to use USB. I have manually mathed the efficiency and am ignoring VA for Watts since it's only one phase of two but the Watts is both.

I also noticed the power factor is wonky as well but it seems like first world problems.

image.thumb.png.23d41389da59f98f81ba660c3b238ce8.png

4 minutes ago, arghhh40k said:

Thank you, if you have extra time, it's a low priority for me since the SNMP is 90% of what I am looking for. I just am pushing the data to influx and grafana and my old dashboards when I was using USB aren't quite working. Now the server and UPS are not in the same spot it's not so easy to use USB. I have manually mathed the efficiency and am ignoring VA for Watts since it's only one phase of two but the Watts is both.

I also noticed the power factor is wonky as well but it seems like first world problems.

image.thumb.png.23d41389da59f98f81ba660c3b238ce8.png

Yeah, PF is probably wonky for you because it shows less VA than W for power consumption and it's calculated W/VA usually.

On 3/16/2024 at 4:55 PM, PilaScat said:

Hi, today my new UPS (APC BX1200MI-GR) arrived, set it up and charging, but in the notification I'm getting this:
image.png.f68a30ff3c7e85675b9dc3a9d8623fa4.png

Is not true, it's going to 100%

Other screens:
image.thumb.png.8e2b8c07689ff2be2c9c30ca02c22ce7.png

image.thumb.png.01a223859419a134bc53ce0513894407.png

While making the screens I saw live the percentage going to 0% then back to 99%, triggering the notification
I'm connected to NUT with Home Assistant for automation, but I'm on standalone, it works but is it correct?
Yes I have powertop but I checked and it isn't touching the UPS USB, and it worked the same with the old UPS, same UPS but 950VA

nut-debug-20240316165522.zip 14.74 kB · 1 download

Just to follow up on this for you and other users with the affected APC BX series.

Users who are getting intermittent LOWBATT (low battery) notifications can silence these wrongful LOWBATT notifications by resetting their configuration using "Reset Config" and setting up NUT with a fresh configuration. In the new configuration layout such LOWBATT events will no longer raise notifications through Unraid's notification service and only appear in the SYSLOG.

For intermittent REPLBATT (battery replacement) notifications, those can be controlled through the GUI and will have to be disabled for your UPS in case they still occur wrongfully - which unforatunately seems to frequently happen on the affected APC BX series.

The issue itself is still under investigation, we're suspecting that the UPS is cycling through those states while doing some sort of battery calibration process - follow the process over at: https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/2347

The latest plugin update is not working on 6.12.8.  I'm seeing this in the syslog:

Apr 3 23:50:27 hp root: plugin: skipping: nut-2.8.1-x86_64-5master.ssl31.txz - Unraid version too low, requires at least version 6.13

Apr 3 23:50:27 hp root: plugin: skipping: nut-2.8.2-x86_64-1stable.ssl31.txz - Unraid version too low, requires at least version 6.13

Apr 3 23:50:27 hp root: plugin: skipping: nut-2.8.1-x86_64-3stable.ssl31.txz - Unraid version too low, requires at least version 6.13

Apr 3 23:50:27 hp root: plugin: skipping: nut-2.8.0-x86_64-3stable.ssl31.txz - Unraid version too low, requires at least version 6.13

Apr 3 23:50:27 hp root: plugin: skipping: nut-2.7.4.20200318-x86_64-1.txz - Unraid version too low, requires at least version 6.13

Apr 3 23:50:27 hp root: plugin: skipping: - Unraid version too low, requires at least version 6.13

33 minutes ago, cassiusdrow said:

The latest plugin update is not working on 6.12.8.  I'm seeing this in the syslog:

Apr 3 23:50:27 hp root: plugin: skipping: nut-2.8.1-x86_64-5master.ssl31.txz - Unraid version too low, requires at least version 6.13

Apr 3 23:50:27 hp root: plugin: skipping: nut-2.8.2-x86_64-1stable.ssl31.txz - Unraid version too low, requires at least version 6.13

Apr 3 23:50:27 hp root: plugin: skipping: nut-2.8.1-x86_64-3stable.ssl31.txz - Unraid version too low, requires at least version 6.13

Apr 3 23:50:27 hp root: plugin: skipping: nut-2.8.0-x86_64-3stable.ssl31.txz - Unraid version too low, requires at least version 6.13

Apr 3 23:50:27 hp root: plugin: skipping: nut-2.7.4.20200318-x86_64-1.txz - Unraid version too low, requires at least version 6.13

Apr 3 23:50:27 hp root: plugin: skipping: - Unraid version too low, requires at least version 6.13

Please post the diagnostics package, those messages are normal and just means it's skipping over packages for other Unraid versions. Can you not see NUT Settings anymore after updating or what is not working? If the backend says NUT 2.8.2 in NUT Settings the update installed fine.

Edited by Rysz
21 minutes ago, Rysz said:

Please post the diagnostics package, those messages are normal and just means it's skipping over packages for other Unraid versions. Can you not see NUT Settings anymore after updating or what is not working?

My apologies.  False alarm.  I should know better than to do upgrades after 11 PM.

It was the change from nut version 2.8.1 to 2.8.2 along with a configuration error on my part.  I had a bad listener entry in upsd.conf.  This didn't cause any issues for 2.8.1, but 2.8.2 now forces upsd to exit with an error if any listeners fail.  Removing the bad listener entry allowed upsd to start.  They added the ALLOW_NOT_ALL_LISTENERS setting in upsd.conf to control this behavior.  See this issue: https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/723

Thank you for the quick reply and for all the work you have been doing on this plugin.

• Thanks 1