Auggie

Increase Data Drive Limit

30 posts in this topic Last Reply

2 hours ago, Helmonder said:

ZFS is meh... At least for now.. It brings back several limitations that we currently do not have with unraid and that I really like not having... Like not deciding how back your pools are, no need to have same type/same size disks.. You also need an amount of RAM per TB in your server and that adds up quickly..

My info is from a few years back so stuff might be different..

From what I am aware there are still limitations with disk sizes and adding disks to a pool. unraid does have the nice feature of mixing disk sizes.

So if unraid added the feature for multiple arrays it would definitely be a pulling point for more people to use unraid.

You can right now setup an unraid vm on your unraid server, I've done it.  There are other threads that offer some good information on how to do this.  I spent quite a bit of time fussing around with it to get everything working correctly because I had issues other people probably wouldn't,  but at the very basic level I just passed a usb controller card and a sata controller card through to the vm.  I agree that Limetech making it possible to create 2 array's on the same server would be more elegant, but if you're looking for a way to expand past 30 drives on the same hardware right now, you could do this.

Edited by TSM

4 hours ago, TSM said:

You can right now setup an unraid vm on your unraid server, I've done it.  There are other threads that offer some good information on how to do this.  I spent quite a bit of time fussing around with it to get everything working correctly because I had issues other people probably wouldn't,  but at the very basic level I just passed a usb controller card and a sata controller card through to the vm.  I agree that Limetech making it possible to create 2 array's on the same server would be more elegant, but if you're looking for a way to expand past 30 drives on the same hardware right now, you could do this.

For me, I'm concerned about running an UnRAID-based media server in VM; it doesn't matter for my backup server.  All my videos are 1:1 imaged full Blu-Ray discs (which precludes running Plex or any other current media streamer) so anything that could impede performance and cause drop-outs, stuttering, or pauses in playback would be unacceptable.

Edited by Auggie

On 9/13/2019 at 7:34 AM, Helmonder said:

ZFS is meh... At least for now.. It brings back several limitations that we currently do not have with unraid and that I really like not having... Like not deciding how back your pools are, no need to have same type/same size disks.. You also need an amount of RAM per TB in your server and that adds up quickly..

My info is from a few years back so stuff might be different..

Right, but I am just wondering if there would be a way to set up like a master and a slave unraid servers. It would integrate it all under a single SMB share, or something similar.

Maybe we should fix that sqlite problem before adding more problems? :)