[Support] Josh5 - Unmanic - Library Optimiser


964 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, randomusername said:

Problem: radarr keeps replacing transcoded films.

 

From radarr's history, it looks like radarr is noticing when unmanic deletes the old version of the film but does not rescan the folder to see that the h265 version is in there so thinks it still needs downloading. It also does not see the quality (shows as unknown if manual rescan is done) so presumably any download is an upgrade in quality compared to the unmanic transcode.

 

I think one of these things is behind radarr redownloading the old version of the film, which of course renders unmanic useless. Has anyone else noticed this or figured out a way to work around it?

 

I haven't noticed this happening with sonarr yet but unmanic has mostly been transcoding films so far.

Un-monitor everything that has downloaded at an acceptable profile to you. 
 

I only leave missing stuff monitored. Less clutter for you to manually monitor also. 

Link to post
  • Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Application Name: UNMANIC - Library Optimiser Application Site: https://github.com/Unmanic/unmanic/ Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/josh5/unmanic/ Github: https://github.com/Unmani

There should be a new update available. This has quite a number of changes to how ffmpeg is executed. It should resolve some issues with inotify and library scanning. For those people who created

@Ashe @trekkiedj @itimpi   Please see update first post also for an example of how I have it setup. I have also added a temporary solution to adding multiple library locations if anyone need

Posted Images

22 hours ago, randomusername said:

Is there any way to do this automatically or do you have to manually go through all movies one by one?

Not automatically but you can bulk edit right now and then proceed from there. 

 

From your movies tab, you can click on "Movie Editor" and then select the movies you're happy with and choose "Unmonitor" and update that way. 

 

I found it easier when I first started using radarr was to unmonitor everything and only re-monitor the few I needed or waiting on. 

Edited by rmeaux
Link to post

Radarr and Sonarr handle media files differently. Sonarr actually inspects the files and determines whether it’s x264 or x265. Radarr (at least V2) does not. It’s imperative to have radarr rename the files (not folders) with the media tag like so:

 

{Movie Title} ({Release Year}) -{Quality Title}-{Mediainfo Videocodec}

 

this will output a (Plex compatible) file name like:

 

Batman (1992) -Bluray-1080p-x265

 

 

so if you don’t have this tag set but you have a x265 profile, it will re download the file from a source with a x265 tag if it senses a file change ie from unmanic. 
 

so add the file tag under the radarr settings. Then you’ll need to rename all the movies in your library to apply the naming scheme, which can be done with radarr or filebot. Then, when unmanic converts “Batman (1992) -Bluray-1080p-x264” to x265, you’ll need to manually change it to 

 

Batman (1992) -Bluray-1080p-x265

 

radarr will then see it meets the quality profile and won’t attempt to redownload (assuming other quality profile criteria is met). 
 

PS radarr V3 May have file analysis functionality which would render this whole exercise moot. Might also be worth looking into. 

 

Link to post
On 1/12/2020 at 7:05 PM, Cpt. Chaz said:

PS radarr V3 May have file analysis functionality which would render this whole exercise moot. Might also be worth looking into. 

 

Couldn't stop thinking about this, so I tested it. Radarr V3 (aphrodite) does do a media file analysis unlike V2. Upgrading would solve the naming / upgrade issue. I'm still testing V3 alongside V2 before i fully commit because i've heard it's still buggy, but tbh so far it's working surprisingly well for me.

Link to post

If I've got TV Shows under separate sub-folders, would I have to point this container to each individual sub-folder that I want 'watched'?  Right now I have my array set up as:

 

/mnt/Media/TVShows/TVSHOWNAME/S01

 

And on down the line.  As it stands now, this is doing nothing.  So if I point (as a test) to /TVShows/TVSHOWNAME  I would have to drill down even deeper and select the actual Season Sub-folder as well in order to get anything to initiate?

 

Link to post
7 minutes ago, CoZ said:

If I've got TV Shows under separate sub-folders, would I have to point this container to each individual sub-folder that I want 'watched'?  Right now I have my array set up as:

 

/mnt/Media/TVShows/TVSHOWNAME/S01

 

And on down the line.  As it stands now, this is doing nothing.  So if I point (as a test) to /TVShows/TVSHOWNAME  I would have to drill down even deeper and select the actual Season Sub-folder as well in order to get anything to initiate?

 

I didn't have to. I just pointed it my "tvshows" folder and it did everything in subfolders. My layout is similar. As media/tvshows/tvshowname/season/ is pretty standard.

Link to post
3 minutes ago, letrain said:

I didn't have to. I just pointed it my "tvshows" folder and it did everything in subfolders. My layout is similar. As media/tvshows/tvshowname/season/ is pretty standard.

Strange.  I've even drilled down to the "Season" folder in the docker container setup.  I've got two workers enabled - nothing is happening.  They must be on strike or something? lol

Link to post
8 minutes ago, CoZ said:

Strange.  I've even drilled down to the "Season" folder in the docker container setup.  I've got two workers enabled - nothing is happening.  They must be on strike or something? lol

Stupid Question: do you have "scan at start" checkbox checked? By default it is set to 60 minutes before it scans the folder. 

Link to post
Strange.  I've even drilled down to the "Season" folder in the docker container setup.  I've got two workers enabled - nothing is happening.  They must be on strike or something? lol
Check your settings? Make sure your paths are correct.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Link to post
38 minutes ago, rmeaux said:

Stupid Question: do you have "scan at start" checkbox checked? By default it is set to 60 minutes before it scans the folder. 

I've checked it and nothing.  Restarted the docker, nothing.  Left it unchecked, nothing.  Restarted Docker, nothing.  Removed a video file from the directory, to my local desktop, deleted the file, moved the file back, started/stopped the docker, nothing.

Link to post
25 minutes ago, letrain said:

Check your settings? Make sure your paths are correct.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 

This is how it's mapped / set up currently:

 

2020_01_18_22_31_35_Settings_Unmanic.png

Edited by CoZ
forgot to save as PNG
Link to post
28 minutes ago, CoZ said:

I've checked it and nothing.  Restarted the docker, nothing.  Left it unchecked, nothing.  Restarted Docker, nothing.  Removed a video file from the directory, to my local desktop, deleted the file, moved the file back, started/stopped the docker, nothing.

Another stupid question. Is the file you are testing with already h.265 or HEVC? It doesn't touch what doesn't need converting. 

Link to post
3 minutes ago, rmeaux said:

Another stupid question. Is the file you are testing with already h.265 or HEVC? It doesn't touch what doesn't need converting. 

HAHAHAH..... YUP!  That entire season is in HEVC. 

I'm foolish.  Sorry.   I pointed to that TV Show because I wasn't worried about 'losing it' in case something screwed up.  I'll try a different one now that is NOT already HEVC.  /facepalm

 

Wouldn't you know it, switched it to a different TV show / season and the two workers have taken off and started converting.

 

....sorry ... all

Edited by CoZ
Link to post
4 minutes ago, CoZ said:

HAHAHAH..... YUP!  That entire season is in HEVC. 

I'm foolish.  Sorry.   I pointed to that TV Show because I wasn't worried about 'losing it' in case something screwed up.  I'll try a different one now that is NOT already HEVC.  /facepalm

 

Wouldn't you know it, switched it to a different TV show / season and the two workers have taken off and started converting.

 

....sorry ... all

Np, we all do it. Have fun saving Gigs!

Link to post

I noticed an issue that I haven't seen reported elsewhere.

 

I have a few videos with an oddball size. For example, this one shows Coded Height: 704, Coded Width: 1280.

 

After conversion, the new file shows Coded Height: 696, Coded Width: 1280. So 8 lines have been removed from the video.

 

While playing the video, I noticed the lines appear to be removed at even intervals through the frame. The result of this is a tearing sort of visual effect.

 

My suggestion: if the video size is going to be reduced, ensure that the lines are evenly removed from the very top and bottom portions of the frame where they're unlikely to be noticed (ie. crop the frame).

 

Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks a lot for the great work!

Link to post

Running version 0.0.1-beta7.  I recently moved this container from one unraid server to another.  It appears that since then, unmanic is continuing to do it's work, and logging to the /config/.unmanic/logs/unmanic.log file.  However the Completed Tasks on the dashboard isn't being updated.

 

I'm not sure if messed something up during the move between hosts, or if it's due to leaving the Debug option on for too long, or what.

 

Any thoughts on how to get this fully functional again?

 

Thanks!

Link to post

Hi everyone, 

Is there any way to utilise unmanic to pass through the video stream but just encode the audio track and remux? I'm only getting mkv files and the video stream can stay untouched, however I'd like to have them all use aac for the audio stream. I've tried a few settings but I didnt get it to work, I guess the audio encoding only kicks in if the video encoding is, too, eh?

 

Thanks!

Edited by Blacksus
Link to post
On 1/26/2020 at 11:39 AM, Blacksus said:

Hi everyone, 

Is there any way to utilise unmanic to pass through the video stream but just encode the audio track and remux? I'm only getting mkv files and the video stream can stay untouched, however I'd like to have them all use aac for the audio stream. I've tried a few settings but I didnt get it to work, I guess the audio encoding only kicks in if the video encoding is, too, eh?

 

Thanks!

If i remember right it will only encode the video if it isn't h265 or mkv (depending on your settings) but actually disabling i don't know

Link to post
11 minutes ago, eagle470 said:

Is this container still under active support at all?

As far as we know, Yes. 

 

The creator/maintainer, I assume, lives in the southern hemisphere and has mentioned in November that he was taking advantage of the upcoming warmer weather and getting some much needed home maintenance and stuff done around the house. Mentioned a return to updates and bug fixes in Feb/March. 

 

He also mentioned for us to continue to submit bugs and request to Git in the meantime. 

Link to post

The more I use this container, the more amazed I am at the results it produces.  I started off with a 'disposable' TV show that I didn't really care about what happened to it let it run through all the seasons.  I saw, on average, a 70% decrease in file size(s).  The screenshot below is the most impressive result by far in the size decrease.

image.png.7ec484c6baea0cfbf767feffad9c1c39.png

 

I've manually mapped the TV Shows that I want encoded.  I just wait for one show to complete, re-map the container to point to a different show and start it up again.  I'm only running two workers and transcoding to RAM instead of the SSD or Mechanical drive.

 

I've noticed ZERO difference in quality.  I took a backup of a TV Episode, let the docker run it's course then played them side by side and really couldn't see a difference.  Granted, not exactly a technical or scientific approach. LoL

 

I'm not sure if I want it to touch my Battlestar Galactica episodes that I treasure dearly but, for stuff like 'Friends' and 'Knight Rider' etc.... I can't see any negative with using this.

 

Truly amazing work on the part of the DEV.

Link to post

Hi everyone,

I noticed some other people in this thread reporting seeing failures in transcoding. I was seeing the same thing, a large number of files transcoded without issue, but a large number also failed. I recently switched my encoding cache directory to /dev/shm (ram disk) and now the files that were previously failing are transcoding successfully. I'll have to let it run for a while longer to confirm things don't start failing again, but so far it's looking good. Thought I'd post this in case it might help someone else.

-Vince

Link to post

Quick update now that my transcodes have been running for over 12 hours on the ram disk... I'm still having some failures, but significantly fewer than before. Right now all the files I'm transcoding are files that had previously failed and most are working.

Edited by vcolombo
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.