[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

I'm so pleased that I sort of have a working Sonoma VM!!!! 😁😁😁😁😁

What I'm struggling big time with is passing through my AMD GPU. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Does the highlighted section in the pic look wrong? Other devices start with a number but this starts with a letter; does that matter? Since I don't really know what I'm doing I'm looking for anything that seems odd to me. 

Screenshot_20241002-1214272.thumb.png.2e8c013df79d0f3a4b030170a54aa921.png

On 9/28/2024 at 8:02 AM, dboris said:

I'm also stuck to that.
Tried 4 installs with different CPU selected in case it was messing with the install.
Changed the settings on docker, ran the docker, ran the VMs.
Everytime I get the apple logo and back to boot picker.

I get this on the VM's logs but I'm unable to tell if it's related :

image.thumb.png.934c9c4efbcee65c4cd1483b202207d3.png

I did another reinstallation and it worked this time. Haven't been able to gasp what was the issue.

Was someone able to passhthrough a USB device with a speed, as displayed in the system report, above 480mbps ?
I tried to passthrough USB SSD storage that's seen as 10Gbits by Unraid and by my Macbook, but drops to 480Mbits once plugged to the VM. Same issue with multiple storage devices (SSD, DAS, card readers).

image.png.568147c5fd5a056bcf3f717570f5dbe9.png

On 10/4/2024 at 2:40 PM, dboris said:

Was someone able to passhthrough a USB device with a speed, as displayed in the system report, above 480mbps ?
I tried to passthrough USB SSD storage that's seen as 10Gbits by Unraid and by my Macbook, but drops to 480Mbits once plugged to the VM. Same issue with multiple storage devices (SSD, DAS, card readers).

image.png.568147c5fd5a056bcf3f717570f5dbe9.png

Change / edit your usb controller in your config xml to usb 3, personally passthrough the controller if not possible get a usb pcie card and pass it through.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, winglam said:

I successfully boot into bootloader, but installer disappears. how can I fix it, or is there a way to roll back to the old macinabox. Thanks!

the installer disappears after installing. you sure you can't just boot from the normal macOS Base System disk now? It probably reboots a couple of times before finally going to the login window

Edited by RezzZ
7 hours ago, RezzZ said:

the installer disappears after installing. you sure you can't just boot from the normal macOS Base System disk now? It probably reboots a couple of times before finally going to the login window

I haven’t even started installing it yet; this is just the boot screen when the VM first starts. I’ve tried all versions of the VM, restarted the server, and even reinstalled Macinabox, but none of it helped.

Edited by winglam
7 minutes ago, winglam said:

I didn't even start installing it yet; this is a boot screen of VM first starts.

okay... the first screen you should get is the recovery window of macos. If I recall this correctly, the vm is supposed to download recovery. Is the VM connected to the internet?

26 minutes ago, RezzZ said:

okay... the first screen you should get is the recovery window of macos. If I recall this correctly, the vm is supposed to download recovery. Is the VM connected to the internet?

Yes, the server has internet access, and the installers are downloaded & located in the default ISOS folder.

On 10/2/2024 at 6:36 PM, HomerJ said:

I'm so pleased that I sort of have a working Sonoma VM!!!! 😁😁😁😁😁

What I'm struggling big time with is passing through my AMD GPU. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Does the highlighted section in the pic look wrong? Other devices start with a number but this starts with a letter; does that matter? Since I don't really know what I'm doing I'm looking for anything that seems odd to me. 

Screenshot_20241002-1214272.thumb.png.2e8c013df79d0f3a4b030170a54aa921.png

for my rx 5700 xt running 6.9.12 i had to edit the xml add multifunction on and move bus of audio device to same as gpu and also function to one 1 to match audio device gpu is on function 0 like so

<rom file='/mnt/user/isos/vbios/rx5700xt_asus.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x19' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>

you also have to edit your config.plist and add agdpmod=pikera beforehand while using vnc.

10 hours ago, winglam said:

Yes, the server has internet access, and the installers are downloaded & located in the default ISOS folder.

What about the MacOS VM :)? It should get an ip in the same range as your server (not the one you might have assiged for the macinabox docker container). Do new devices on your home network by default have access to the internet or do you block new devices?

1 hour ago, RezzZ said:

What about the MacOS VM :)? It should get an ip in the same range as your server (not the one you might have assiged for the macinabox docker container). Do new devices on your home network by default have access to the internet or do you block new devices?

nothing wrong with my internet. I can't start any kind of installation because the bootloader doesn't load/ see any ISO. as you see in the picture, there is no option to start any installation.

ScreenShot2024-10-05at3_58_26AM.thumb.png.a48dbcda86426b67417769af9f1deefc.png