Replacing USB stick

3 hours ago, coblck said:

Hi i would like to change my usb stick my unraid OS is on, i have backed up do i just copy files to new stick then restart ???

In addition to copying the files, you will need to have your license file registered with the GUID of the new USB stick (otherwise, unRAID will run in trial mode).  To do so, contact @limetech

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

In addition to copying the files, you will need to have your license file registered with the GUID of the new USB stick (otherwise, unRAID will run in trial mode).

If the key file is properly copied intact, the new stick should attempt to automatically migrate the license with the help of a wizard.  This is allowed once a year,  if it's sooner than that since your last transfer, yes, contact limetech and tell them your situation.

Also, after copying the files you will need to do the "make bootable" procedure just like you did with the original stick.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

If the key file is properly copied intact, the new stick should attempt to automatically migrate the license with the help of a wizard.  This is allowed once a year,  if it's sooner than that since your last transfer, yes, contact limetech and tell them your situation.

Also, after copying the files you will need to do the "make bootable" procedure just like you did with the original stick.

Good to know.  I did not realize a once a year license migration was now automatic.  I have been using the same USB stick for seven years and only knew about the "old" way of doing things.  I need to keep up more :)

Well my new usb arrived and did a backup through unraid OS, shut down server, reformatted USB with title UNRAID and fat32 copied files over from backup download , plugged in unraid server and it wont boot, went into bios new USB detected as 1st and only boot option restarted but still wont boot. What did i miss ?? Any help 

Did you run the proper make-bootable script for the OS on your PC? See  here:

Run the make bootable script.

From Windows XP, just double-click the make_bootable file.

From Windows 7 or later, right-click the file and select ‘Run as Administrator’.

From Mac devices, double-click the file ‘make_bootable_mac’ and enter your admin password when prompted.

NOTE:  during the process of running this script, the flash device may seem to disappear and reappear on your workstation a few times – this is expected behavior.

• 2 years later...

I needed to move to a new USB, but wanted to 'start from stratch' while keeping my current Unraid Basic plan.

From my Old USB Boot drive, I copied /boot/config/Basic.key to my new system under the same path and name. This required manually mounting the the old boot drive to my new system and later unmounting. I also had to move the Trial.key (to Trial.key.backup) so that Unraid wouldn't be able to find that.

On reboot, Unraid recognized the incorrect key/guid and offered me the annual option to replace my key. 

• 2 years later...

From the Guide: https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/changing-the-flash-device/

To ensure no data loss after the server is booted, you will need to make sure you assign each disk to the array / cache exactly as it was prior to the failure. It is also a good idea to keep a screenshot of your drive setup, anytime you conclude a major change in the configuration of your Unraid server, for example, after the initial setup, or after adding/removing drives. If you do not know which disks were assigned where, create a post in the forum for further assistance.

How do I know which drive is which? 
3 have the same name, and the other 2 the same name. 

The have different sd-lettering, but not sure if they will change when I change USB, or what will information will be removed and what will stay. 

Or do the quote above not matter if I replace from backup zip file? 

Edited by tshorts