[Support] binhex - MinecraftServer

Overview: Support for Docker image arch-minecraftserver in the binhex repo.

Application: MinecraftServer - https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/download/server/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-minecraftserver/

GitHub: https://github.com/binhex/arch-minecraftserver

Documentation: https://github.com/binhex/documentation

If you appreciate my work, then please consider buying me a beer 😁

btn_donate_SM.gif&key=57f6b617e37a194c35

For other Docker support threads and requests, news and Docker template support for the binhex repository please use the "General" thread here

Edited by binhex

Is there a step-by-step guide into using this?

I set it up with default options.

I open a minecraft client, add the server, it DOES get added and DOES get detected as such.
I know this because:

a) If I connect using a snapshot, it tells me this is a 1.14.4 server and I cannot connect.

b) If I see it using 1.14.4 client, it shows as a server with 0/20 connections.

BUT when I click to connect, it fails.

Are any logs or anything to help?

NOTE server is over VPN to my home, but I know VPN works ok and ports pass through properly.

Will also try directly inside home LAN later tonight.

3 hours ago, NLS said:

Where?

I don't think my router is involved within my LAN.

You mean change the ports to UDP somewhere else?

Sorry, my first message never showed up.

Go into the Docker tab, edit the Bedrock Server docker, click on "Edit" for Host Port 1 and Host Port 2, change the protocol for each of them to UDP from TCP.

Ugh never mind.  I posted this in the wrong thread.  This is how I fixed the Bedrock server, not the Java one.  Sorry.

Edited by BoxOfSnoo
Oops wrong docker

This worked kind of right off the bat for me.  I was unable to find any instructions though.  Probably basic stuff for experienced minecrafters.  used terminal to adjust server.properties and had to delete the world folder that was there for default before it would regenerate the world.  Anyhow would love to find the documentation, such as how do the backups work.  Kiddo is in and having fun.

c_n0te, you will need port forwarding and some way to point to your WAN IP if it changes (like dyndns).

But I still can't make it work at all.

Anybody can help me step by step?

EDIT: WORKS with normal launcher. The launcher was the problem.

Edited by NLS

Thank you for this, it was really easy to setup, and get a minecraft server working.

I do have a question, I'm not sure if its my server, or the docker since its fairly new. About every 10-15 minutes the server will "lag" and if you were walking, you'd teleport about 3-5 seconds prior to its "lag" or any activity during this event will reverse about 3-5 seconds prior to the incident. If it happened every couple of hours I wouldn't care, but its happening to me, and the other people playing on the server at the exact same time. 

Specs of server: dual core xeon, 64gb of memory, 500gb dual cache, dual (bonded) nic on 1gbps fiber. 

i've allocated a max of 10gb of memory and 10 threads to the server. I believe that is enough to run with only 3-4 people playing. 
image.png.5fda45433868f6b54ed74a673bdbc73d.png

21 minutes ago, WastedMoment said:

i've allocated a max of 10gb of memory and 10 threads to the server. I believe that is enough to run with only 3-4 people playing. 

im assuming this adjustment from the default made no difference, right?.

Are you by any chance, pining cores to docker containers or vm's?, if so this will also have a potential impact on performance. Another thing to keep in mind is where the server config is running from, do you have a cache drive, if so is it ssd/nvme?

8 minutes ago, binhex said:

im assuming this adjustment from the default made no difference, right?.

Are you by any chance, pining cores to docker containers or vm's?, if so this will also have a potential impact on performance. Another thing to keep in mind is where the server config is running from, do you have a cache drive, if so is it ssd/nvme?

Yeah, default settings vs my adjusted didn't make any change really, other than the world renders faster.

The cache drive is SSD samsung 860 evos, non nvme, and the appdata folder is set use cache drive. 

14 hours ago, WastedMoment said:

Yeah, default settings vs my adjusted didn't make any change really, other than the world renders faster.

The cache drive is SSD samsung 860 evos, non nvme, and the appdata folder is set use cache drive.

Wich processor are you using?

Minecraft java edition prefers speed over core count.

This also sounds like a autosave issue.

Did you get any error messages in the logs somthing like: Can't keep up...?

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

Wich processor are you using?

Minecraft java edition prefers speed over core count.

This also sounds like a autosave issue.

Did you get any error messages in the logs somthing like: Can't keep up...?

my processors are dual xeon e5-2630l

and no messages at all, it felt like an autosave issue to me as well due to its frequency, and how it happens in almost the same interval. 

I was wrong, I went through the logs in the app data (I was looking at the docker logs originally, sorry noob mistake) . I am getting an overloaded error, and here are the latest two...

[14:55:51] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Is the server overloaded? Running 4287ms or 85 ticks behind
[15:00:53] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Is the server overloaded? Running 2090ms or 41 ticks behind

My apologies, I guess it is an issue with my hardware.

Edited by WastedMoment