Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Unraid

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

Featured Replies

On 4/1/2020 at 12:08 AM, elcapitano said:

I have multiple entries like this before the system becomes unresponsive:

 

Apr 1 08:06:30 MASTER kernel: resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0x000c0000-0x000fffff], which spans more than PCI Bus 0000:00 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff window]
Apr 1 08:06:30 MASTER kernel: caller _nv000908rm+0x1bf/0x1f0 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs

 

Removed the GPU Statistics Plugin, and the log entries reduced.

Will see if it crashes again.

 

Did anyone figure out if there is a resolution to this? 

  • Replies 2.5k
  • Views 653.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, itimpi said:

That makes sense as the binding would hide the card from the Unraid Linux level  It does sound as if might affect your ability to use the card in a VM :(

 

Seems to be working ok for pass through, not sure if that's because the gpu bios has been passed through as well?

 

Additionally, I've added the below to /etc/libvirt/hooks/qemu to re-enable persistence mode when the VM releases resources (see https://libvirt.org/hooks.html). This allows the card to enter P8 state where it draws ~4W whilst idle in Unraid, compared to the ~9W in the default P0 state. I'm not sure how robust this is, or how it'll work once the second card is added - may need to specify address of the target gpu also - but it appears to work for now. 

 

Added snippet:

if ($argv[2] == 'release' && $argv[3] == 'end'){
        shell_exec('date +"%b %d %H:%M:%S libvirt hook: Setting nVidia Promiscuous mode to 1" >> /var/log/syslog');
        shell_exec('nvidia-smi --persistence-mode=1');
}

 

Full script at /etc/libvirt/hooks/qemu:

#!/usr/bin/env php

<?php
if ($argv[2] == 'release' && $argv[3] == 'end'){
        shell_exec('date +"%b %d %H:%M:%S libvirt hook: Setting nVidia Promiscuous mode to 1" >> /var/log/syslog');
        shell_exec('nvidia-smi --persistence-mode=1');
}

if (!isset($argv[2]) || $argv[2] != 'start') {
        exit(0);
}

$strXML = file_get_contents('php://stdin');

$doc = new DOMDocument();
$doc->loadXML($strXML);

$xpath = new DOMXpath($doc);

$args = $xpath->evaluate("//domain/*[name()='qemu:commandline']/*[name()='qemu:arg']/@value");

for ($i = 0; $i < $args->length; $i++){
        $arg_list = explode(',', $args->item($i)->nodeValue);

        if ($arg_list[0] !== 'vfio-pci') {
                continue;
        }

        foreach ($arg_list as $arg) {
                $keypair = explode('=', $arg);

                if ($keypair[0] == 'host' && !empty($keypair[1])) {
                        vfio_bind($keypair[1]);
                        break;
                }

 

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I can't seem to find an answer. Is there a version of this plugin for the 6.9 beta? I need the 5.4 kernel for temp monitoring for my 3700x, but I'd also like to use my gtx 970 for folding@home.

1 hour ago, cbc02009 said:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I can't seem to find an answer. Is there a version of this plugin for the 6.9 beta? I need the 5.4 kernel for temp monitoring for my 3700x, but I'd also like to use my gtx 970 for folding@home.

This have been answered already not so long ago in this thread.

The only available builds are the ones you see in the plugin. So no beta.

On 4/19/2020 at 4:12 AM, cbc02009 said:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I can't seem to find an answer. Is there a version of this plugin for the 6.9 beta? I need the 5.4 kernel for temp monitoring for my 3700x, but I'd also like to use my gtx 970 for folding@home.

The new 5.6 kernel nvidia drivers JUST got posted on slackbuilds.

 

So it wasn't even possible before :)

According to EposVox on Youtube, the newest Nvidia driver dated 4/16/2020 allows 3 NVENC streams instead of just 2. 

Could be useful to push a build with this driver (445.87) as it opens up some more functionality for those of us using Plex Hardware transcoding.
 

 

My mobo is :

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, Socket-1155

ATX, Z68, DDR3, 3xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX&SLI, SATA 6Gb/s,USB3.0,FW, VGA,DVI,HDMI, EFI

 

Will PCIe 2.0 slow down a 1660 card? Should I get the Ti for transcoding Plex 4K streams? Or will it be even more slowed down by my Motherboard?

8 minutes ago, SkyHead said:

My mobo is :

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, Socket-1155

ATX, Z68, DDR3, 3xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX&SLI, SATA 6Gb/s,USB3.0,FW, VGA,DVI,HDMI, EFI

 

Will PCIe 2.0 slow down a 1660 card? Should I get the Ti for transcoding Plex 4K streams? Or will it be even more slowed down by my Motherboard?

I doubt you will notice any difference not having PCIe 3.0. You will not notice any difference between Ti or not as it's the same amount of nvenc/nvdec chips on both cards.

I am rather new to unraid still testing the waters with everything.

I have a 1070 G1 Gaming, I was able to activate it one time with this plugin.

I install a windows clean install (To get my clean ROM) on one of the cache drives yesterday and since then I cannot boot into unraid with the "unraid nvidia" plugin os...

I get the "Failed to Allocate memory for Kernel command line, bailing out booting kernel failed: bad file number"

Even making a new USB, formating all the drives clean doesn't help.

I literally create the USB, setup the registration key, drives, install "community applications" plugin, install "nvidia unraid" and choose the 6.8.3 version.

It copies to my drive and then when I boot I get that message...

I even did new config, as I said, format all the drives (including parity and cache)

 

This is the second time it happens to me, first time I was able to run everything again after creating a new configuration, this time it won't work.

 

Any idea what is going on? what am I doing wrong?

Edited by sand372
Found a Solution, seems it was the UEFI, in legacy mode it boots ok

1 hour ago, sand372 said:

Any idea what is going on? what am I doing wrong?

I suspect a Flash problem. Be sure you are using a USB2 port. 

If I Have 2 NVENC streams - does that exclude Direct Play?

9 minutes ago, SkyHead said:

If I Have 2 NVENC streams - does that exclude Direct Play?

Yes, there is no transcoding with direct play

19 hours ago, aptalca said:

Yes, there is no transcoding with direct play

And what happens when transcode limit is reached? Does it switch to CPU?

Sorry for not just asking in one thread.

Edited by SkyHead

I had no issues with my server until today I installed this Unraid Nvidia image and used it for Plex.  Since then my log is filled with this error:

 

kernel: caller _nv000908rm+0x1bf/0x1f0 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs\

kernel: resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0x000c0000-0x000fffff], which spans more than PCI Bus 0000:00 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff window]  

 

To the point my dockers no longer work correctly and I have to restart my server.  Is there going to be a fix?  Going through this thread I believe this has been an ongoing issue...

3 hours ago, SkyHead said:

And what happens when transcode limit is reached? Does it switch to CPU?

Sorry for not just asking in one thread.

It should (haven't tested)

2 hours ago, PickleRick said:

I had no issues with my server until today I installed this Unraid Nvidia image and used it for Plex.  Since then my log is filled with this error:

 

kernel: caller _nv000908rm+0x1bf/0x1f0 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs\

kernel: resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0x000c0000-0x000fffff], which spans more than PCI Bus 0000:00 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff window]  

 

To the point my dockers no longer work correctly and I have to restart my server.  Is there going to be a fix?  Going through this thread I believe this has been an ongoing issue...

Not unless we can reproduce it

On 4/16/2020 at 6:58 PM, Fiservedpi said:

Same here even when the GPU Stats plugin removed logs slammed with 

CMD: > /var/log/syslog to truncate it for now, since the log was 422,000 Bytes

There's something going on here, on a kernel level I think

nvidia-container-runtime-hook.log 35.61 kB · 2 downloads

I have been running the LinuxServer.io Folding@home docker recently which has been keeping my GPU very busy fighting CORVID-19 💪!  With the GPU under load, I haven't noticed this issue come up at all; with or without the GPU Statistics plugin installed.

 

When I stop utilizing the GPU, and query the GPU with nvidia-smi or the GPU Statistics plugin, I immediately see this error in the log.  So, my latest hypothesis, there is something with the way the NVIDIA plugin is interfacing with the GPU when being queried in the low power (P0/throttled) state.  @linuxserver.io, any ideas?

 

-JesterEE

9 hours ago, JesterEE said:

I have been running the LinuxServer.io Folding@home docker recently which has been keeping my GPU very busy fighting CORVID-19 💪!  With the GPU under load, I haven't noticed this issue come up at all; with or without the GPU Statistics plugin installed.

 

When I stop utilizing the GPU, and query the GPU with nvidia-smi or the GPU Statistics plugin, I immediately see this error in the log.  So, my latest hypothesis, there is something with the way the NVIDIA plugin is interfacing with the GPU when being queried in the low power (P0/throttled) state.  @linuxserver.io, any ideas?

 

-JesterEE

The plugin doesn't query the gpu. Getting the UUID is done once at boot and that is all.

I don't think there is much we can do about the issue as it's most likely a combination of kernel, driver, GPU and bios versions. Hopefully it's solved in a later build.

Hello,

 

I'm trying to get my 2 Grid K2 video cards to show up in Unraid-Nvidia, but they won't show up.  I'm assuming it's a driver issue.  How do a add the drivers for my cards if they aren't included in any of the 400 series drivers?  I can find them in the 340.108 version.

 

IOMMU group 18:[10de:11bf] 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GL [GRID K2] (rev a1)

IOMMU group 19:[10de:11bf] 06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GL [GRID K2] (rev a1)

image.png.f9ead24c17265859be33008bb0c1a455.png

14 hours ago, Gregory said:

Hello,

 

I'm trying to get my 2 Grid K2 video cards to show up in Unraid-Nvidia, but they won't show up.  I'm assuming it's a driver issue.  How do a add the drivers for my cards if they aren't included in any of the 400 series drivers?  I can find them in the 340.108 version.

 

IOMMU group 18:[10de:11bf] 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GL [GRID K2] (rev a1)

IOMMU group 19:[10de:11bf] 06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GL [GRID K2] (rev a1)

image.png.f9ead24c17265859be33008bb0c1a455.png

You can't as we only use the latest driver at the time of building the new build.

21 hours ago, Gregory said:

Hello,

 

I'm trying to get my 2 Grid K2 video cards to show up in Unraid-Nvidia, but they won't show up.  I'm assuming it's a driver issue.  How do a add the drivers for my cards if they aren't included in any of the 400 series drivers?  I can find them in the 340.108 version.

 

IOMMU group 18:[10de:11bf] 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GL [GRID K2] (rev a1)

IOMMU group 19:[10de:11bf] 06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GL [GRID K2] (rev a1)

image.png.f9ead24c17265859be33008bb0c1a455.png

Cards are so old they aren't even listed on nvidia's matrix for anything usable.

 

Why would you waste the power even using them for this?

On 4/25/2020 at 8:00 AM, Gregory said:

Hello,

 

I'm trying to get my 2 Grid K2 video cards to show up in Unraid-Nvidia, but they won't show up.  I'm assuming it's a driver issue.  How do a add the drivers for my cards if they aren't included in any of the 400 series drivers?  I can find them in the 340.108 version.

 

IOMMU group 18:[10de:11bf] 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GL [GRID K2] (rev a1)

IOMMU group 19:[10de:11bf] 06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GL [GRID K2] (rev a1)

image.png.f9ead24c17265859be33008bb0c1a455.png

Grid k2 cards aren't compatible with anything other then vmware, they dont have standard linux drivers, its a vmware esx only card

Edited by beardymcgee

Any ideas how to start debugging an issue I'm having where the GPU just disappears?

 

Basic Scenario

- LinuxServer.io - Plex using GPU HW Encoding

- Unraid Nvidia Plugin (for 6.8.3)

- Brand new Asus 1660 Super (power led is white indicating all is well)

- GPU Statistics Plugin

 

Initially I had the GPU setup and encoding in Plex within minutes, having followed all the nice guides on here.

The issue is that every day or so the GPU will just disappear (the webui Dashboard GPU Stats has no numbers, just '/' against each stat).

Running nvidia-smi in a terminal gives me:

"Unable to determine the device handle for GPU 0000:09:00.0: Unknown Error"

The GPU itself has the fans at max as if it's crashed, I have to reboot the system where it then works again for a day or so.

 

I was checking remotely this morning, and GPU Stats was showing sensible numbers until around 10:30 this morning, but as can be seen in the syslog, it gets spammed before/after this time with:

Apr 27 10:50:10 DIG-NAS-UR001 kernel: resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0x000c0000-0x000fffff], which spans more than PCI Bus 0000:00 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff window]
Apr 27 10:50:10 DIG-NAS-UR001 kernel: caller _nv000908rm+0x1bf/0x1f0 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs

(hundreds of entries)

 

and once the card's disappeared, I get a small number of entries:

Apr 27 14:21:17 DIG-NAS-UR001 kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:09:00.0: request_irq() failed (-22)

 

I just don't know where to start, I have grabbed the diagnostics just in case it's useful (will upload) but just want to get advice on where to start/if anyone can help.


The GPU with PLEX is working fantastically (when it works) I can transcode my recently ripped UHD movies and HW encode to 1080p/720p with no issues, so would love to get this working 'full time'.. :)


Thanks for any help!

 

edit - just to confirm, a remote 'restart' of unraid gets it going again.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Snubbers

I'm kinda seeing a trend here. Most if not all of the people experiencing these issues are also using the gpu stats plugin. Did you try without it?

1 hour ago, aptalca said:

I'm kinda seeing a trend here. Most if not all of the people experiencing these issues are also using the gpu stats plugin. Did you try without it?

That's a very good observation, I'll uninstall that plugin, reboot to ensure it's 'clean' and then report back! :)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.