[Support] binhex - MinecraftServer

Hey, I've gotten this working under a reverse proxy to play with friends. Is there a way to install minecraft plugins in this docker container though?

The reason I ask is that I have a bunch of friends that play on Bedrock and can't access Java. GeyserMC would solve this but there is seemingly no way to install it on this docker container as there is no plugins folder. 

Any answer would be very much appreciated, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 10:10 AM, binhex said:

i used the doc and did docker exec -u nobody -it binhex-minecraftserver /usr/bin/minecraftd console but i got a 

root@Hal:~# docker exec -u nobody -it binhex-minecraftserver /usr/bin/minecraftd console
OCI runtime exec failed: exec failed: unable to start container process: exec: "/usr/bin/minecraftd": stat /usr/bin/minecraftd: no such file or directory: unknown

cant find any minecraftd in the bin dir, im using the default docker and have not done anything else than installing latest version. My mind is blank what i did wrong

On 9/2/2023 at 4:45 PM, orlando500 said:

i used the doc and did docker exec -u nobody -it binhex-minecraftserver /usr/bin/minecraftd console but i got a 

root@Hal:~# docker exec -u nobody -it binhex-minecraftserver /usr/bin/minecraftd console
OCI runtime exec failed: exec failed: unable to start container process: exec: "/usr/bin/minecraftd": stat /usr/bin/minecraftd: no such file or directory: unknown

cant find any minecraftd in the bin dir, im using the default docker and have not done anything else than installing latest version. My mind is blank what i did wrong

That doc was written before i added in Web UI access, my recommendation would be to use the Web UI to access the Minecraft Console instead, its more convenient that attaching to the console of the container.

On 9/7/2023 at 11:52 PM, Vivent said:

Is there a chance that we would get more Java versions on this container? I'm playing on fabric and some of the mods are compiled with Java 17, and some with even Java 20 (class version 64), but the container seems to only run Java 16

The container includes a number of versions of java which can be chosen by defining the version in JAVA_VERSION, the options are 8, 11, 17, and 'latest' (whatever is the latest at this time).

I think you will find the latest Java version is 20, so not sure where you are seeing Java 16, that would be from a very old image.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 5:19 AM, binhex said:

That doc was written before i added in Web UI access, my recommendation would be to use the Web UI to access the Minecraft Console instead, its more convenient that attaching to the console of the container.

the webui won't let me scroll up the console ( : stuff: permission denied (user nobody)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was previously possible to scroll, when you start/restart the container and immediately open up the web ui or if the tab was not sleeping. After a refresh of the web ui, it generally was showing just a single page full of logs or less. It's been awhile since I checked out the MCServer, just noticed this behaviour after updating papermc and installed plugins then opened up web ui to see any plugin errors were being logged. But due to the nature of start up as many lines of logs are written one after another, not being able to scroll at all, really limits the usefulness of the web ui (at least for me).

13 hours ago, binhex said:

limitation of the software i use to give you a web ui to the console, not a lot i can do about that, i'm all ears for an alternative that lets you do this

I'm not a MC or Java expert but if you would provide some details about the current approach, I might come up with an idea being in software development nevertheless. ;)

28 minutes ago, Torsken_Dertil said:

How do i change the version and prevent it from updating in the future. its currently 1.20.4 how can i go back to 1.20.1

very simple to do, simply go here, find the version you want from the tag, then left click container, select edit and then append `:<version from the tag>' to the  'Repository:' name, for example:-

binhex/arch-minecraftserver:1.20.3-01

Click apply to pull down the earlier image, you will then be hard set to a specific tag and you will not receive updates.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I read this two year old post from user KryptykHermit, that describes how to set up the binhex minecraft docker to set up a minecraft server that works with forge. Unfortunately, I couldn't manage to correctly install Forge for Minecraft 1.20.1

I think the reason for it not to work is that when locally installing the forge server on my PC, there is no file "forge-1.20.1-47.0.35.jar" generated, as KryptykHermit described in step 8.

I tried replacing this file with the each of the files "forge-1.20.1-47.0.35-server.jar" and "forge-1.20.1-47.0.35-universal.jar", but this didnt work either.

Does someone have an updated guide how to install forge on the docker or tell me what I'm doing wrong, I would really appreciate if you guys can help me out! 🙂

Thanks, Babylon

EDIT: I now managed to get Forge installed on my Minecraft server using the "crafty4" App. If you are looking for an easy-to-set-up, user-friendly possibility to set up a simple server with some mods, this is the way!

Edited by Babylon

Hi,

i´m trying to setup a Minecraft server for my son and his friends. Bear with me as i´m not really familiar with Minecraft and it´s terminology...

The docker installed fine and we´re able to connect to the server and start playing. However, my son is reporting that the server is seriously lagging. We did a test with a friend and after a short time (2-3 minutes), the server crashed.

At the server console, i´m getting messages like "can´t keep up. Is server overloaded?".

I did CPU-pinning with 3 CPU cores. CPU is i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz with 32GB RAM. I was thinking that should be enough for 1-2 players...

Any ideas where to look at?

Thanks,
Hocky

18 hours ago, hocky said:

Hi,

i´m trying to setup a Minecraft server for my son and his friends. Bear with me as i´m not really familiar with Minecraft and it´s terminology...

The docker installed fine and we´re able to connect to the server and start playing. However, my son is reporting that the server is seriously lagging. We did a test with a friend and after a short time (2-3 minutes), the server crashed.

At the server console, i´m getting messages like "can´t keep up. Is server overloaded?".

I did CPU-pinning with 3 CPU cores. CPU is i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz with 32GB RAM. I was thinking that should be enough for 1-2 players...

Any ideas where to look at?

Thanks,
Hocky

Try increasing JAVA_INITIAL_HEAP_SIZE and JAVA_MAX_HEAP_SIZE values in the template.

I have set XMX_SIZE to 4G, XMS_SIZE to 2G and XMN_SIZE to 2G and it works relatively well with 3 players. I wouldn't worry about CPU pinning. I let it decide for itself how many cores to use. I have another 10 mods running on my server.

Next, I have set:

view-distance=10

Maybe you need more CPU cores. I guess

Edited by Aeloth
49 minutes ago, Aeloth said:

I have set XMX_SIZE to 4G, XMS_SIZE to 2G and XMN_SIZE to 2G and it works relatively well with 3 players. I wouldn't worry about CPU pinning. I let it decide for itself how many cores to use. I have another 10 mods running on my server.

Next, I have set:

view-distance=10

Mh, that´s strange.

49 minutes ago, Aeloth said:

Maybe you need more CPU cores. I guess

Well, i´ve got 12 cores of which 5 are in use by VMs. One other docker (Ubiquiti Unifi server) is running.

Overall load of the server is around or below 10% and not even half the RAM are currently utilized...

Having said that, i think there must be something else...

Edited by hocky

Actually I don't split the cpus pinnings on the server at all, I give everyone the maximum, I don't know if I'm doing it right or not, but I have 51 containers in the docker and 31 of them are running. and 1 VM.. maybe try another minecraft container, i actually have another one... from fithwum but that's also with fabric loader.