XBMC

Andrew307

The best current one now is probably the AsRock Vision 3D. Form factor similar to the Mac Mini, but with way more features and horsepower. It's using a Core i3M along with GeForce 425M graphics. It has a slot loading Blu-Ray/DVD-RW drive, card readers in the front, and comes with an MCE remote.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3954/asrocks-highend-vision-3d-htpc-reviewed/1

at $850 US it had better make me coffee too.

+1 For Acer Revo.

I have 2 Acer Revo's running XBMC Darma Final but have setup 15 or so for friends and family.

Installed to the internal HDD using the XBMC Live! CD. The Revo supports 1080p with audio directly to my AMP via HDMI. Microsoft MCE remote controls work perfectly.

I've got a long history with XBMC and have been running it since the first release hit Xbox1. I had a brief affair with the Popcorn-Hour but ditched it when XBMC achieved hardware playback via VDPAU and have never looked back.

@Chanders.  No, I dislike the Boxee Box very much.  Ive moved back to my WD TV live until I can get XBMC set up.  The Boxee UI is clunky and undefined.  I dont want all the online content (crappy free movies) mushed in with my movies.  You cant even fast forward/backwards smoothly (it does it in weird chunks).  Playback is mediocre.

Meh.  Just my opinion :)

Agreed. Mine went back to Amazon as well - and I'd so wanted it be good. Alas, it wasn't. I'm now going the xbmc route, too, and my pick is the zotax zbox ib-11. So configurable, and apparently, if you put a small SSD inside, browsing thousands of movies is real quick. Not an immediate project, but it should come to fruition within the next two or three months.

I just got my Shuttle XS35GT and threw on Openelec, and wow what an awesome combination. I can't believe I've been using WMP! Now I need to figure out what to do with my old HTCP.

How many drive bays does it have?

There is barely any space inside, it has room for one slim optical drive and a 2.5" hard drive. But it's nice and fanless, silent with a SSD :)

I think he was asking about your old HTPC ...

Oops missed that, here are all of the specs. I'm going to throw it up on Craigslist sometime this week.

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04 - OEM

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E7200

DFI BloodIron P35-T2RL LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum front panel, 0.8 mm SECC body LC17-B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active ...

GIGABYTE GV-NX86T256H GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card